This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Fail of Your Day

Comments

• My job is now being threatened unless I spend money to become dual-certified (around $2400) in special education because of a change in state requirements.
    When asked if the school would reimburse us, the answer was a resounding 'meh'.
    I smell a lawsuit.
  • edited May 2015
    So, I'm maybe 90% sure my graphics card just died, unknown cause. Fucking fucksocks. I won't know for sure till I dump it in my backup computer that I use as a test rig. If it works in that, I'm officially baffled, but probably still need to buy a new card.

On the upside, I was planning to upgrade soon anyway, and I guess I MIGHT get a free game out of it.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • edited May 2015
    Churba said:

So, I'm maybe 90% sure my graphics card just died, unknown cause. Fucking fucksocks. I won't know for sure till I dump it in my backup computer that I use as a test rig. If it works in that, I'm officially baffled, but probably still need to buy a new card.

On the upside, I was planning to upgrade soon anyway, and I guess I MIGHT get a free game out of it.

Do I have a deal for you mate.

I'm half tempted to pick up a 970, I don't really need one though. My 770 is pretty decent... more than anything I need to upgrade my motherboard and CPU. They're getting a bit long in the tooth.
    Post edited by MATATAT on
  • edited May 2015
    Not happening, on account of the fact that the cheapest one is about a hundred bucks out of my price range. Or at least, not happening right now. I'll keep it in mind.

AMD has the same thing going on, but cheaper, and you get Star Citizen.

Edit - Predictably, both are not available in Australia, but I was expecting that.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • Ah shit, yeah I forgot I saw people complaining about that on reddit. Totally forgot.
  • edited May 2015
    MATATAT said:

Ah shit, yeah I forgot I saw people complaining about that on reddit. Totally forgot.

Yeah, it's a weird selection of countries they have. I mean, I can get this shit in serbia, I can get it in greece's broke-dick economy, I can get it in perpetually war-torn israel, but a modern, industrialized first world western nation where I can walk down the store and buy the card right off the shelf? Nah mate, sorry.

I CAN get it from Amazon, maybe, but only if I can find one that ships here, which is far from all of them at the best of times.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • $4 billion = ¥5 billion

Good job with the math, Polygon.
  • The schedule changed for my autocross series so now I'll have to miss 2 events instead of just 1.
  • Churba said:

MATATAT said:

Ah shit, yeah I forgot I saw people complaining about that on reddit. Totally forgot.

Yeah, it's a weird selection of countries they have. I mean, I can get this shit in serbia, I can get it in greece's broke-dick economy, I can get it in perpetually war-torn israel, but a modern, industrialized first world western nation where I can walk down the store and buy the card right off the shelf? Nah mate, sorry.

I CAN get it from Amazon, maybe, but only if I can find one that ships here, which is far from all of them at the best of times.
    I bought my GTX980 from Amazon but at the time there was no bonus offers however I got Farcry 4 with my SSD for free so I was fine with that. Usually MSI is good with offering stuff globally.
    XFX R9 290 lifetime warranty plus all the games.
    MSI, Sapphire and some Asus models also ship to Australia with the games. They are selling super fast at the moment as their prices have been dropped (new cards coming).
  • Bit late now, I gave up and just bought from Umart, but I'll keep it in mind for next time.
  • edited May 2015
    http://toybox.io9.com/black-widow-absent-from-a-toy-based-on-one-of-her-coole-1703705181/

Super fail.

My 5 year old has been asking for a Black Widow to match her set of 12" Avengers. She's got Spiderman, Hulk, Iron Man, and Captain America. There's no Black Widow in the line-up, though.

"Girls don't buy action figures" seems like a bit of a self-fulfilling prophecy when you market like this.

Oh wait here's a full set of the Avengers!!

http://www.amazon.com/Marvel-Armored-Spider-Man-Captain-Wolverine/dp/B00ML0JN2I

...almost... and... uhh... Wolverine. For some reason.
    Post edited by muppet on
  • Nah, that last one's fair enough. It's a comic set, not a movie set, and both Wolverine and Spiderman have been Avengers in the comic books. Concurrently, as far as I know, too.

That said, Janet Van Dyne is a founding member, and you don't see many of her action figures around...
  • I don't remember Wolverine being In the Avengers but I definitely haven't read them exhaustively. In any case I think the current market is far more aware of the films. Seems silly even if you want a set with their comic appearance/colors.

They do sell black widow figures here and there, but not in this form factor. Sucks.
  • muppet said:

I don't remember Wolverine being In the Avengers but I definitely haven't read them exhaustively. In any case I think the current market is far more aware of the films. Seems silly even if you want a set with their comic appearance/colors.

They do sell black widow figures here and there, but not in this form factor. Sucks.

Shit I can't find the tweet but you can make one by using a red hair princess doll and some paint for a DIY version.
  • edited May 2015
    What I mean to say is that I'm vaguely aware that Wolverine was in at least a few Avenger's comics, but it seems pretty obscure in a way that Black Widow isn't right now. So... this just seems kinda hypocritical on the part of the "toy makers" here. We won't sell Black Widow in the Titan Heroes line because she won't sell, but we'll sell guys who "nobody" but a few niche fans (relative to movie fans) really know are in the Avengers in the first place.

I mean, I guess Wolverine has recognition factor of his own, but still, his last movie was a while ago.

Yeah I bet I could make my own but she'd just say "Daddy this doesn't match my other ones." :)
    Post edited by muppet on
  • Churba said:

That said, Janet Van Dyne is a founding member, and you don't see many of her action figures around...

Yeah, and isn't Black Widow a double agent for Hydra or something?
  • Looks like Verizon is trying to duplicate what cable companies did in TV land when they bought up media companies.
  • A write-up I did for the trailer should post sometimes today, but I'm not surprised by the reaction. It's inoffensive and dull, but it's very much a "In name only" type of adaptation. Plus that trailer pretty much showed what the entire film is going to be.
  • Churba said:

Yeah, and isn't Black Widow a double agent for Hydra or something?
    No.
    muppet said:

What I mean to say is that I'm vaguely aware that Wolverine was in at least a few Avenger's comics, but it seems pretty obscure in a way that Black Widow isn't right now. So... this just seems kinda hypocritical on the part of the "toy makers" here. We won't sell Black Widow in the Titan Heroes line because she won't sell, but we'll sell guys who "nobody" but a few niche fans (relative to movie fans) really know are in the Avengers in the first place.

I mean, I guess Wolverine has recognition factor of his own, but still, his last movie was a while ago.

Yeah I bet I could make my own but she'd just say "Daddy this doesn't match my other ones." :)

Wolverine was on the New Avengers roster for ages. Plus almost every hero on the Marvel Universe has been on on the Avengers. It's like American actors and appearances on Law and Order.

I guess you guys in America don't get the Hong Kong toy companies stocking your shops..

• There are Black Widow toys available here, but she's missing from key, widely available lines/sets most of the time. Target, for example, sells a series of reasonably inexpensive 12" action figures of most of the Avengers, which are effectively DOLLS, but Black Widow isn't included in the series because reasons.

That in particular seems rather shit.

Wolverine as an Avenger is obscure compared to Black Widow as an Avenger because Avenger's movies, is what I was saying.
  • muppet said:

That in particular seems rather shit.

I've seen the Target toys they're absolute shite compared to what this company puts out. I guess in your use scenario you need something that can be played with all their other stuff seems to be for display.
  • edited May 2015
    Right exactly. The Target ones are low detail and cheap, but they're $10 each and I don't care if my 5 year old buffs their faces off on a brick wall (not that she does.)

For what they must cost to produce/ship, it seems to me like including Black Widow over say, a silverized Spiderman, makes sense. They'd rather pander to relatively niche references than sell a GIRL hero in the line.
    Post edited by muppet on
  • muppet said:

Right exactly. The Target ones are low detail and cheap, but they're $10 each and I don't care if my 5 year old buffs their faces off on a brick wall (not that she does.)

For what they must cost to produce/ship, it seems to me like including Black Widow over say, a silverized Spiderman, makes sense. They'd rather pander to relatively niche references than sell a GIRL hero in the line.

Pretty much, I am glad this has become a big deal since my daughter will probably actually have cool toys with great female role-models in the future.. (she is totally going to be a super spy when she grows up)
  • Wow, I heard it was getting bad press but I hadn't payed attention to it and assumed it was a new animated movie. That does look pretty bad.

• Nukerjsr said:

A write-up I did for the trailer should post sometimes today
    Oh! where are you posting the write up? :)
  • Hate to say it but the statement linked from this tweet is a fail. Boston is scared. Those bag checks cost us at least a Rym and a Scott on the Sunday of every Anime Boston now.
  • Yeah. We stopped videoing Anime Boston panels, and stopped doing Sunday panels at all, specifically and solely because of the bag searches.
  • Rym said:

Yeah. We stopped videoing Anime Boston panels, and stopped doing Sunday panels at all, specifically and solely because of the bag searches.

I replied to her about the bag searches, I would encourage you to do the same.