This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Fail of Your Day

Comments

• sK0pe said:

I got destroyed in my Google interview today but there is no way my interviewer is qualified to be interviewing anybody.

Went on for about 15 minutes forcing himself to make short talk by confirming everything in the written surveys. Literally he wanted to talk about my suburb and not knowing where it is.

During the actual question kept indicating as if there was a special programming technique of solving the question as if he was setting up a dynamic programming problem when it was actually just a brute force augmented by sorting. I am so sure he was looking to see if I could write a sorting algorithm but the way he ran it, he kept steering me away from the brute force starting.
    The dude then just stops it and talks about himself for the last 20 minutes.

Dude had no interest in running the interview and was having difficulty even following the format that he was trying to follow. I'm not as salty as someone who would lose an actual paying position.

It blows my mind. After the interview I finished the problem and optimised it beyond the parameters specified in about 20 minutes.

You should discuss that with your recruiter contact, there's a decent chance you'll get a second chance if you want one, if the interviewer was that bad.
    Was it a phone interview or in-person? There's still a chance you might get in-person interviews anyways too.
  • Amp said:

Churba said:

Amp said:

Hay I chatted shit on them about the London cabbie, don't forget that. I mean thats the real deal there.

I remember that too, don't worry. The only problem is that it's harder to tell the difference between black cabs being killed by Uber, and Black Cabs being killed by Cheaper Minicabs.

Yeah its a tricky one. I think they will always have a place in London, but outside of that they are fucked. Uber won't catch on in the UK for some reason, you don't talk to the bus driver or anyone else on the bus. Its too awkward, now place that in a car with a stranger. Fuck that noise I'd rather walk.
    But it's just another cab firm without the need to pay the driver or call the switchboard. If anything it removes human interaction from the process.

• MATATAT said:

I've been told sometimes you need to be direct with people interviewing you and take control, but in an interview environment I'm really bad at doing this. Generally because I feel like I'm a "guest" and my instincts tell me not to be rude. But these days I do try and at least let them know I'd like to manage my time to the fullest.

Definitely be prepared for people to sound super uninterested in doing interviews. It's way less common at smaller companies, but at larger companies I feel like it crops up much more. Some people seem generally interested in finding good candidates but then others seem like they'd rather be shoveling shit than interviewing you. I imagine since bigger companies generally do tons of interviews people just get really burnt out on it.

Ok if this thing is across the board, I have to change the way I interview as the last 8 years of interviews I've done, I let the interviewer feel like they're in control and tell them what I know they want to hear about at work practice and interactions with co-workers.
    In comparison these are just stark - do this task while I fold my arms and look at you stuff around.

You should discuss that with your recruiter contact, there's a decent chance you'll get a second chance if you want one, if the interviewer was that bad.
    Was it a phone interview or in-person? There's still a chance you might get in-person interviews anyways too.

It was a Hangouts interview as I indicated I had a proper microphone and headphone set-up for that versus a phone call. I'll try, the recruiter and the first interviewer (who was supposed to do the phone interview) were way more what I expected. Can't hurt to try.
  • As I'm still unpacking, I found an old physics notebook from community college.

Fail: I honestly remember nothing of that class other that it was taught my a Filipino lady.

• Though Google is gaining ground, Yahoo is still king in Japan.
  • Flickr is still held as the gold standard among photography sort of folk. Professionals usually use their own websites, but it's not unheard of for them to use Flickr for personal stuff, sometimes for portfolio work, I know at least one who does it that way.
  • Daikun said:
    I guess he knows how to make money better than Twitter :P .
  • edited June 2015
    There is an app to order Domino's pizza from your watch.....Dammit America
    Post edited by SuperPichu on
  • There is an app to order Domino's pizza from your watch.....Dammit America

It gets better, you can cast the pizza tracker to a Samsung smart TV if you have the app on your phone and on the TV.

• That's not very shocking after knowing about the xbox app where you can order a pizza with your Kinect. Came out a couple years ago.
  • edited June 2015
    Everquest did that shit a decade ago. They're just playing catch up.
    Post edited by Daikun on
  • Daikun said:
    Yahoo still had services?
    I use Yahoo Pipes as a grep for rss feeds, but it looks like I'll need a replacement.

Looks like ifttt supports Feedly feeds as output. That's promising.
  • okeefe said:

I use Yahoo Pipes as a grep for rss feeds, but it looks like I'll need a replacement.

Found this on gHacks:
    Yahoo Pipes alternatives

You may want to check out the following Pipes alternatives:

ClickScript - A visual programming language that looks similar to Pipes. It is open source and can be tested directly on the site without creation of an account.
    Quadrigram - A business tool to create and publish data driven websites.
    Superpipes - An open source tool build with Superfeedr.
  • At this point my job has become too much of a hindrance. I'm just so fucking done with working where I am, but I don't have another job lined up at the moment.
  • okeefe said:

Daikun said:

After all these years, I'll finally have to migrate my automated zombie outbreak notifier system off of Yahoo pipes. Sad Day.

• okeefe said:

Daikun said:

After all these years, I'll finally have to migrate my automated zombie outbreak notifier system off of Yahoo pipes. Sad Day.

Sounds a bit technical for what could be solved by looking out the window, "Oh look the Jones are eating their children, well that will help Hibiscus in her swimming and by the way Ethel barricade the doors".
  • I have to spend all day at work rewriting a java class into C#. This means I have to spend all day in Windows....
  • Someone managed to break a hanger I made, whats impressive is that it was weighted for 3x what was on it. So somehow someone really fucked up to break this thing, and I am now catching flack for it. I also have to spend my day off at work fixing crap and hunting rats...fucking whopper.
  • I have to spend all day at work rewriting a java class into C#. This means I have to spend all day in Windows....

Just google "C# equivalent of ???". I recently made a Java plugin for one of our classes for this tool that's only written in Java. Took me no time.
  • MATATAT said:

I have to spend all day at work rewriting a java class into C#. This means I have to spend all day in Windows....

Just google "C# equivalent of ???". I recently made a Java plugin for one of our classes for this tool that's only written in Java. Took me no time.
    Unfortunately I'm interfacing with SalesForce so nothing can ever be easy. Ever.
  • Oh yeah, that'll be annoying. But more so because SalesForce kinda sucks.
  • MATATAT said:

Oh yeah, that'll be annoying. But more so because SalesForce kinda sucks.

Tell me about it. I had a fun problem the other day where SalesForce literally wouldn't let me edit my apex class code.
  • Amp said:

okeefe said:

Daikun said:

Sounds a bit technical for what could be solved by looking out the window, "Oh look the Jones are eating their children, well that will help Hibiscus in her swimming and by the way Ethel barricade the doors".
    A window check won't tell me that there's been a strange rash of people being bitten by crazy hobos in Belgium.
  • Amp said:

okeefe said:

Daikun said:

A window check won't tell me that there's been a strange rash of people being bitten by crazy hobos in Belgium.
    I assume your thing filters out Florida, where someone getting bitten by crazy hobos is just a Tuesday.
  • Amp said:

okeefe said:

Daikun said:

I assume your thing filters out Florida, where someone getting bitten by crazy hobos is just a Tuesday.
    Strangely enough, I've noticed Louisiana is more prone.
  • Amp said:

okeefe said:

Daikun said:

Strangely enough, I've noticed Louisiana is more prone.
    The crazy spreads