This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Fail of Your Day

Comments

• I just had some idiot try to argue that only the first appearance of a character being drawn/painted counts as an original piece of artwork! We were discussing a sketch of Raistlin by Larry Elmore and my claim was because it is a pencil sketch it counts as an original work of art (not a copy or a print). The other guy had this weird view that only the first ever piece of art depicting the character counts as original and all subsequent art is a copy.
  • My fail of the day is all the forumites not at PAX.
  • Dromaro said:

My fail of the day is all the forumites not at PAX.

Boo you

• Dromaro said:

MAGFest is probably the biggest reason more aren't there.
  • Greg said:

Dromaro said:

• Greg said:

Dromaro said:

• Or maybe they just want to avoid ReedPOP.
  • Or maybe we don't have the money to travel.
  • edited January 2015
    Greg said:

Dromaro said:

Post edited by Coldguy on
  • Teaching lessons is very fun but dear god is writing lesson plans explosively dull. Especially when they have to be far more detailed then they normally need to be due to being graded. What would be a quick five minuet job is now an hour and a half slog as I write out how I would deal with every eventuality as opposed to just dealing with it on the fly.

Also practicing my hand writing has left me with wankers cramp.
  • Lesson flow chart?
  • Or maybe we don't have the money to travel.

• HMTKSteve said:

Lesson flow chart?

I wish it was as easy as that. I have to show how I would plan my lesson in detail, various students learning styles and how I would deal with them, and to cap it off how I would make it all fun. Being a teacher is not fun it seems :(.
  • I do 25 lesson plans a week.
  • Comcast tech support call lasts 50 hours.

And that's not the worst of it. When they arrived, they came with the wrong equipment.
  • Figured out why I couldn't use my bank card over the weekend, two unauthorized charges to Zoosk.
  • I do 25 lesson plans a week.

How the hell do you deal with that? or can you get by with out crazy level of detail.
  • edited January 2015
    Amp said:

I do 25 lesson plans a week.

How the hell do you deal with that? or can you get by with out crazy level of detail.
    They're about two pages long, and the excruciating detail I had to use in college isn't necessary. Once you actually have a teaching job, you don't need to write every word you are going to say and every answer the students will give like the common core sites insist.
    Also, because of my school, I have an A/B schedule and literally teach the same thing to each class. I teach art, and I allow students to pick a project they want to work on. The only thing that changes from day to day is the warm up activity, which is the specific thing I teach each day before students start on their individual projects.
    I've made it so I make a few changes to two lesson plans, then they carry to all the rest.
    The ludicrous, crazy long lessons you do as a student are excellent to get you to a high level of ability, and then you can pear back to the essentials when you get a job. No principal wants to read 15 page lessons from 20 teachers.

Post edited by GreatTeacherMacRoss on
  • I was punished severely for my hubris about the snow storm last night. Our drive home from the metro at 11:30 was tense.
  • There where a couple of rough moments I had to set my clocks to Tokyo time myself on the highway getting home.
  • I drove much more cautiously - only averaged 62 mph on the way home. Including one stop.
  • Allergies.

So sleepy.
  • The Veterinarian my Dad chose to have my cat's hyperthyroidism managed is an idiot.

She refuses to try 2 other common medications; even though after 2 months of varying doses has resulted in poor results. The one she's pushing also has side effects associated with its bitterness (some cats tend to vomit or not eat their meals if given bitter meds), the alternative meds are tasteless.

The Veterinary profession is so stupid here, keep a bunch of inexperienced Vet with one experienced Vet for a few years then fire all the ones who ask for an appropriate salary (or start using drugs that the experienced Vet doesn't stock) and hire even more inexperienced Vets.

I might as well take over the case and refer Mum's cat for haematology as I need it, seems stupid but its the only way to properly solve the problem.
  • Getting back into badges a bit beyond just my own designs reminds me just how much other people armed with fucking Corel Draw fucks my goddamn day up. It's like weaponized, time-wasting irritation.
  • Fucking taxes!!! Why is e-filing MORE expensive than paying someone to do it in person??
  • My building exploded today.

Well, OK, some pipes burst.

The flooding is so severe that water is actually leaking out of the building, through external wall joints.

So that's a thing.
  • My building exploded today.

Well, OK, some pipes burst.

The flooding is so severe that water is actually leaking out of the building, through external wall joints.

So that's a thing.

Look at the bright side. Impromptu water park.
  • Ilmarinen said:

Fucking taxes!!! Why is e-filing MORE expensive than paying someone to do it in person??

It's not. You're just doing it in the wrong place?

Or you make a ludicrous amount of money, I guess.

• Nuri said:

Ilmarinen said:

Fucking taxes!!! Why is e-filing MORE expensive than paying someone to do it in person??

It's not. You're just doing it in the wrong place?

Or you make a ludicrous amount of money, I guess.

I read that efiling was supposed to be free and direct from the IRS, but tax preparation lobbyists prevented that from happening.

Free efile is only available if you make less than $60k.