This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Fail of Your Day

Comments

• On top of that, according to my mom I'm responsible for the lack of progress in the treatment of MS, Alzheimer's, Crohn's, and cancer.

……
    What?

• Sounds like trolling?
    Nope, she was serious. She offered that up when I asked for for an alternative to making sure all the people who are mentally ill with a possibility to commit violent acts get the mental health care they need. She was like, "I'm not going to hand over all my paycheck to make sure those psychos who are willing to kill children get medical care. Just shoot them."
  • "We have removed this email address from this mailing list.
    This change will take effect within 10 days. "

It takes 10 DAYS to remove me from a mailing list? WTF? How?!?!
  • "We have removed this email address from this mailing list.
    This change will take effect within 10 days. "

It takes 10 DAYS to remove me from a mailing list? WTF? How?!?!
    Legally, they can take up to 30 days to process it. They usually add messages like this because it's not always instant and they're just covering their ass.
  • Sounds like trolling?
    Nope, she was serious. She offered that up when I asked for for an alternative to making sure all the people who are mentally ill with a possibility to commit violent acts get the mental health care they need. She was like, "I'm not going to hand over all my paycheck to make sure those psychos who are willing to kill children get medical care. Just shoot them."
    Lol wtf. That's almost as crazy as the guy who insisted we eradicate all the homeless from downtown Seattle.
  • Lol wtf. That's almost as crazy as the guy who insisted we eradicate all the homeless from downtown Seattle.
    sigh. Yeah...
  • Can anyone explain tumblr to me?
    Its Wordpress for stupid people.

It's facebook for pretentious asses.
  • edited January 2013
    I don't think it's for stupid people. It's just another way to blog, mainly for the young folks. Most people use it to share images, art, and links. It's like Wordpress/Twitter/FB combined.

A lot of webcomic artists use it.

I have one, but it's just another social network that I don't feel like keeping up with.
    Post edited by Rochelle on
    It's twitter for people who can't express themselves with 140 characters.

• I don't think it's for stupid people. It's just another way to blog, mainly for the young folks.
    The "stupid people" refers to those who want to blog but do not want to take the time to go and learn word press.
  • I don't think it's for stupid people. It's just another way to blog, mainly for the young folks.
    The "stupid people" refers to those who want to blog but do not want to take the time to go and learn word press.
    The word you're looking for is "non-committal."

Also, I disagree. Tumblr takes all of the things on their site that you're interested in and puts them into one stream. That's the advantage it has over wordpress. It also seems to be the breeding ground of the true counter-culture, but I haven't had the patience lately to wade through it to find the good parts.
    The "stupid people" refers to those who want to blog but do not want to take the time to go and learn wordpress
    ...It also seems to be the breeding ground of the true counter-culture...
    That reads like bullshit.
    It's a super cool blogging website where all the super cool kids go. I highly recommend it.
  • Being charged $30 for a check I didn't write. Gonna dispute it as soon as I can.
    The "stupid people" refers to those who want to blog but do not want to take the time to go and learn wordpress
    ...It also seems to be the breeding ground of the true counter-culture...
    That reads like bullshit.
    Key word: seems. I can't confirm it.
    Hullo! Front-end Web Dev (who's been working primarily on Wordpress sites lately) that uses Tumblr for his personal blog here! Wordpress is great and extendable, but Tumblr is really good at being a simple blog. Also, code updates, social media whatsits, and such don't have to be dealt with. And you can have it on a custom domain. Oh, also templating is super easy.
  • I don't personally use Tumblr, but I'm trying to "start one" for my costume shenanigans. The only reason I want to do it is bc other people do it, too, and I want more exposure. Same reason I made a cosplay.com account, will maybe find other similar ones, will probably get a flickr account going, might even make another Facebook account since all the good cosplayers have been doing that. I hate social media, so I'll probably fail at keeping them updated.

Even though I have no ties to it yet, I do not like the thinking that people using Tumblr (or any other simplified site) are "stupid." Not because I will be one of them and I'm not stupid, but because its ridiculous to think that everyone needs to have the same skill levels of a web dev. This is like expecting everyone to know how to assemble a car, or know how to play an instrument at a professional level. Its dumb because not everyone can know everything. People pick certain things in life that they want to be skilled in, and not everyone has picked "WordPress developer extraordinaire" for themselves.

/rant. Sorry. x_x
  • I don't have any problem with people using tumblr. It's simple (I assume) and it has some interesting cool ideas build into it. Sadly it also has some big flaws in it that annoy me every time I have to encounter them.
  • I don't really think of Tumblr as a "blogging" platform. It's more just Twitter for pictures, videos, sound clips, etc.
    Hullo! Front-end Web Dev (who's been working primarily on Wordpress sites lately) that uses Tumblr for his personal blog here! Wordpress is great and extendable, but Tumblr is really good at being a simple blog. Also, code updates, social media whatsits, and such don't have to be dealt with. And you can have it on a custom domain. Oh, also templating is super easy.
    Here's the stagnating blog I keep on Tumblr. Rarely updated, but I am certainly not stupid. I just don't want to have to learn a platform like WordPress in order to disseminate my ideas. Also, Tumblr is pretty.
  • Guys, WordPress is dead easy, especially if you use WordPress.com rather than hosting it yourself. There's no "learning" involved. You write words in the box and press "post" when you're done.
  • Also, much more professional-looking.
  • edited January 2013
    The customer didn't record the web presentation we made this afternoon, wasting a total of 4 and half hours of my life today and making waste another 2 on Tuesday. I am all the mads right now.

And I'm hungry cause I'm stuck at work because of traffic and I didn't have enough lunch to hold me over cause I wasn't planning on staying late enough to get stuck in traffic!
    Post edited by George Patches on
  • Scraped my finger bloody while doing dishes. I guess Scott was right; I should get a dishwasher. ^_~
  • Glee did a shitty cover of Jonathan Coulton's shitty cover of Baby Got Back and now there's an internet fight.

http://www.theverge.com/2013/1/18/3891836/glee-uses-jonathan-coultons-cover-of-baby-got-back-without-permission
  • edited January 2013
    I've never watched Glee but that song uses a lot of autotune and I don't like it.
    Post edited by MATATAT on
  • Glee did a shitty cover of Jonathan Coulton's shitty cover of Baby Got Back and now there's an internet fight.

http://www.theverge.com/2013/1/18/3891836/glee-uses-jonathan-coultons-cover-of-baby-got-back-without-permission
    I'm not sure there's a fight anywhere, just people noticing and saying "Well, that's that, I guess."
  • edited January 2013
    My car is omega fucked, something in the range of 3000 bucks to fix. Looks like its tine to find a new one which sucks since I havent even owned the thing for a full year yet.
    Post edited by Jordan O. on