This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Fail of Your Day

Comments

• edited May 2010
    39°C/102°F fever.
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • A very famous and time honored, old school ice cream shop known as Clark's Dairy in New Haven is closing down on the 31st of May of 2010. This is a very big deal because, for over 60 years, Clark's Dairy has been the official meeting and hanging out place for all the Elis (term for Yale Students). If I had to liken Clark's Dairy to something similar, imagine if Gracie's in RIT just closed down. I imagine some kind of big deal would be had, but I can't say for sure since I've never been there. I'm going to be eating there for a while and will be there on the eve of it's closing.
  • edited May 2010
    imagine if Gracie's in RIT just closed down.
    That would be the best day ever.

Edit: A better analogy would probably be Jay's Diner.
    Post edited by trogdor9 on
  • That would be the best day ever.
    You don't realize it now, but (at least when I was there) RIT Food Service is considered top-notch in the food service industry. You'll be hard-pressed to find better stuff. While Gracie's seems like ass, believe me, the food is actually pretty good. You just get tired of it. I used to work there, primarily in the dishline, so I know a thing or two about the food.

The Crossroads is still supreme, though.
  • TheWhaleShark, my biggest problem with Gracie's has always been inconvenience and price. At ~$10 per meal, when I would be satisfied with a $6 sandwich & chips, it gets pretty frustrating.
  • I am absolutely devastated. I just learned that My mentor and the most important person in my entire life, the one who taught me everything about social skills and communication, but most importantly the one who didn't give up on me; has cancer of the lymph nodes. How do I deal with this? I've never known anyone who has had cancer.
  • How do I deal with this?
    You are dealing with it now. Sorry, but that's how things go. If you are still able to post to an internet forum, you're probably doing okay. If you immediately went out to get drunk at 10am, you're still doing pretty well.
  • Hey, Geo, I had lymphoma that was caused by skin cancer. From my perspective, the best way to deal with it is to realize that it isn't necessarily a death sentence. There are many treatments and, depending on the stage of his/her cancer, that their chances at survival may be quite good. Be supportive, understanding, positive and if the person asks for something, be willing to do it - even if the person asks you just to let them be or to put it out of your mind. I wish him/her, you, and all those that love him/her the very best in this situation. Just stay positive for the person's sake and for your own.
  • Be supportive, understanding, positive and if the person asks for something, be willing to do it - even if the person asks you just to let them be or to put it out of your mind.
    This. A lot of cancer patients get treated like china dolls because people are uncomfortable around them or don't know how to act. They are also often exhausted because of the treatments. Don't change the way you interact with the person, except to be a little more patient and supportive. I know one thing that really helped out when my mom got cancer was when people would come over and just help out with little things, like bringing/cooking a meal or doing a chore or two. Unfortunately she still felt isolated, because people wouldn't stay to socialize; they just showed up, did whatever they came to do, and left. Sick people are still people. Don't count your mentor as down and out until it's for sure, and even if that happens, you should make the time that's left as enjoyable as possible. No one wants other people constantly reminding them of the shitty position that they are in.

You should also be honest if you have questions or worries; it's a lot easier on both of you if you just come out with it instead of suppressing it. It'll make you act weird if you have too much building up, and people are super-sensitive to that. Just make it clear that it's okay if he/she doesn't feel like talking about it. Just asking will probably help you feel a little better. The enemy you know is easier to cope with than the enemy you don't.
  • Ronnie James Dio died today :(
  • Ronnie James Dio died today :(
  • I am absolutely devastated. I just learned that My mentor and the most important person in my entire life, the one who taught me everything about social skills and communication, but most importantly the one who didn't give up on me; has cancer of the lymph nodes. How do I deal with this? I've never known anyone who has had cancer.
    A friend's father had that same type of cancer, and has been cured for a while now. Hopefully your mentor will share the same fate! My dad has had 2 cancers so far, gums, and prostate and he is also cured. My best wishes to your mentor and do the best you can to support him.
  • edited May 2010
    I am absolutely devastated. I just learned that My mentor and the most important person in my entire life, the one who taught me everything about social skills and communication, but most importantly the one who didn't give up on me; has cancer of the lymph nodes. How do I deal with this? I've never known anyone who has had cancer.
    A friend's father had that same type of cancer, and has been cured for a while now. Hopefully your mentor will share the same fate! My dad has had 2 cancers so far, gums, and prostate and he is also cured. My best wishes to your mentor and do the best you can to support him.
    I absolutely hope the best for you.

Currently, I'm feeling very depressed like a racist scumbag. I learned today that most of my writing friends apparently have Autism or a case of mental disorder through Bipolar Disorder or OCD. And, I'm going insane because it feels like anyone who has a love of anything geeky has a form of autism. When I was growing up, every time I had to encounter someone who had a form of Autism, it was just eternally depressing or they were in general horrible people. It almost feels like the label of Autism is even worst than the real disorder. I mean, how can you even draw that label of where someone has something mentally wrong with them or has just certain personality traits?

It puts a fear in me, like I have Bipolar Disorder or Asperger's just because I act certain ways or love certain things. I still talk to people all the time and I'm very supportive. It just feels like fuck, if you aren't normal, there is now a scientific label that proves you are inferior to others. So I'm feeling like a belligerent prejudice douche at the moment...right before classes start.
    Post edited by Nukerjsr on
  • edited May 2010
    It puts a fear in me, like I have Bipolar Disorder or Asperger's just because I act certain ways or love certain things.
    On a semi-related note, the other day someone asked me why I never wore jeans and I told them it was because I didn't like the feel of denim. I then proceeded to get a lecture about how a sensitivity to denim is a sign of Asperger's. I started laughing because I found the idea of me having Asperger's to be ridiculous, but even if I did, it's like you said. The label can be worse than the actual disorder. It's not worth worrying about the way a certain condition would affect the way you think because it's just the way you think anyway. If I was one day diagnosed with Asperger's, I don't think that it would affect my life that much. It's not like I'd suddenly be different now that someone has given me a word to describe my mental process.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • edited May 2010
    Look, Asperger's is something that doesn't bother the people who have it. My boss (and good friend) has a son with Asperger's and it doesn't bother him at all. However it does bother me when he yells at me without any spaces between his words and I can't understand what the hell he's saying. I'm not someone who's overly sensitive, and I expect people to hate me for it, but when SOMEONETALKSLIKETHISINPERSONITREALLYREALLYIRRITATESME. On a related note I often wonder if I'm more sociopathic than average due to my general inability to feel empathy or pity, but it doesn't bother me.

So in conclusion screw people putting labels on you, just put yourself in a position where you can use your strengths. Remember that there are other people out there who will get you no matter how psychotic your shrink tells you you are, look even I have friends (at least people who pretend to my face).
    Post edited by Sova on
  • edited May 2010
    On a semi-related note, the other day someone asked me why I never wore jeans and I told them it was because I didn't like the feel of denim.
    High-motherfucking-five!
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • It puts a fear in me, like I have Bipolar Disorder or Asperger's just because I act certain ways or love certain things. ... It just feels like fuck, if you aren't normal, there is now a scientific label that proves you are inferior to others.
    *sigh* It's shit like this that really makes me hate the way our society is going when it comes to mental health and disabilities. It does two things at the same time, neither of which are of any benefit to anyone. 1) Diagnosing people with mental disorders makes them feel different, and no amount of society saying, "It's okay, we'll still support you" ever helps them. 2) Once other people find out about the disorder, they now feel that those poor people are different, and when it comes to majority versus minority, the majority will ALWAYS feel superior. That's just the way human nature works. It's bullshit and I hate it.

I'm going to give a little bit of my perspective on this issue. As of the time I'm writing this, I have only one friend, my best and most trustworthy friend, who knows that I had brain damage as a newborn. Not much anyone could do about it. I came out purple as a plum, and I was in an ICU for three days while doctors forced oxygen into my blood stream. I don't know if any tests were really done to prove the damage occurred, but the chances were pretty high. As I grew up, my parents were very worried about me as I happened to show a lot of bad symptoms, similar to autism. I can look back on my childhood now and see a lot of autistic symptoms in my daily life. Rebellious, trouble socializing, trouble learning, insomnia, and a repetitive nature.

So, does that mean I am autistic? I don't know. Probably not. Most of the problems I had as a kid, I've grown out of. Sure I may not be the smoothest talker, or the most charismatic guy, and my brain still operates in the same way as when I was younger (meaning that it constantly strives to sort everything into patterns, orders, and rhythms without provocation). All I know is that if some doctor were to tell me today that I do, in fact, have a mental disorder of some kind, my response would be the same as it is now. I wouldn't tell anybody. It's none of their damn business. It doesn't change who I am.

And if people still want to label you, well fuck them. Be content with knowing that while they refuse to see beyond themselves and remain at the level of mediocrity, you are always pushing yourself to become better, to see beyond what you are, but rather, see what you can achieve.
  • In my entire life I've owned maybe two pairs of jeans, and those when I was about 12. I don't like the look, I don't like the feel, I really don't like anything about jeans.
  • edited May 2010
    In my entire life I've owned maybe two pairs of jeans, and those when I was about 12. I don't like the look, I don't like the feel, I really don't like anything about jeans.
    I don't know, they can be useful at times - I've got a pair of welders jeans, not that great for style or anything that I don't give a shit about, but they're damn near fireproof, slash resistant and puncture resistant, as well as having some real useful pockets on the sides. Hell of a lot more comfortable than either getting burns on your legs, or wearing the leather welding pants or a welder's apron during the summer.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • Thankfully, I've never done any welding.
  • I also forgot to mention that I really hate labeling people for a practical purpose as well, when you give someone a label to hide behind they will often use it as a crutch and refuse to go beyond it.

'Adult children of alcoholics' are good examples of exactly what I'm talking about, by giving someone this label you are putting them into a victim mindset. This is something that is beyond their control, they didn't decide to have parents who were alcoholics. Also it's silly, it confuses whether they are children or adults, by having this label it effectively eliminates anything that they can do to break out of current negative habits.

Same goes for people whose parents divorced at a young age. It's bullshit to claim that as a source of all your problems. It happened, you can't change it, move beyond the past and become aware of what's happening now. Use the moment to it's fullest, and stop letting stupid labels hold you back from your true potential.

I easily come off as someone who is full of malice and distaste for others, but I really only hate people who don't take responsibility for their lives to the fullest degree they are able, and people who are weak. Weak meaning they hold themselves back from trying their hardest. The society I live in is full of weak people who are happy to feed off the scraps of others. I find this to be despicable disgusting behavior.
    If I'd have been wearing them when I got stabbed/slashed, I'd probably have had a much better time of it - but then again, how often do you get stabbed or the like, very rarely, I'd assume.
    If I'd have been wearing them when I got stabbed/slashed, I'd probably have had a much better time of it - but then again, how often do you get stabbed or the like, very rarely, I'd assume.
    Only when naked.
  • edited May 2010
    Only when naked.
    Not quite what I was getting at, but fair point, I suppose. If it was what I meant, and the answer remains the same, then goddamn, man, goddamn. And people say I'm kinky.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • On a semi-related note, the other day someone asked me why I never wore jeans and I told them it was because I didn't like the feel of denim.
    High-motherfucking-five!
    Yeah, I agree. I agree completely, and it bothers me when people don't accept that.
    Oddly enough, I have been diagnosed with mild Aspbergers, so I'm intrigued to learn that disliking denim is a symptom. Very interesting.
  • edited May 2010
    It puts a fear in me, like I have Bipolar Disorder or Asperger's just because I act certain ways or love certain things. ... It just feels like fuck, if you aren't normal, there is now a scientific label that proves you are inferior to others.
    *sigh* It's shit like this that really makes me hate the way our society is going when it comes to mental health and disabilities. It does two things at the same time, neither of which are of any benefit to anyone. 1) Diagnosing people with mental disorders makes them feel different, and no amount of society saying, "It's okay, we'll still support you" ever helps them. 2) Once other people find out about the disorder, they now feel that those poor people are different, and when it comes to majority versus minority, the majority will ALWAYS feel superior. That's just the way human nature works. It's bullshit and I hate it.

I'm going to give a little bit of my perspective on this issue. As of the time I'm writing this, I have only one friend, my best and most trustworthy friend, who knows that I had brain damage as a newborn. Not much anyone could do about it. I came out purple as a plum, and I was in an ICU for three days while doctors forced oxygen into my blood stream. I don't know if any tests were really done to prove the damage occurred, but the chances were pretty high. As I grew up, my parents were very worried about me as I happened to show a lot of bad symptoms, similar to autism. I can look back on my childhood now and see a lot of autistic symptoms in my daily life. Rebellious, trouble socializing, trouble learning, insomnia, and a repetitive nature.

So, does that mean I am autistic? I don't know. Probably not. Most of the problems I had as a kid, I've grown out of. Sure I may not be the smoothest talker, or the most charismatic guy, and my brain still operates in the same way as when I was younger (meaning that it constantly strives to sort everything into patterns, orders, and rhythms without provocation). All I know is that if some doctor were to tell me today that I do, in fact, have a mental disorder of some kind, my response would be the same as it is now. I wouldn't tell anybody. It's none of their damn business. It doesn't change who I am.

And if people still want to label you, well fuck them. Be content with knowing that while they refuse to see beyond themselves and remain at the level of mediocrity, you are always pushing yourself to become better, to see beyond what you are, but rather, see what you can achieve.
    That's what I don't like about the whole thing in general. It works as a label for the most part instead of a diagnosis, because it's all mental. There's no problem with someone having a disorder and taking medication or therapy to get through it. But I feel like labeling someone with Autism because they are somewhat strange really screws things up in their life. I'm not just worrying about what other people think of you, but it's puts on an absurd level of negativity that you can't understand or really see. It's like telling someone that they are naturally unfocused, depressed, obsessive and they will have a difficult future in all aspects. I don't understand why you would want to tell other people you have Autism because it automatically labels you.

I understand that my argument is supporting denial, but I'm kind of frightened of it. It's bewildering me how it feels like more and more children have Autism and the symptoms of it are displayed by being creative or geeky. EDIT: I'm saying this mostly because I'm wondering if anyone else has thought the same things I have, or am I really intolerant and wrong.
    In my entire life I've owned maybe two pairs of jeans, and those when I was about 12. I don't like the look, I don't like the feel, I really don't like anything about jeans.
    I don't like the feel, but you can get some really nice jeans that have insulation sown into them. They are extremely comfortable
    Post edited by Nukerjsr on
  • Solution: Wear sweatpants all the time and use Aspberger's as carte blanche to be a dick to anyone you want.
  • What's with all the denim hate? I like jeans. Good ones are tough enough to protect your legs from superficial cuts, and besides, they make my butt look good.

I swear I'm not gay.
  • Jeans stopped my legs getting cut quite badly when I ran myself over with a golf cart.
  • Jeans stopped my legs getting cut quite badly when I ran myself over with a golf cart.
    Waitwat?