This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Fail of Your Day

Comments

• God has nothing to do with school shootings.
  • edited December 2012
    Only because he doesn't exist. If he did, he would be at fault for them, and in fact would have intended them to happen.
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • Only because he doesn't exist. If he did, he would be at fault for them.
    But the fallacy becomes that if he IS omnipotent then he'd be at fault for EVERYTHING.
  • Yes, he would. How is that a fallacy?
  • Because it'd be a legal defense to say "Oh its not MY fault, it's GOD'S fault."
  • edited December 2012
    If not for:
    1) Separation of church and state.
    2) God not being real.
    3) God being at fault for it not precluding it also being your fault.
  • Either way, no God is still not at fault for school shootings. This belief that going to see a psychiatrist makes you weak is at fault.
  • edited December 2012
    Are you really going to stick with the claim that it's just that one issue that lies behind school shootings?
  • Are you really going to stick with the claim that it's just that one issue that lies behind school shootings?
    No there's several issues. But mental health care is probably the big one since the guy was, you know, insane. Next biggest would be the access of insane people to guns.
  • Choo choo! Railroading in Black 2!
  • So in the late 90s and early 2000s there was a sketch comedy show on german television called Bullyparade, which Ioved at the time. Main guy behind the show is a dude named Michael "Bully" Herbig who went on to have a pretty good career in german television and film. So he now created a website called Bullybase.de where most of his exploits are document. It also hosts a ton of clips from sketches from Bullyparade, which I would really like to watch, except that the fact that after almost every clip, which can be anywhere from 20 seconds to 2 minutes, the same goddamn commercial for the same stupid movie is played.
  • edited December 2012
    Are you really going to stick with the claim that it's just that one issue that lies behind school shootings?
    No there's several issues. But mental health care is probably the big one since the guy was, you know, insane. Next biggest would be the access of insane people to guns.
    How do I know he was insane? Also, even if he was, one person is a terrible sample size on which to make a generalization.

Mental illness is neither a necessary nor even a sufficient criterion for violence or homicide. I'll grant that spree killings may be different in this regard, but ultimately spree killings are a relatively small fraction of homicides overall.

Here's a couple of papers to back up my point with regards to the (weakness of the) link between violence or homicide and mental illness:
    http://psychrights.org/research/Digest/Pending/mythandreality.pdf
    http://depts.washington.edu/mhreport/facts_violence.php
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1525086/

Unfortunately, there is no "homicide disorder" or "spree killing disorder" that we could simply cure with better mental health services. To focus singularly on mental health while ignoring the various underlying social and cultural issues is a strategy that is doomed to failure.
  • So choose, gun people. You get all the guns you want if we can have universal, state-funded health care, including mental health care.
  • So choose, gun people. You get all the guns you want if we can have universal, state-funded health care, including mental health care.
    I'm cool with that.
    I'm cool with that.
    Seconded.
  • First we need to fix our mental health institutes so that they actually get shit done. This isn't just a matter of paying for it. People in trouble can't get help from the existing infrastructure unless they want it, and due to the nature of psychiatric illness that's not something you can assume.
    So, yeah, that's exactly what I want in this country. Good thinking, dude.

• If you're on Tumblr, you've probably seen this one by now, but I haven't seen it posted here yet.

• Friend can't seem to be located by all available means and we had a Risk Legacy game thing scheduled. I am disappoint. Further, he's the guy tied for the lead with me so I don't want to just say, "We play without him", but still might.
  • And then there are the people who say "it doesn't count because I just sucked his dick."
  • Fail of the day. Maybe week. I try to run M W F. For the past several iterations of those days I have not been able to run due to rain or cold. I need some warmer running clothes. Right now I only have running shorts and t-shirts.

Booooooo.

Oh yeah also I am having a hard time with one-handed pushups. The balance thing is rough.

• Oh yeah also I am having a hard time with one-handed pushups. The balance thing is rough.
    If its any consolation I tried to do a normal set of push ups for the first time in half a year. Was a sweating broken mess after ten.
  • It gets better quickly. Just keep doing them. I'm up to 50 in one go now, 100 overall. Hence the change to one-handed.
  • Fail of the day. Maybe week. I try to run M W F. For the past several iterations of those days I have not been able to run due to rain or cold. I need some warmer running clothes. Right now I only have running shorts and t-shirts.

Booooooo.
    Under Armour is the best solution when the weather is below 45 F

• I'm listening to friends of mine (college 1st years) are talking about 4chan. It is so terrible. This burns.
  • AmpAmp
    edited December 2012
    It gets better quickly. Just keep doing them. I'm up to 50 in one go now, 100 overall. Hence the change to one-handed.
    It was just getting back in the swing. It made me realize how badly I had ruined my shoulder which sucks. Hoping to get up to 50 sets again. It does not help that the other half is getting ready for a triathlon at the moment.
    HSBC gets a slap on the wrist.
    They have just gone back to their roots in the current economy.

Post edited by Amp on
  • Have they got a history of money laundering (before these 10 or so years)?