This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Fail of Your Day

Comments

• Nice of the gov't to find my mistake and give me more than I asked for back.
    Okay, (1) it's weird that they would do that, and (2) why the frack did they send you a check instead of using DD?
  • Okay, (1) it's weird that they would do that, and (2) why the frack did they send you a check instead of using DD?
    I don't think it's weird. A lot of people didn't know about that credit, but good for your George.

Also, my 1040X (correction) refund was sent via check as well. Even though my original tax return was direct deposited, I think the IRS just wanted to make sure to send a check just in case I closed my checking account. This probably helps because trying to track down a direct deposit that tried to go into a closed account is a pain in the arse.
  • Nice of the gov't to find my mistake and give me more than I asked for back.
    Okay, (1) it's weird that they would do that, and (2) why the frack did they send you a check instead of using DD?
    (1) It's weird only if you think the IRS is evil. This proves to me at least that they're just doing their job. (2) The logic I see here is that I only authorized them to deposit the amount I claimed, thus when it was not that amount they could no longer use the DD authorization.

I checked my return again, I really did miss this credit. So it is legally mine.
  • I meant it is generally weird that the IRS would check people's submissions for credits they missed. If it's a blanket credit over a certain % of people, I have to wonder if perhaps they made an automated process that just scans the submitted returns to check for claiming that credit because so many people missed it. Most of the time they don't have the manpower to check each return. That's why it's weird. Not because the IRS is evil. The DD thing makes sense, now that you put it that way; rather then contacting you for new permission, they just send you a check.
  • I meant it is generally weird that the IRS would check people's submissions for credits they missed. If it's a blanket credit over a certain % of people, I have to wonder if perhaps they made an automated process that just scans the submitted returns to check for claiming that credit because so many people missed it. Most of the time they don't have the manpower to check each return.
    I concur, I believe this was likely computer analyzed. If you knew it should be there, it was pretty obvious I missed it. It was it's own line after all that I left completely blank.
  • edited June 2010

(Specific moment is at the 0:59 mark)
    This has to be one of the worst calls (if not, THE worst) in the history of baseball. Man, do I feel bad for Galarraga. And in all fairness, at least the ump admitted that he messed up. But still......=/
    Post edited by datruth29 on
  • Wouldn't that have been like the third perfect game this month, and the second this WEEK?
  • Wouldn't that have been like the third perfect game this month, and the second this WEEK?
    Yes sir. There was also a no hitter last month. It's insane.
  • I was Just invited to a protest about the Flotilla "Massacre".

I'm sorry, No, You're a fuckwit. Not only did they have cargo that wasn't exactly what you'd call "Relief and humanitarian supplies" (NVGs, Body armor, etc), they were armed with knives, metal bars, and a few guns, and instead of resisting non-violently as would have been the smart thing to do that would have achieved their goal, they fucking fought back before the soldiers ever fired a shot.
    They Attacked the soldiers first - Including one crew-member who managed to take a soldier's weapon and shoot him with it.

That's not a Massacre, It's fucking idiots reaping what they have sewn by acting with the utmost stupidity. The soldiers were not being circumspect about it in any way - If their intent was to raid the boat and harm the crew unprovoked, they wouldn't have fucking fast-roped from a lit-up chopper, with spotlights and the whole shebang. They would have inserted ahead of the boats, caught them as they went past, disabled the propellers and rudder, boarded the boat, killed or captured the crew, and scuttled the boats. It would have been ten times simpler and twenty times safer(for the troops, that is) but they did it very publicly and openly - after warning the floatilla via radio and loudhailer, IIRC - because they didn't intend to harm the crew, but simply to stop the boats.

If the crew had not been stupid, and just sat down quietly, and not said shit, not done shit, and just sat there, and not fought against the soldiers, nor carried arms - then they would have brought immense international pressure on the Israeli government to let the relief through, or even assist them. But no, They had to get stupid, and get themselves killed and arrested. Fucking MORONS.
    This is easily going to be the fail of the month around here...(not the protest situation, just the ENTIRE situation). It's monumental fail living in Israel with this story hanging from everyone's neck like a yoke of impending doom... luckily I avoid any conversation with the far left or the far right wingers around me in this county. Sitting on the fence may hurt, but it's easier than choosing a side. OK, that's IT for my political contribution :)

*(Hope my ellipse addiction doesn't get me in trouble around here)
    Yes sir. There was also a no hitter last month. It's insane.
    I think we need some roid tests again.
  • This is easily going to be the fail of the month around here...(not the protest situation, just the ENTIRE situation). It's monumental fail living in Israel with this story hanging from everyone's neck like a yoke of impending doom... luckily I avoid any conversation with the far left or the far right wingers around me in this county. Sitting on the fence may hurt, but it's easier than choosing a side. OK, that's IT for my political contribution :)
    Oh, I don't chose sides in these issues. I just attempt to correct or at least mitigate the pure WARRRRRGBL produced by the loudmouth idiots on BOTH sides who don't know what the fuck they're talking about - for example, the people who are shouting and yelling about a massacre, but also the people who are shouting that all of the flotilla crew were terrorists, and that they had no humanitarian supplies.

After all, it only takes one small contingent of smugglers, or the right amount of bribes or dishonest people to compromise the cargo on a few boats, or just a small few charismatic or convincing people to talk the crew into doing something really stupid - I'd wager that many people who were crewing the flotilla had the best of intentions, and genuinely thought they were going there only to help, and that there was nothing untoward within any of the cargo in the flotilla.
  • This is easily going to be the fail of the month around here...(not the protest situation, just the ENTIRE situation). It's monumental fail living in Israel with this story hanging from everyone's neck like a yoke of impending doom... luckily I avoid any conversation with the far left or the far right wingers around me in this county. Sitting on the fence may hurt, but it's easier than choosing a side. OK, that's IT for my political contribution :)
    Oh, I don't chose sides in these issues. I just attempt to correct or at least mitigate the pure WARRRRRGBL produced by the loudmouth idiots on BOTH sides who don't know what the fuck they're talking about - for example, the people who are shouting and yelling about a massacre, but also the people who are shouting that all of the flotilla crew were terrorists, and that they had no humanitarian supplies.

After all, it only takes one small contingent of smugglers, or the right amount of bribes or dishonest people to compromise the cargo on a few boats, or just a small few charismatic or convincing people to talk the crew into doing something really stupid - I'd wager that many people who were crewing the flotilla had the best of intentions, and genuinely thought they were going there only to help, and that there was nothing untoward within any of the cargo in the flotilla.
    Yes, I totally agree. Most people have good intentions on both sides. I live in Israel and I have to say that it's bizarre knowing people who are on the extreme left and extreme right and having to listen to them trying to convince me of their story. I find nothing convincing on either side that can allow me to give firm and uncompromising support to anyone. It's very rare in Israel and I'm pretty much alone in this. That's why I try and keep away from politics here but it's not easy. I'm not into oppression in any way but I'm also not into religious fanaticism or nationalism either. Good thing I keep my headphones on when I walk around in the street...
  • Java is very strange at times. It's super easy to make an array of characters into a String when you make a new String, but a pain to do so afterwards.
  • Wolverine and the X-Men and Spectacular Spider-Man were cancelled.
  • Car accident. Adrenaline dumped. Actively crashing.
    Drink water, avoid asprin, avoid stimulants AND depressants, try to get some sleep.
    Drink water, avoid asprin, avoid stimulants AND depressants, try to get some sleep.
    Thanks. I'm well on my way; I totally fell asleep watching TV and stayed asleep for two hours.
  • edited June 2010
    Thanks. I'm well on my way; I totally fell asleep watching TV and stayed asleep for two hours.
    Sorry if I'm telling you things you already know, I just know how much it sucks to have big adrenaline dump-and-crashes like that, and I know I don't always remember my own advice at times like that. Chalk it up to me forgetting that as much as I'm often a voice of experience, I'm also far from alone in these things.

Random - I don't know about you, but I always get the shakes real bad afterwards.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • Wolverine and the X-Men and Spectacular Spider-Man were cancelled.
    Yea I found out about that about 3 weeks ago ;-p
  • edited June 2010
    In an perfect example of "How to make a bad situation worse", Hamas doubles down on the stupidity caused by Israel.
    Hamas refuses aid delivered by Israel.

EDIT: Oh as a bonus, the The UN stopped delivering aid over a year ago. Why? Because Hamas was fucking stealing it and then reselling it on the black market.

EDIT2: Not to be out-stupided, Israel rejects calls for international probes into the raid on the flotilla.
    Post edited by GreatTeacherMacRoss on
  • LOL, I received my first facebook friend request scam..

Hi Scott,
    Christine Banny wants to be friends with you on Facebook.

Christine Banny Christine Banny
    Christine says, "Dearest One,
    May the greetings of Lord be with you, Please, I am Mrs Christine Banny from Cote D' Ivoire, I got married to my late husband Mr André Banny from France, we married for 11 years we couldn't produce any child and my late husband was an international business man,
    may his soul rest in peace.Before his death two years ago I have been suffering from cancer of breast, my doctor told me that I may not live more than 2 months as the result of the sickness. And we deposited the sum of $6.4 million dollars in one of the local bank here in our country for our business, before the death of my husband, now I decide to use this money to help the less privileges like poor widows, orphans, disables and build churches.I was touched in spirit to donate the money to you, to use it for the good work of God.
    Please reply soon for better explanation,
    I am waiting for your urgent reply to my private email:christine_banny@yahoo.co.jp
    Best Regards,
    Mrs Christine Banny.".
  • And from a Japanese yahoo account to boot. Might I recommend 419eater.com?
  • Random - I don't know about you, but I always get the shakes real bad afterwards.
    After the crisis is dealt with and I'm at home - oh yeah. Big time.
  • Random - I don't know about you, but I always get the shakes real bad afterwards.
    Guess I'm the exception, I walk away from near death driving experiences and say, "can we go again?" But my self assessment at work gives me a panic attack. :P
  • Hey guys, you wanna know what Dennis Hopper's last role is gonna be? It's gonna be this movie!

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/dor/objects/76441/alpha_and_omega/videos/aao_trlr_060210.html

...why are so many people obsessed with the whole "We have to be complete opposites before falling in love?" And these music cues are so bad. >_<
  • edited June 2010
    We've decided to participate in an AOAC collaborative validation study for a new Salmonella test protocol. We've been reviewing the study design today, and have thus far found 40 individual internal inconsistencies between the proposed method, test kit instructions, flowcharts, and the reference method. Each inconsistency is severe enough to radically alter the workflow of the entire study. We could add more questions, but at this point, it's just not worth it.
    Post edited by TheWhaleShark on
    Guess I'm the exception, I walk away from near death driving experiences and say, "can we go again?" But my self assessment at work gives me a panic attack. :P
    I just meant massive adrenaline spikes in general - but yeah, plenty of times I've walked away saying "HOLY SHIT THAT WAS COOL, DID YOU SEE THAT! I WAS TWO INCHES FROM THE RAIL, AND I BROUGHT IT RIGHT BACK OUT! WHOOOOO!" and then once I'm home with a beer, I'm going "Holy shit, I was two inches from the rail, and there's a 90 foot drop right off the edge of that, Jesus Christ I could have died or wrecked my car."
  • edited June 2010
    Jesus Christ I could have died or, worse, wrecked my car
    How I read that.

Arizona School Demands Black & Latino Students’ Faces On Mural Be Changed To White
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • Invisible shard of glass in the sink. Dammit, just when the slash in my palm had healed shut.
  • then once I'm home with a beer, I'm going "Holy shit, I was two inches from the rail, and there's a 90 foot drop right off the edge of that, Jesus Christ I could have died or wrecked my car."
    Yeah, I don't really get this second bit, ever.
    Arizona School Demands Black & Latino Students’ Faces On Mural Be Changed To White
    Arizona has to be punking us now, they have to be...