This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights 081001 - Comics are for Boys

124»

Comments

• Thank you for the KO Century Beast OP, It is watching things like this that make me realize that I am missing out on a lot of good anime.
  • edited October 2008
    Uh I like that. Looks very James Bond, in the since that the cockpit could detach and float, slide or roll.
    Do you mean that "It looks like something James Bond would use"? One problem. James Bond has style.
    No, it looks like it does more things then going down the street.
    Edited from double post: Lol, I'm sure there are plenty modern cars not made by Americans that are a bad drive. I gotta friend that has a Peugeot 206 and it felt pretty bad to drive.
    Post edited by sucrilhos on
  • Some other comics with unisex appeal are the Flight anthologies, started by Kazu Kibuishi of Copper fame.
    I saw this at the bookstore the other day. I went through a few pages and thought it looked pretty awesome. I will have to add this to my list of comics to buy. Has anyone else read this series yet? If so, what do you think about it?
  • edited October 2008
    Some are great, some are okay, some are happy, some are sad, and some are just weird?

I like Flight. It's an anthology, though, so some artists appeal to me more than others.
    Post edited by gomidog on
  • Some are great, some are okay, some are happy, some are sad, and some are just weird?

I like Flight. It's an anthology, though, so some artists appeal to me more than others.
    Have you ever thought of approaching Kibuishi with a short comic?
  • EDIT: Also, HO scale sucks. O, O27, and N scale are where it's all at.
    I beg to differ. I grew up with Märklin trains in HO. Hours of enjoyment were had. Although, to be realistic, N is probably a lot more cost-effective.

I have often had dreams of getting a Z setup, but they are ridiculously cost-prohibitive.
  • I love how the Marvel Cinematic Universe is so popular among women, which is now angering the grognard comic fan dudes.
  • My favourite thing about the MCU is that it finally gives me a geeky topic other than Dune (there's only so many times I can hear that I was named after Lady Jessica) that I can talk to my mother about. I do feel like a tide is turning, and I have huge fucking hopes for the Captain Marvel movie and what that will do for the female solo movies. It still bothers me that there have been more leading actors with the first name "Chris" than there have been POC in the movies, but once again the fact they've announced Black Panther gives hope.

It's come a long way from when I saw the first Iron Man movie and looked around the cinema and saw that I was the woman in the room.

I must say, I still don't feel very welcome in comic shops, even my local one where I have a pull list. Depending on who I get served by, most often the male clerk assumes I'm there with someone else - generally whatever guy is already standing at the counter. The look of shock when I ask for my pull bag is getting really old. Thankfully they have an amazing female clerk who I get along with great. I wish I could time my visit to only times that she's working, because she always makes me feel welcomed and gives great recommendations.
  • I was amazed to see there are comic shops in the city, I thought they would have all died. There were 2 female clerks but the store had nothing good. It was so weird seeing people buy comics that were overpriced, I've been buying from Amazon and the Book Depository for so long now.
  • Moral of the story: gender does not determine what you like, so chill out and enjoy what you like with people who also enjoy what you like.