This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Fail of Your Day

Comments

• A user in another forum while discussing Fox News:
    Yell all you want. I'm not wrong. I *agree* that impartial and biased are antonyms. I also assert that that fact does not make them *mutually exclusive*.
    Yell all you want. I'm not wrong. I *agree* that impartial and biased are antonyms. I also assert that that fact does not make them *mutually exclusive*.
    Fuck me this is what the abyss staring back feels like doesn't it?

Fuck me this is what the abyss staring back feels like doesn't it?

Yes.
  • Fuck I feel really crazy stressed out for no reason today and I feel like I've forgotten how to relax.
  • Welcome to anxiety, go for a jog it'll help.
  • Can I be done with my hormonal neurosis now? There are some really nice, smart, and cool people that go to my school. I'd like to be able to talk to them without freezing up.
  • edited December 2012
    Wrong thread.
    Post edited by Ikatono on
  • I just made the shittiest breakfast that I had to throw away. Tried cooking with some things that I never cooked before, it just tasted awful.

Why didn't anyone tell me that daikon radishes have a lingering smell of a nasty, stale fart?
  • Yesterday I actually met a full on "the 47% should lose all benefits, and if they can't cope, it's fine that they die off" kind of conservative. He seemed like such a nice guy for the rest of dinner over conversation, but then I started working out that he was, literally, more concerned about not spending any money on anyone that he was happy to see entire countries fall, happy with the rise of fascism or neo-nazi-style parties, and millions of people to die, just so his taxes didn't go up.

Also, complete lack of any kind of maths or statistics skills. It's weird to have such strong opinions and yet not even understand the basic problem.
  • Why were you having daikons for breakfast?
  • Also, aren't daikons supposed to be eaten raw, grated, or pickled?
  • Also, aren't daikons supposed to be eaten raw, grated, or pickled?
    Grated them in a salad with carrots, added vinegar. It was kind of combo of both, but it must have been one old ass vegetable to stick up my kitchen for TWELVE HOURS.

I peeled them too, not sure if that plays a role but *JESUS*
  • ^I like how this was posted at such a time that the FRCF pony thread was 2nd top of the page.
  • ^I like how this was posted at such a time that the FRCF pony thread was 2nd top of the page.
    Not a coincidence. Actual IM conversation w/ ProfPangloss
    10:02pm
    Me: accidentally opened the pony thread
    "So do you think Luna actually enters ponies dreams to help with nightmares or was that all just a figment of Scootaloo's imagination?"
    not gonna make that mistake again

10:03pm
    ProfPangloss: :/

10:04pm
    Me: is there a pony.txt twitter or tumblr or something
    ProfPangloss: What, like "shit bronies say"
    Me: https://twitter.com/mlp_txt
  • edited December 2012
    Trog showed me that Twitter around 20 minutes ago and I have only just now stopped dry heaving.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • Bitches be making statements and not giving evidence to support them. It is trifling me.
  • http://charlotte.cbslocal.com/2012/12/05/church-calls-off-charlie-brown-christmas-show-amid-controversy/

I facepalmed in frustration and upset so hard at this,
    I wouldn't have a problem with events like that if the motivations weren't almost always to normalize christianity or present it as a reasonable belief system through a public, secular school.

Plus, call it a win. The event is now a public event, rather than a dodgey one through a public school. ;^)
  • Good job U-Verse.
  • Bitches be making statements and not giving evidence to support them. It is trifling me.
    This is my biggest irritation right now. I've started challenging people on their statements, even when I agree with them, to try to get them to give evidence.
  • http://charlotte.cbslocal.com/2012/12/05/church-calls-off-charlie-brown-christmas-show-amid-controversy/

I facepalmed in frustration and upset so hard at this,
    I wouldn't have a problem with events like that if the motivations weren't almost always to normalize christianity or present it as a reasonable belief system through a public, secular school.

Plus, call it a win. The event is now a public event, rather than a dodgey one through a public school. ;^)
    I grew up making wreaths and Christmas trees in school and I'm pretty damned secular. I think it's a real shame that the same school system I enjoyed as a kid is now so paranoid that kids can get detention or suspension for drawing a Christmas tree on a chalkboard or, God (heh) forbid, making something vaguely holiday themed in an art class.
  • Re: Charlie Brown thing-

Having grown up watching Charlie Brown Christmas, it makes me sad that a potentially fun trip for the kids got cancelled (though changing it to a public event is better, like Rym said). However, I do see a huge problem with taking kids on a school field-trip to a church. Christians aren't fully understanding yet that not everyone else is like them, and more and more people in America are non-Christian as time goes on (whether its atheism or other religions). Maybe if it had originally been in a public, more neutral place it wouldn't have been violating the separation of church and state principle as much. Or if they'd had 2 field-trip options available (one not so focused on the religious aspects of Christmas). I also understand the mom (of non-Christian faith, didn't say whether she was atheist or another religion) not wanting her kid to be subjected to something with Bible verses and other heavy handed Christian stuff in it. Though I personally wouldn't be so concerned because I'd trust my kids to think for themselves and not be "harmed" by it. Just like I think its stupid that some parents withhold their kids from enjoying Halloween activities because its "of the devil." *shrug*

Overall I think its sad to attack all things Christmas. Its a holiday anyone can enjoy. Even if you hate religion, how can you hate presents and parties and awesome food? :-P Anyway, taking it out of schools is lame. Growing up I remember doing all kinds of fun stuff in school (for any holiday), and it made school not suck so much. (Then again I was super Christian, so I'm not sure how a non-Christian kid would feel these days, something to think about). However, all that being said, I do think focusing on the religious aspects of the holiday is a problem. Its just another way of teaching religion in schools, and that bothers me.
  • However, all that being said, I do think focusing on the religious aspects of the holiday is a problem. Its just another way of teaching religion in schools, and that bothers me.
    That's my biggest gripe. In almost every case, christian religious content is introduced into public education with the sole goal of normalizing and evangelizing it: not for any purpose of secular cultural education. Case in point: look at the outrage whenever similar stated rationale are used to push for truly multi-cultural comparative religious education in these places.

Unless the school is fully prepared to present ALL religions in equal light and with equal time relative to their historical and contemporary significance as social/political forces, then there is no place for ANY religious content in public education.

• edited December 2012
    Christmas is a funny thing, even for non-believers. For one thing, it's expanded from being only a celebration of a religious event (the birth of the Messiah) to a general "goodwill towards man, spend time with friends and family, exchange gifts, and eat good food" holiday, which anyone can appreciate at face value no matter the religion (or lack thereof). The other thing is that it celebrates the birth of a character, who whether he was purely real, purely myth, or mythified amalgamation of one or more real philosophers/religious leaders/etc. from 2000 or so years ago also espoused various teachings (love your neighbor and so on) that anyone, no matter the religious background, can also respect if you cut out the religious aspects, a la the Jefferson Bible.
    That's my biggest gripe. In almost every case, christian religious content is introduced into public education with the sole goal of normalizing and evangelizing it: not for any purpose of secular cultural education. Case in point: look at the outrage whenever similar stated rationale are used to push for truly multi-cultural comparative religious education in these places.

Unless the school is fully prepared to present ALL religions in equal light and with equal time relative to their historical and contemporary significance as social/political forces, then there is no place for ANY religious content in public education.
    This, although I think there is a big of wiggle-room for things such as the Charlie Brown Christmas play, which so long as it's not done to evangelize, is perfectly fine as it has a minor bit of religious content in it that is not the main point of the production. Given that this particular production was done by a church, however, I can definitely see what the sticky issue would be here. If this production instead was done by an organization that was not religiously affiliated, I think it wouldn't have been as much of an issue.

While I don't think Rym is claiming you need to remove anything with any religious content from public schools unless it's part of properly structured comparative religion education, banning anything with incidental religious content from public education may not be a good idea. Given the huge influence Christianity has had on Western civilization for the past 2000 years or so, banning anything with any incidental religious content could result in banning quite a few legitimate literary works, including much of Shakespeare, the Canterbury Tales, and so on (all of which were covered in my public school English classes). Even the King James Bible, despite being overtly religious, has merit if taught from a purely literary standpoint and we had covered an excerpt from it, again, purely for literary analysis, in my public school English class.
    Post edited by Dragonmaster Lou on
  • Agreed, except that the places where this is an issue are never the places where any real attempt at literary analysis takes place.
  • Agreed, except that the places where this is an issue are never the places where any real attempt at literary analysis takes place.
    Yep. I thought this is how you felt -- I just wanted to make it a bit more explicit for some wacky reason. :)
  • GeoGeo
    edited December 2012
    Was promised by FedEx that my shipment of Adobe CS6 (which I recently purchased) would come today (it came into my state at four in the morning). However, I checked on its tracking status and discovered that the scheduled delivery has been arbitrarily changed to tomorrow because "no attempt for delivery was made". Not only that, but I cannot go to the depot to pick it up either. I am more than a little annoyed about this
    Post edited by Geo on
  • Why not just get Creative Cloud? It's so much cheaper, especially if you're a student.