This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Dwarf Fortress Succession Game II

edited November 2008 in Forum Game
Well, we are at it again. For reference, this is what we're aiming for. An epic tale, told by epic players.

All who are interested, post ye names below. I'll update this post with the names as they appear.

(Yeah, I know I totally copied thane's wording, but whatever)

Todielathu: Region Files
Chapter One
Andrew - Map Save
thaneofcawdor - Save
Günter
nineless
Apreche (?)

Comments

• I've never actually done a succession game, but I do love Dwarf Fortress. Count me in.
    edited November 2008
    Yeah, stupid leaf. I'm in for at least a round.
    Post edited by ... on
  • It was fun the first time, but a big time commitment. I'll pass and mooch off your entertainment.
  • I'll do one round, if I have time. I don't have the time or patience to play an entire fortress right now, but one round of succession could work out, especially with the changes in the recent version. I'm going to have to remember how to play, though...
  • edited November 2008
    Alright, lets talk about specifics. What version are we going to use? I would like to have everyone use one standard (I'm thinking we should use DFG14). I think this is best choice not only because it's more accessible to n00bs, but I think it's better for creating a narrative with screenshots.

What sort of starting location would you all like to use? I would prefer to start near some sort of soil because it's really, really easy to start farms when you dig into some peat or clay. Because it worked out so great last time, the Rapid Expansion build should work well. We can also use a smaller starting grid so games don't get slowed down a couple years in (5x5 or 6x6). Any other ideas you guys want to add?

As for turns, I was thinking we do a one in-game year or one week IRL turn (whichever comes first). That way, if some players don't have enough time to put in a full year time of play, they can only play a couple months or whatever their schedule allows and still participate.
    Post edited by Andrew on
    edited November 2008
    I second the use of just the latest May Green Dwarf Fortress graphic set. It looks great, levers even have a clear on and off state, green and red respectively. As for the starting location and skills/goods. If we pick a place where it's easy to quickly make farms, we perhaps should bring along someone to process pigtail and make bags and clothing out of the thread. The downside of having clay/sand/etc layers on the map is that you can't smooth and engrave them. The best would be a big cliff with the top being farm-able ground.

For the embark rectangle, I use 3x3 myself, but I can easily run a larger area.

Also, I am for no engraving in the bed rooms!
    Post edited by ... on
  • Alright, lets talk about specifics. What version are we going to use? I would like to have everyone use one standard (I'm thinking we should useDFG14). I think this is best choice not only because it's more accessible to n00bs, but I think it's better for creating a narrative with screenshots.
    Completely agree. There won't be another version of the game for months, so using DFG14 is pretty safe.
    What sort of starting location would you all like to use? I would prefer to start near some sort of soil because it's really, really easy to start farms when you dig into some peat or clay. Because it worked out so great last time, the Rapid Expansion build should work well. We can also use a smaller starting grid so games don't get slowed down a couple years in (5x5 or 6x6). Any other ideas you guys want to add?
    Since you can now easily "cheat" to search for certain combinations of resources and locations, you should choose a good spot that combines useful minerals, lava and flux, and challenging terrain with semi-dangerous monsters (probably not Boatmurdered levels of danger, though). The first game was set in a fairly peaceful spot, and since we're all seasoned campaigners by now, we should probably crank up the danger a couple of notches.
    As for turns, I was thinking we do a one in-game year or one week IRL turn (whichever comes first). That way, if some players don't have enough time to put in a full year time of play, they can only play a couple months or whatever their schedule allows and still participate.
    That's not a bad idea, considering the troubles we had last time. My only concern would be that if it isn't strictly "one year or nothing", people may tend to slack off and spend a whole week and only produce half a season or less, slowing the game to a crawl. Honestly, people, you shouldn't attempt this unless you're willing to sacrifice some serious time and effort to produce your turn.
    I second the use of just the latest May Green Dwarf Fortress graphic set. It looks great, levers even have a clear on and off state, green and red respectively. As for the starting location and skills/goods. If we pick a place where it's easy to quickly make farms, we perhaps should bring along someone to process pigtail and make bags and clothing out of the thread. The downside of having clay/sand/etc layers on the map is that you can't smooth and engrave them. The best would be a big cliff with the top being farm-able ground.
    I don't like setting up permanent facilities in dirt or sand. It's physically unrealistic, socially improbable (how many times do I have to say it, Dwarves live in ROCK!) and it looks like crud. Sure, it makes farming easy, but DF is all about the use of impractical underground flood control systems for farming purposes.
    For the embark rectangle, I use 3x3 myself, but I can easily run a larger area.
    I tested my new gaming rig, and it can easily handle the largest size maps, so any size is fine with me.
    Also, I am for no engraving in the bed rooms!
    Hear, hear! Also, lawl.
  • All that is fine, but I don't see the need for the graphics. It doesn't actually improve the user interface, it just changes the icons. If the UI itself isn't updated, I'd rather have the charming ASCII.
  • edited November 2008
    Ignore Scott, the icons are much easier to understand if you haven't spent hours getting used to the ASCII (most of the people on the forum), I could go either way but it's probably better for everyone to keep to graphics.
    I take it the engraved bedrooms thing was a joke.
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • All that is fine, but I don't see the need for the graphics. It doesn't actually improve the user interface, it just changes the icons. If the UI itself isn't updated, I'd rather have the charming ASCII.
    One thing that can be said for the DFG package is that it runs at a higher resolution than vanilla DF, so you don't have to waste time modifying the init file to get a bigger window. That makes for a much better set of screenshots. And while I too prefer the basic ASCII look, as Omnutia said, it's newb friendly.
  • Ignore Scott, the icons are much easier to understand if you haven't spent hours getting used to the ASCII (most of the people on the forum), I could go either way but it's probably better for everyone to keep to graphics.
    Learning how to play is incredibly hard in and of itself, ASCII or no ASCII. If you learn how to play with the ASCII on, you will learn it in the course of learning everything else.
  • You have a fair point but graphics still has the clear advantage of making it possible for people who have never played to see what's going on.
  • I don't like setting up permanent facilities in dirt or sand. It's physically unrealistic, socially improbable (how many times do I have to say it, Dwarves live in ROCK!) and it looks like crud. Sure, it makes farming easy, but DF is all about the use of impractical underground flood control systems for farming purposes.
    I wholeheartedly agree. I stated that 'if' we are going to get a map with instant-farm-able soil. That way at least we can farm a lot and produce a ton of food without the stockpiles piling up with 1 seed/square. I'm having that in my fortress since I forgot to bring pig tail.
    All that is fine, but I don't see the need for the graphics. It doesn't actually improve the user interface, it just changes the icons. If the UI itself isn't updated, I'd rather have the charming ASCII.
    Eh, yes it does. You can see what creatures are without trying to decipher the colour. It also looks better and is much easier to understand than the crammed ASCII that is standard.
    No seriously, don't engrave bed rooms. I've come to the point where I prefer that the only engravings are on walls in my important rooms. Like my legendary dining hall, throne room, royal stuff. Main hall leading to that section of the fort.
  • edited November 2008
    Fellow lords, I wish to submit a new proposal for the council's consideration. It is time for us to spread our influence in the great land of Todielathu.
    I, Andarian, propose we found a new colony in The Bent Spines, a treacherous yet potentially prosperous land in the southern hemisphere. We have reason to believe that there is an active magma pipe in the region, one which would be useful for our great civilization. The land is cold and barren, offering untamed wilds for us to test our mettle. What say ye, great council? Will you grant the approval of this mining colony?
    Post edited by Andrew on
  • No seriously, don't engrave bed rooms. I've come to the point where I prefer that the only engravings are on walls in my important rooms. Like my legendary dining hall, throne room, royal stuff. Main hall leading to that section of the fort.
    From a functionality standpoint, engraving things reduces the chances of your dwarfs going nutso. That said, it does look odd so maybe just stick to smoothing.
  • Additionally, if we want to get all the artists involved in the game, why not have an artist attack among you guys where you each illustrate one event from each turn? Just an idea.
  • I agree with Scott on the subject of graphics, as I prefer the ASCII myself, but I'm easy either way.
    Additionally, if we want to get all the artists involved in the game, why not have an artist attack among you guys where you each illustrate one event from each turn? Just an idea.
    I'm not much of an artist, but that sounds good to me.
  • I, Andarian, propose we found a new colony in The Bent Spines, a treacherous yet potentially prosperous land in the southern hemisphere. We have reason to believe that there is an active magma pipe in the region, one which would be useful for our great civilization. The land is cold and barren, offering untamed wilds for us to test our mettle. What say ye, great council? Will you grant the approval of this mining colony?
    Thanius approves!
  • No seriously, don't engrave bed rooms. I've come to the point where I prefer that the only engravings are on walls in my important rooms. Like my legendary dining hall, throne room, royal stuff. Main hall leading to that section of the fort.
    From a functionality standpoint, engraving things reduces the chances of your dwarfs going nutso. That said, it does look odd so maybe just stick to smoothing.
    Are you using the init file option to turn off the engraved pictures?
  • edited November 2008
    This is a little bit off-topic but whatever. Apparently the new version of DF allows saving and loading of your starting loadouts. Does it save those starting configurations in a file? Can someone post a good starting configuration loadout to save me even more work?

Also, I just tried to use the graphics version. It was buggy and crashy. It crashed immediately the first time I started it. Also, it has no audio.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • edited November 2008
    This is a little bit off-topic but whatever. Apparently the new version of DF allows saving and loading of your starting loadouts. Does it save those starting configurations in a file? Can someone post a good starting configuration loadout to save me even more work?
    I was not told of this. It's about damn time he added that feature!
    Also, I just tried to use the graphics version. It was buggy and crashy. It crashed immediately the first time I started it. Also, it has no audio.
    Yet another reason to just go with ASCII.
    Post edited by Walker on
  • If the graphics version in no way effects the save file (provided everyone is using the same engine version) then it should mean people can use the version they prefer. It is my preference to use the graphics version as it is easier to get back into and makes for easier to understand screenshots, particularly for the majority of the forum who haven't spent the time to familiarize themselves with the various characters.
    Either way, the save files should be compatible.
    edited November 2008
    It stores everything in a text file. Also, starting load-outs are pretty play-style and area specific. I'll add my first saved profile to the bottom of this post.
    Eh, that has nothing to do with the graphics set Scott. It's just a different image file which is used to render the game. It is Dwarf Fortress itself that is buggy and crashy if you're having problems.
    Yet another reason to just go with ASCIIthe default image consisting of ASCII characters.
    If the graphics version in no way effects the save file
    Why would it effect anything? It's merely the presentation, merely what is rendered. The data behind it is not changed.

You can change the title to something useful, I just stored this because it's a new feature. You'll have to paste it into your data\init\embark_profiles.txt file. A white line between this and existing profiles might be required, but I don't know about that.
    [PROFILE]
    [TITLE:Profile 1]
    [SKILL:1:MINING:5]
    [SKILL:1:NEGOTIATION:2]
    [SKILL:1:JUDGING_INTENT:1]
    [SKILL:1:APPRAISAL:2]
    [SKILL:2:MINING:5]
    [SKILL:2:MECHANICS:5]
    [SKILL:3:MASONRY:5]
    [SKILL:3:DESIGNBUILDING:5]
    [SKILL:4:WOODCUTTING:5]
    [SKILL:4:CARPENTRY:5]
    [SKILL:5:SMELT:2]
    [SKILL:5:FORGE_WEAPON:5]
    [SKILL:5:FORGE_ARMOR:1]
    [SKILL:5:FORGE_FURNITURE:1]
    [SKILL:5:WOOD_BURNING:1]
    [SKILL:6:BREWING:3]
    [SKILL:6:PLANT:5]
    [SKILL:6:HERBALISM:2]
    [SKILL:7:COOK:5]
    [SKILL:7:PLANT:5]
    [ITEM:1:ANVIL:NONE:METAL:IRON]
    [ITEM:1:BAR:NONE:METAL:STEEL]
    [ITEM:2:BAR:NONE:METAL:BISMUTH_BRONZE]
    [ITEM:3:STONE:NONE:STONE:BAUXITE]
    [ITEM:21:DRINK:NONE:PLANT_ALCOHOL:POD_SWEET]
    [ITEM:21:DRINK:NONE:PLANT_ALCOHOL:GRASS_TAIL_PIG]
    [ITEM:21:DRINK:NONE:PLANT_ALCOHOL:GRASS_WHEAT_CAVE]
    [ITEM:21:DRINK:NONE:PLANT_ALCOHOL:MUSHROOM_HELMET_PLUMP]
    [ITEM:5:MEAT:NONE:DONKEY:NONE]
    [ITEM:5:MEAT:NONE:MULE:NONE]
    [ITEM:5:MEAT:NONE:CAT:NONE]
    [ITEM:5:MEAT:NONE:DOG:NONE]
    [ITEM:5:MEAT:NONE:DEER:NONE]
    [ITEM:5:FISH:NONE:FISH_CHAR:NONE]
    [ITEM:5:MEAT:NONE:GOAT_MOUNTAIN:NONE]
    [ITEM:5:MEAT:NONE:MARMOT_HOARY:NONE]
    [ITEM:5:FISH:NONE:FISH_TROUT_RAINBOW:NONE]
    [ITEM:5:MEAT:NONE:HORSE:NONE]
    [ITEM:5:MEAT:NONE:GROUNDHOG:NONE]
    [ITEM:5:MEAT:NONE:FOX:NONE]
    [ITEM:5:MEAT:NONE:MACAQUE_RHESUS:NONE]
    [ITEM:5:MEAT:NONE:RACCOON:NONE]
    [ITEM:5:FISH:NONE:FISH_MOLLY_SAILFIN:NONE]
    [ITEM:5:FISH:NONE:FISH_PERCH:NONE]
    [ITEM:11:SEEDS:NONE:POD_SWEET:NONE]
    [ITEM:11:SEEDS:NONE:BUSH_QUARRY:NONE]
    [ITEM:11:SEEDS:NONE:GRASS_WHEAT_CAVE:NONE]
    [ITEM:13:SEEDS:NONE:MUSHROOM_HELMET_PLUMP:NONE]
    Post edited by ... on
    This is the diary of Andarian, son of Petrius the Potash Maker, first lord of Spatteredlances.
    Strike the Earth!
    1st Granite 301 - We have arrived at Spatteredlances! We stopped on top of a hill, a great point to initiate defensives. We begin building some workshops to construct our picks and dig down into the mountain.

15th Granite 301 - We've finished the hollowing of our hill, and begun the framework for our fortress. This hill top will make a nice emplacement for marksmen. We might even consider making a little castle on top. We are trying to reach the sand to find some suitable farmland, there is little water here and of that, all of it's frozen. It's quite cold up here in the mountains, I can feel my bones start to freeze.

18th Granite 301 - I've designed a basic layout for our workshops and trashroom. The miners have begun crafting them out while we still look for some farm land. I am chilled to the bone, we need to get inside the mountain if we don't want to die from the cold.

26th Granite 301- Success! We have created a farm room from some sand we found west of our location.

17th Slate 301 - We are finally finishing some of the fortress rooms. I've laid out plans for workshop space, office space, a grand hall, and our apartment complex. Our spirits are high as we make steady progress in the construction.
    25th Slate 301 - We've spotted a Giant Eagle circling us over head. I've ordered everyone to start moving in doors. I feel that this does not bode well...

21st Felsite 301 - I'm having second thoughts on placement of the apartments and grand hall. I think I'm going to take a second look at the design.

5th Hematite 301 - I've redesigned the housing situation and moved the grant hall into the new open space. I utilized a fractal design that I learned from university. Hopefully our artful design will give us favor from the Council.

15th Hematite 301 - I ordered the construction of some obisidian short swords. I have a feeling that anything could happen, especially in this dangerous land. Additionally, they are quite valuable.

25th Hematite 301 - I've laid out an early design for a trap hall in case we get seiged.
    17th Galena 301 - The first phase of the bedrooms are completed, now I just need to layout the rest of the design. We are low on wood, so I need to get the dwarves out to get chopping.

20th Galena 301 - Construction of the defensive tower is complete. All it needs is fortifications carved in it.
  • edited November 2008
    Now all we do is wait for it to go horribly wrong..
    A note on fortifications: If you set them high up, the bonus for not getting hit increases vertically as well as horizontally.
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • edited November 2008
    13th Limestone 301 - Our carpenter is a lazy bastard, so I'm getting some copper axes made so someone else will get to it.

28th Limestone 301 - After I threatened to eat his dogs, our woodcutter finally got to work. Fortunately, the traders have arrived. I just need to calm my nerves enough to not scare them away...

2nd Timber 301 - We finally found a steady water source south of the fortress. I have begun working on a tunnel system to transfer water to a cistern below our main fort. This endeavor is quite significant, and I feel that many of the decisions will be left to a successor...

25th Timber 301 - It's finished! I've finally finished the design of the bedrooms. It took quite some time, however it will pay off in the future.

13th Opal 301 - I've begun work on smelting a bunch of the native copper around the fortress.

22nd Obsidian 301 - We've finally finished the tunnel to drain water towards the main fortress. All that needs to be completed is a cistern and then it's ready to be opened. Each lever opens it's corresponding floodgate. We were lucky that the river froze over, it made our work infinitely easier.

24th Obsidian 301 - I designed a layout for a tomb to lay our dead to rest. Hopefully, it won't be used anytime soon.

It's been one year, but I feel I can hold on no longer. My duties as fort architect, leader, babysitter, and engineer have left me exhausted. I sent word back home for a replacement to be sent. Hopefully I can now focus on my engineering duties as we ramp up production. To my successor:
    -I've left a map of the walls that need to be dug out to continue work on the bedroom complex. Please only mark the walls in red squares for deletion when you are ready to start building.
    -Before you let the water flow, make sure you have a cistern for the water to be stored. You will also need to lay the ground work for a pump system to raise the water several z-levels up. I was hoping for some waterfalls in the main hall.
    -Food is stable for now, but we need to make sure we can accommodate migrants.
    -While things have been relatively quiet, you will need to make sure defenses are ramped up.

Bedroom schematics:
    Storage Rooms:
    Tower Foundation:
    Post edited by Andrew on
  • edited November 2008
    Map and Save are posted in original post. Thane, it's in your hands now.
    Post edited by Andrew on
  • I need to remember how to play before my turn.
  • I need to remember how to play before my turn.
    I thought so as well, but I played only 30ish minutes before I started the Succession fort and I easily remembered everything.