This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Fail of Your Day

Comments

• edited January 2015
    Greg said:

I read a conspiracy theory that believed that Big Pharma is responsible for the anti-vaxx movement because it means more people developing illnesses, with treatments that are much more profitable than vaccinations. I don't believe it, but I really enjoy it.

Here's a bonus for you - Big Pharma was courting someone around the time of the whole Andrew Wakefield case. And it was Andrew Wakefield, they wanted to buy rights to his MMR alternative vaccine, as well as the test kits for a disorder he wholely invented any also made up the research for, and we're still pretty sure doesn't exist.

And since we're on a roll, here's literally the next thing she shared.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • edited January 2015
    Churba said:
    This is primary school level writing and incorrect on so many points.

Post edited by sK0pe on
  • This quote from a user on Giant Bomb regarding genre's that you are burnt out on. Possibly the most ridiculous thing I've read in the past week or even month.
    Competitive multiplayer shooter. I'm just no good unless it's an N64 controller.
  • That's perfectly reasonable. It's easy to be the best on a platform that greatly limits the player base access.
  • Churba said:

HMTKSteve said:

Don't we still require vaccinations for international travel?

Depends where you're going to and where from, but sometimes, yes.
    In my limited experience, no one cares where you go, but your destination might require you to show proof you're vaccinated before they let you in.
  • One of my classmates post from our conversation on theory and how it is misused in my psychology class: “I have witnessed the term theory be misused due to the fact that a theory can be tested and one theory that we hear allot about is" The Big
    Bang Theory" which I really do not see how we can replicate due to the fact that we would have to take a planet and explode it naturally which is impossible unless it happened before our own eyes. So really this is a scientific opinion rather than a theory.”

• ThatGent said:

That's perfectly reasonable. It's easy to be the best on a platform that greatly limits the player base access.

The user described is limiting himself to a peripheral which makes it impossible to compete against anyone in the genre described as "competitive multiplayer shooter".
  • When playing Goldeneye, I'd use two N64 controllers, one in each hand. Analogue thumb stick for movement, analogue thumb stick for aiming. It hindered me when switching to a single controller for multiplayer though.
  • I'm sorry, you two fisted Golden Eye?
  • That was...possible?
  • That was...possible?

Yup I tired to get good at it myself with the 2.2 controls but gave when when multiplayer spawned into 4 player fights.
  • That was...possible?

Yeah, it was like using a real controller. It was the only way I could complete every level on all three difficulty settings. I've no idea how people could do it with non-digital running and strafing.

That reminds me, I watched the Awesome Games Done Quick GoldenEye race. It was pretty awesome. I did some speed runs of some of the levels back in the day, and it was fun to see some of my self-discovered strategies weren't entirely out of line.

• Australian Bureau of Statistics offers me a job (3 months after application for a holiday job) 1 week into the start of University.

This is a trend, it seems to take the Government 3 months to reply to any job application half the time you have to write a fucking essay that is going to be read by someone who hasn't even passed year 11 English.

I had a 3 month delay on one of the Veterinary job applications too, by that stage I had already moved on. The application was about 10 pages long and all they likely did was check if I had written all the titles.
  • Taking CCNA bootcamp has caused me to desire Cisco hardware for home. :(
  • Taking CCNA bootcamp has caused me to desire Cisco hardware for home. :(

You want all my CCNA/Cisco books? I have the whole library from not that long ago.
  • Rym said:

Taking CCNA bootcamp has caused me to desire Cisco hardware for home. :(

You want all my CCNA/Cisco books? I have the whole library from not that long ago.
    If I see you again before I take this test, sure.
  • The ATF now just stated that it is illegal to shoulder a pistol with a Sig arm brace. They consider you holding it differently to be "Redesigning" the firearm into an illegal unregistered short barreled rifle. I don't care what your views on guns are. The fact that someone can go to prison for 10 years for "holding it wrong" is fucked up.
  • People in my CS class don't know how to google. I wish them the best of luck. I will also continue to answer their questions on our board with let me google that for you.
  • People in my CS class don't know how to google. I wish them the best of luck. I will also continue to answer their questions on our board with let me google that for you.

Just refuse to help them, for me I ended up taking the entirety of a lab or the period a project would take me explaining basic concepts, how to use libraries and lookup terms rather than doing the tasks. For sure if you are working together in a group project or something but otherwise make sure you have completely finished your stuff off and have nothing else to do before assisting them.

These guys are literally the ones you will have to be rewriting bad code for when you get into your first job (if it is a generic workplace).
  • People in my CS class don't know how to google.

Oh, wow... How old are these classmates? Have they ever touched a computer before?

Heh. I remember the first time I took a computer class when I entered community college. What were our lessons? Learning MSPaint and saving BMPs to floppy disks. (I guess those were still a thing in late 2003... Somehow...)
  • sK0pe said:

People in my CS class don't know how to google. I wish them the best of luck. I will also continue to answer their questions on our board with let me google that for you.

Just refuse to help them, for me I ended up taking the entirety of a lab or the period a project would take me explaining basic concepts, how to use libraries and lookup terms rather than doing the tasks. For sure if you are working together in a group project or something but otherwise make sure you have completely finished your stuff off and have nothing else to do before assisting them.

These guys are literally the ones you will have to be rewriting bad code for when you get into your first job (if it is a generic workplace).
    Oh goody now I have that to look forward to. This was acceptable last semester when I was stuck in babies first java class and it was expected you had never programmed, but this is a class that has a prerequisite of previous programming. How did you program before?!? Someone literally asked in the board yesterday how to get the absolute value of a number. Basic math is also a prerequisite.
  • Most of the kids you see will change majors after the first year or two.
  • For me it's weird there are two kids who know their programming really well, a few interested in putting work into their course and two that are lightyears ahead of me and everyone else (one of which already works as a developer). The rest I literally I'm dumbstruck as to how they passed high school or consciously thought that they could do CS.
    MATATAT said:

Most of the kids you see will change majors after the first year or two.

So far I've seen one student change her major in the first 3 weeks of first semester, and one guy who was on the brink of it after failing the midsemester (in Python) and not understanding how to do the first two projects (Java and Python) which were literally one prewritten skeleton of a Class (Java) and for Python it was a program that parsed and counted votes from a text file and presented the results in text.
  • GEICO says that the fact that my coolant system is leaking like a sieve from a small fracture in a fitting on the rear of the engine block ever since I struck sheet metal fragments flying out of a contractor's pickup bed on the interstate yesterday morning is an amazing coincidence and not possibly the result of shrapnel ricocheting around in my engine compartment for several hundred feet of travel at highway speed before falling to the road and clattering away.

I'm having trouble buying that diagnosis. Van is getting brought by flat-bed to my dealer at some point today (when they get around to it.)

Sigh.
  • I watched a dude break down into tears at RIT during a freshman year lab practical. (No grade: failing the lab meant auto-failing the class).

His task? To make a button... that called a function... that added two numbers... in Visual Basic.

Dude was crying in the lab while the TA's tried desperately to avoid making eye contact with him.
  • Daikun said:

People in my CS class don't know how to google.

Oh, wow... How old are these classmates? Have they ever touched a computer before?

Heh. I remember the first time I took a computer class when I entered community college. What were our lessons? Learning MSPaint and saving BMPs to floppy disks. (I guess those were still a thing in late 2003... Somehow...)
    These people are my age (~19) so they grew up in the current era of let's just fucking google everything, yet somehow did not pick up this skill.
  • Rym said:

I watched a dude break down into tears at RIT during a freshman year lab practical. (No grade: failing the lab meant auto-failing the class).

His task? To make a button... that called a function... that added two numbers... in Visual Basic.

Dude was crying in the lab while the TA's tried desperately to avoid making eye contact with him.

What the fuck, dude. You're in RIT. I could have passed that prac, and I'm a fucking idiot.
  • Churba said:

Rym said:

I watched a dude break down into tears at RIT during a freshman year lab practical. (No grade: failing the lab meant auto-failing the class).

What the fuck, dude. You're in RIT. I could have passed that prac, and I'm a fucking idiot.
    That's why, when we were there, the attrition rate of freshman in IT/CS was something like 50%. Half of my entering class didn't make it to graduation.

People failed out in spectacular fashion. By my final year, hardly anyone remained to take the classes I was in.

• With a failure rate that high how did they ever manage to get accepted into the school?