This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Fail of Your Day

Comments

• edited May 2010
    My FotD: I found out about and read the plot summary for The Human Centipede. Dear sweet Lovecraft, not even Franken Fran approaches that level of riotously evil plot and imagery.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • I can't decide if it should be TOYD or FOYD, this, but I suppose it's a pretty major fail - New Zealand Rally driver Mark Tapper rolls it, after getting distraced when mooned by a spectator. Possibly NSFW for Tapper's reaction.

• The Bible doesn't clearly define who is and is not a witch, though.
    Well, not in the translation, but in the earlier hebrew version it does - People who practice magic that doesn't come from The Abrahamic god, for example, k'shaphim, one of the more feared forms of magic at the time. Doesn't quite make it through to the translation, though.
    I believe I stated previously that the Bible does say that Witches are evil and should be killed, but what I was trying to say was simply that God didn't apparently tell the Pilgrims to kill those specific woman and call them witches, which is what Li seemed to be implying. That was the only point I was trying to get across.
  • Kentucky may be added to my list of states I don't consider part of the union. Aside from, you know, being Kentucky, the conservatives in the state nominated Rand Paul from the tea party to run against the Democrat candidate. This wouldn't bother me so much if Kentucky was just electing stupid to some local position, but considering this moran opposed the IRS and the Department of Education's existence, I want this sonofabitch nowhere NEAR my federal government. I only hope that Kentucky votes for Conway, because it's only friends will be Texas (for stupid), Utah(for 'legal' stupid), and Arizona (KKK)otherwise.
  • How can a rational person be opposed to the IRS? How are we going to make sure people pay taxes? The honor system?
  • rational person
    See, there's your problem.
  • See, there's your problem.
    Damn, I was afraid of that.
  • Rochester Economy. ARGHHHHH.
  • edited May 2010
    I believe I stated previously that the Bible does say that Witches are evil and should be killed, but what I was trying to say was simply that God didn't apparently tell the Pilgrims to kill those specific woman and call them witches, which is what Li seemed to be implying. That was the only point I was trying to get across.
    Nope. But they thought they WERE witches(both men and women, I might add), and the bible said that you should kill witches, and therefore(according to their beliefs, God was saying that they were to kill them. It doesn't give names, nor a place, time, or who should be doing the killing. It just says "Witches? Kill em all."

Though, I don't agree with the "Oh, god didn't say kill those SPECIFIC people, despite that it said kill the group of people that the pilgrims thought they belonged to" because that's just dodging the blame. Sure, the bible did not say "Kill these specific people right here, at this time, you guys there" - it just says "Hey guys, do me a big old favor, and wouldya kill this group of people here? Nah, don't worry about specifics, just anyone in that group. Thanks, you're a peach." - And since they acted in such a fashion that at the time was considered to be sinful and influenced by Satan, and had the misfortune to have done something that people thought of as the typical behaviour of witches, bam, that's a hangin'.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • edited May 2010
    And since they acted in such a fashion that at the time was considered to be sinful and influenced by Satan, and had the misfortune to have done something that people thought of as the typical behaviour of witches, bam, that's a hangin'.
    "Starin' at my gallows? Oooooooooooh, you better believe that's a hangin'."
    Post edited by Funfetus on
  • And since they acted in such a fashion that at the time was considered to be sinful and influenced by Satan, and had the misfortune to have done something that people thought of as the typical behaviour of witches, bam, that's a hangin'.
    "Starin' at my gallows? Oooooooooooh, you better believe that's a hangin'."
    If we are staring at your knockers, is that a bangin'?
  • Fail of the day learning a co-worker is "libertarian" I.E. a Loyal Glenn Beck viewer. When asked if she reads any books that are not written by a conservative, she responded "What like "Silent Spring?" to which I replied "that wouldn't be the first book I would mention as being liberal, it's a book about a disaster in India." coworker "Well environmental disaster = liberalism" me "What? thousands of people dieing because of a disaster in India because of lack of regulation? is a book of liberal propaganda?" Co-worker "Yes, it's environmental" Me "So people dieing is good?" Co-worker "Well, look you have to consider it culling population" Me "what if you were one of those victims" Co-worker "It was my time" Me "Ok, let me get out of your way then".

You can't argue with someone who say the death of 1,000s of people by a freak accident that could have been prevented by simple regulation, Culling the population.....
  • edited May 2010
    I'm all for not whining about everyone who dies, but culling the population...
    Post edited by George Patches on
  • Wait... how is Silent Spring about a disaster in India? It was about unrestrained pesticide use and the detrimental effects, and her examples were from the US. They prompted an investigation in the US of the effects of said chemicals, which led to regulation. Carson was simply trying to raise awareness of a problem in the US and get people to deal with it.

As for how that is liberal... well, if conservatives want to preserve the status quo, and liberals want change, then advocating for any change at all would be liberal, right? She advocated for regulation, and that's a liberal way of going about things. Besides, at the time it was published, environmentalism was very much a liberal topic. It was not very prominent in the public view.
  • edited May 2010
    Wait... how isSilent Springabout a disaster in India? It was about unrestrained pesticide use and the detrimental effects, and her examples were from the US. They prompted an investigation in the US of the effects of said chemicals, which led to regulation. Carson was simply trying to raise awareness of a problem in the US and get people to deal with it.
    I got the book confused with one talking about this disaster Bhopal disasterWhich was my mistake (I apparently confused my NPR stories i heard years ago) but clearly she didn't know about the book she was referencing anyhow. (because she didn't call me on it and continued down that road) I'm not sure one can argue with logic when it gets to that point.
    Post edited by Cremlian on
  • Well, I wasted 10 dollars trying a Caribbean Restaurant in Town today...

Food was quick, cheap and okay but man, the service was crap. Nothing complementary, I had to ASK for Silverware, everyone else got sauces for the food except for me, I had to walk up to pay my check and even correct an error on my bill. The meat was juicy and the fried foods were crispy but that was about it. It lacked taste.

Meh, the hunt to find a good restaurant in Harrisonburg, VA continues.
  • Which was my mistake (I apparently confused my NPR stories i heard years ago) but clearly she didn't know about the book she was referencing anyhow. (because she didn't call me on it and continued down that road) I'm not sure one can argue with logic when it gets to that point.
    Okay, that makes sense. I was wondering if I'd missed a major part of the book! Anyway, it's possible she just glossed over your mistake because she didn't feel like correcting you. I do that all the time when random people make comments about legal stuff. The point is that you made your point - she doesn't vary her reading material much.
  • Idiot on Facebook points out that "Spain didn't even place" in the last World Cup and tries to state that Brazil's past victories make it more likely to win now (despite Spain being second in Elo and FIFA rank right now). I am being trolled so fucking hard, but I cannot stop the rage from just bleeding out of me.
  • edited May 2010
    ...tries to state that Brazil's past victories make it more likely to win now...
    On a tangentially related note, It pisses me off when people play roulette or craps, study the past winning numbers, and then try to figure out which numbers are "due." Something like this: "The last three numbers came up red, so a black is due." Give me a break.
    Post edited by progSHELL on
  • I cried while transcribing today. The case involves a child's rather horrific death and I have to transcribe the discovery and deposition summaries to forward on to our claims division.
  • I cried while transcribing today. The case involves a child's rather horrific death and I have to transcribe the discovery and deposition summaries to forward on to our claims division.
    I have a friend who used to do that. It there's a reason she doesn't do it anymore.

Well, you know what has been disappointing and making me want to cry and/or get angry and do some fucking up. My fiances' brother and his wife are pretty damn racist. Lets just say they showed their true colors when I wasn't around or in earshot. Jed was very disgusted and so was I obviously. This all happened about a week or more ago and I can't stop feeling horrible and angry and I'm not gonna just sweep this under the rug. It just really saddens me because in a year or so I will be related to these folks by marriage.
  • Kate - that is kind of... terrible. I'm sorry anyone has to do that.

I will need a part-time job in the fall because I misread a form about the annual maximum for Stafford loans. This is only a partial fail, because I was going to try to get a job anyway.
  • edited May 2010
    They're selling strategy guides on Steam. My first thought was: "They still make strategy guides?".

I'm feeling particularly emotionally vacant at the moment, so I'll refrain from commenting on the above posts.
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • I've slowly coming to grips with myself that I need to sell my 89 Camaro project car as I never work on it. I like being able to work on cars, but I don't really like working on them as a hobby. I prefer just driving.
  • Idiot on Facebook points out that "Spain didn't even place" in the last World Cup and tries to state that Brazil's past victories make it more likely to win now (despite Spain being second in Elo and FIFA rank right now). I am being trolled so fucking hard, but I cannot stop the rage from just bleeding out of me.
    To be fair, you would be mad to write off Brazil and the Spanish are known for bottling it in World Cups, and the rankings don't really count for much. Still I would have Spain down as one of the favs, along side Brazil and the Argies (if it wasn't for their bat shit crazy manager, they would be firm favs). England an outside bet if Rooney stays fit and plays to his full potential.
  • edited May 2010
    "I'm bleeding out of my fucking balls, dude!"
    Post edited by Funfetus on
  • "I'm bleeding out of my fucking balls, dude!"
    Oh to be a 13-year-old with a skateboard again.
  • you would be mad to write off Brazil
    I've been watching football all my life; I am painfully aware of Brazil's prowess. I also hate them with a blind passion, but that's just fandom at work.
    Spanish are known for bottling it in World Cups
    There have only been 18 Cups, so that sample size is mighty small. Plus, four years in between each Cup makes teams radically different each time around. I'm not worried. Guts is the difference between 75 and 100 percent. Spain has guts.
  • I've lost access to my Windows 7 Partition today tried recovering via disk didn't work there goes about a year of Music,Movies, and Programs. Fuck
    Oh dear. That's terrible. I'd hug you right now, if I could.

This actually reminds me of something my mother had to do. One of my aunts was murdered by her husband, and my mother, about twelve years later, had to write in detail about how my aunt was murdered because he was being paroled. She was trying to keep him in jail. I was about nine at the time, and found her weeping that day. I spent that entire afternoon trying to cheer her up.

I'm going to tell you what I told her (or, rather, paraphrase because I can't quite remember how I put it back then): You cry all you want. Let the stream run dry, and when you are done, do not forget them. Their memory deserves to live on.