This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Fail of Your Day

Comments

• If you go 1 forward, 2 back, 3 forward, 4 back, etc. there's no chance you'll miss it. The only problem is that this requires unbounded memory to do.
  • I think the problem becomes impossible to solve (for a guaranteed crash) if they may or may not be facing in the same direction.
    Only if you're (a) assumed not to have infinite memory and (b) the distance between them could be larger than any unsigned integer you could store (well, technically, you'd need to be storing 4 unsigned ints of up to the distance apart)
  • Yeah, no such technical information about the CPU is provided. Only that the railroad is linear and infinitely long.
  • edited October 2012
    I think we should assume that we're working on a true Turing machine then (that is, one with an infinite tape).
    Post edited by Linkigi(Link-ee-jee) on
  • A related problem: the track is circular instead of infinite; their initial positions are guaranteed not to be directly opposite one another.
    The circular track has undefined length.

This one can be solved without unbounded memory, although unbounded memory allows for a much more efficient solution.
  • Plane isn't here. I fucking hate public transit.
  • Lots of gunfire going on nearby. I noticed the helicopter earlier and assumed news was happening, but I didn't know what until I heard the gunshots.
  • My fail is that I had to skip out on Sonic's birthday party tonight because of a previous commitment I had that ended up getting cancelled. Dammit.
  • My fail is that I had to skip out on Sonic's birthday party tonight because of a previous commitment I had that ended up getting cancelled. Dammit.
    I know that feel. Similar thing happened to me on a microcosm today.
  • Just fell from a B to a D in Economics, the easiest class ever. I'll try to argue some more points, but that can only go so far. Fuck. There goes my potential 4.0 for first quarter.
  • Really? Most Boston Public Schools take them on school days.
    Mine were also taken early on Saturday, though this was like 20 years ago (gaa... I feel old).
  • I had to drive out twenty miles to a junior college to take my ACTs. Never took an SAT.
  • My SAT score was lower than my PSAT score...
  • edited October 2012
    Really? Most Boston Public Schools take them on school days.
    Mine were also taken early on Saturday, though this was like 20 years ago (gaa... I feel old).
    I repeat, this is for the PSATs. The SATs are taken by just about everyone early on a Saturday.

Fail of my day: I'm home sick for the second school day (if you don't count me going to school for the PSATs on Saturday) in a row.
    Post edited by Greg on
  • My PSATs were also taken on a Saturday way back when.
  • My PSATs were also taken on a Saturday way back when.
    I took my PSAT as an optional thing in middle school (seventh grade) during the school day. I did very well.

I didn't really realize what the test was at the time. Later in high school, we had to take a test one day during the school day instead of going to class. I blew threw it and then left before the time was up to go sleep in the band room.

I later learned that this second test was the "real" PSAT... and that I'd gotten a perfect score. ^_^
  • My SAT was only 1260 on the old scale but I routinely got perfect scores on standardized. tests. Or nearly perfect. There's not that much precision in the scoring.

My advisor at the local nursing school asked me what i was doing there after my placement test.
  • Someday they'll release an Android keyboard that doesn't butcher AJAX supporting textareas.
  • I scored a 1380 with a 770 in math.
  • If you guys turn this thread into everyone saying "I got X on the SAT" I will personally come to each of your homes and punch you right in your stupid faces.
  • ACT 34, whatchu know bout me?
  • Mine were roughly equal. 600 verbal 660 math but I was depressed and exhausted. :-)
  • My penis is a full inch larger in circumferance than the average range given on wikipedia.
  • I only got a 32 on my ACT. But, I only took it once, and didn't bother with any followup (since I was already a National Meric Scholar Finalist). ;^)
  • edited October 2012
    ACT 34, whatchu know bout me?
    High five for 34!
    Post edited by Ikatono on
  • I do not recall any of those test scores and they are no longer relevant to my life.
  • I am so smart, S-M-R-T

:-P

You know what I don't miss about high school/college? Constantly trying to make the best scores and compare them with each other and making excuses for yourself when you don't do as well...

Yeah I like this adult working thing a little better ^_^ (Just a little, I really miss summer vacay ._.)
  • My school participated in an academic physics contest of sorts and got last place. They gave trophies for every place, in order, from first to last. Yep, 14th place trophy.

I enjoyed the hell out of the event, recognized it for what it was and why things went down the way they did. A girl from my class cried most of the bus-ride home.

So yeah, there's that.
  • edited October 2012
    My academic performance outshines my adult career in terms of bragging rights. :-P
    Post edited by muppet on
  • Merit Scholar Finalist, high enough on SATs to get the best RIT merit scholarships offered.

We're posting network speeds next, right?