This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Fail of Your Day

Comments

• Matlab is literally the worst. I had to use it to program an Arduino last semester. It was awful.
  • You are crazy. Crazy because you used MATLAB to program an Arduino. MATLAB is actually pretty awesome software.
  • Matlab is literally the worst. I had to use it to program an Arduino last semester. It was awful.

• edited April 2015
    Andrew said:

You are crazy. Crazy because you used MATLAB to program an Arduino. MATLAB is actually pretty awesome software.

It's good at what it is supposed to do, that being math related things. I didn't choose to program the Arduino with it. I was not given a choice.

Creepy wat lady

That is possibly the creepiest gif ever...I really don't like that it's 3D....
    Post edited by SuperPichu on
  • Andrew said:

You are crazy. Crazy because you used MATLAB to program an Arduino. MATLAB is actually pretty awesome software.

It's good at what it is supposed to do, that being math related things. I didn't choose to program the Arduino with it. I was not given a choice.
    I didn't even know it was possible to do that. If you ever need someone to talk to I'm here for you man. I'm so sorry.
  • Ikatono said:

I didn't even know it was possible to do that. If you ever need someone to talk to I'm here for you man. I'm so sorry.

That reaction literally just made my day.
  • edited April 2015
    MATLAB's strong point (and it is a very strong point) is that it has good built-in math functions, particularly for operations on large matrices, which other programs don't have. This makes it very good for writing small to medium scripts for math algorithms. (Particularly with ML problems and computer vision problems, which I understand Andrew works with professionally.)

As a programming language, though, it's godawful and if I never have to write in it again it'll be too soon.

But hey, at least it's not PHP.
    Post edited by Linkigi(Link-ee-jee) on
  • Yeah, I'd have to describe MATLAB as a mathematical computation language that happens to be somewhat programmable (ignoring whether or not it's Turing complete, by "somewhat programmable" I mean, "you can program in it, but it would feel like shit"). One of my best friends uses it to do research involving high-resolution MRI imaging. Using it as a full-blown programming language is just insanity. I don't know why anyone would make you use it to program an Arduino of all things.
  • I don't know why anyone would make you use it to program an Arduino of all things.

It was for an engineering class, we had already spent the last 2 months or so learning matlab. I think the idea was to make it easy for the noobs.
  • edited April 2015
    My limited experience with it seemed just like a standardized scripting language for a calculator engine. I used it briefly in one of my more advanced calculus classes, but I think it was mostly used for the first calculus class which I took at another school that didn't use MATLAB. And we only used it for like 3 or 4 lab assignments.
    Post edited by MATATAT on
  • I don't know why anyone would make you use it to program an Arduino of all things.

It was for an engineering class, we had already spent the last 2 months or so learning matlab. I think the idea was to make it easy for the noobs.
    Geeze, what are they teaching engineering students these days? Back in my day, they taught us engineering students how to program in C, and we liked it!

MATLAB... well, yeah, there were a couple of assignments where using it was optional, but we were on our own to learn it.
  • MATLAB's strong point (and it is a very strong point) is that it has good built-in math functions, particularly for operations on large matrices, which other programs don't have. This makes it very good for writing small to medium scripts for math algorithms. (Particularly with ML problems and computer vision problems, which I understand Andrew works with professionally.)

As a programming language, though, it's godawful and if I never have to write in it again it'll be too soon.

But hey, at least it's not PHP.

Many of the functions only work on one level or are variable from function to function. e.g. "max" on a 2d numeric array, it won't return the max element, but you can either do the stupid way you have to write slicing (when compared to Python) or iterate through the elements anyway.

I don't know why anyone would make you use it to program an Arduino of all things.

Geeze, what are they teaching engineering students these days? Back in my day, they taught us engineering students how to program in C, and we liked it!

MATLAB... well, yeah, there were a couple of assignments where using it was optional, but we were on our own to learn it.
    Schools should be making C the default language, my brother didn't take it when he was doing Engineering and had to learn it when switching from Chemical to Mechatronics Engineering.

Matlab is being replaced in many Engineering firms with faster interpretive languages (such as Julia) or Python with NumPy and SciPy.
  • I like PHP...
  • edited April 2015
    muppet said:

I like PHP...

Muppet, there's this thing called "Stockholm Syndrome"...
  • There is a link for Vector Marketing, a pyramid scheme, on the board in my English class.
  • PHP is a big messy toolbox, but it has all the tools I need. That's why I like it.

I wouldn't try to launch a Mars probe with it, but for the puttering I do it's more than enough.

As an EE at RIT, I had a single mandatory programming course with about 11 weeks of C and 4 weeks of Matlab.
  • There is a link for Vector Marketing, a pyramid scheme, on the board in my English class.

Erase it?

Erase it?
    It has a giant note next to it that says don't erase. I'd rather not get in trouble with the University.

Erase it?
    It has a giant note next to it that says don't erase. I'd rather not get in trouble with the University.
    Do your classrooms have cameras? Could you not erase it simply when noone is there?
  • Do your classrooms have cameras? Could you not erase it simply when noone is there?

What go back when I don't have class? That is far too much effort.

For some reason my high school let Vector pass out a bunch of stuff to students when I was there. I imagine someone in your faculty is getting paid.
  • Ilmarinen said:

There is a link for Vector Marketing, a pyramid scheme, on the board in my English class.

For some reason my high school let Vector pass out a bunch of stuff to students when I was there. I imagine someone in your faculty is getting paid.
    Yeah most likely. There were cards on all the desks a few weeks ago.
  • It says don't erase, but it doesn't say not to write on the board that its a pyramid scheme.
  • I've definitely not had enough sleep recently. Or maybe it's the antibiotics for my pneumonia, or I don't know what.

I just went into the men's room and as usual, the motion-triggered lights went out while I was trying to take a shit. Whatever, that happens like every time. They're set for some absurd interval like 90 seconds or something, so I'm used to finishing my shit in the dark.

So, then I come out of the stall, the lights come back on, I wash my hands...

And then I stand in front of the unlocked door, frustratedly tapping my RFID badge against a blank switch plate on the wall, waiting for it to beep so I can get out of the bathroom...
  • It says don't erase, but it doesn't say not to write on the board that its a pyramid scheme.

That may happen now. How did I not think of that?
  • Muppet inspired me to read through the original PHP hammer blog post. I've made myself mad.
  • Looking that over quickly, I'd say that only about half of his gripes are even really valid gripes that seem mostly based on PHP syntax not having a direct analog to [FAVORITE LANGUAGE], by which I mean, he expects semantic equivalence where equivalence is really only implied because some other language has it.

For much of the other stuff, it's valid, but other languages have similar/the same issues.

Not that PHP isn't a grab bag of glued together libraries, but what code project of any size have you worked on that isn't eventually a grab bag of glued together libraries? Who the fuck uses a core language without libraries for anything outside of a classroom?
  • edited April 2015
    His complaint isn't that PHP isn't semantically similar to one language he likes, his complaint is that PHP tries to be semantically similar to a bunch of languages and is itself internally inconsistent. I mean, there are functions that require you to make a call to check a global state to see if they failed even though PHP has exceptions and uses them for other functions.

And the nice thing about including libraries in code projects in other languages is that those times you actually get to choose what you include. Not to mention that PHP's lack of namespaces or scoping makes avoiding namespace collisions a pain and is a security nightmare.

PHP is the worst language that's currently in use professionally.
  • What I mean is that he expects like, a foreach loop, to use an assignment operator the same as an equality assignment, etc. There's no law of the universe that says it has to be that way. He just likes that from [other language], and so on.

PHP is not something I'd use in production code, but neither do I feel a pressing need to write a multiple page rant about it...