This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Dwarf Fortress Succession Game II

1235»

Comments

• In the meantime, the non-pussies among you should try Aurora, quite often referred to as the Dwarf Fortress of 4X games. Once you sign up for the forum there, you can download the game. Warning: it's effing hard core, and the documentation sucks truck nuts. Even the wiki doen't help much. But it's deep, oh so wonderful and deeeeeeep.
  • In the meantime, the non-pussies among you should tryAurora, quite often referred to as the Dwarf Fortress of 4X games. Once you sign up for the forum there, you can download the game. Warning: it's effing hard core, and the documentation sucks truck nuts. Even thewikidoen't help much. But it's deep, oh so wonderful and deeeeeeep.
    I took one look at the game, realized that everything was powered by magical space rocks. Now these magical space rocks cause the ships they power to act like they are sailing. in water.
    In other words: SPACE IS AN OCEAN.
  • I took one look at the game, realized that everything was powered by magical space rocks. Now these magical space rocks cause the ships they power to act like they are sailing. in water.
    Are you sure it is rocks and not spice?
  • Are you sure it is rocks and not spice?
    I read the part of their wiki describing it. It's magical space rocks.
    Also, THE SPICE MUST FLOW
  • Are you sure it is rocks and not spice?
    I read the part of their wiki describing it. It's magical space rocks.
    Also, THE SPICE MUST FLOW
    http://cryingfremen.ytmnd.com/
  • Aurora makes my head hurt. It doesn't help that the wiki is essentially complete shit.
  • I would've played Aurora more than an hour when I learned about its existence if the retarded fluff didn't destroy my suspension of disbelief. Okay, magic rocks whatever. Mined from the core of planets. Humanity and the Sol solar system as default... ooooh-kay... I then dropped it. On the one hand the programmer wants to be 'realistic', on the other hand he wants to be lazy when it comes to the space travel programming. So why the fuck did he not just claim it's an entirely different universe, unrelated to ours where space is made out of æther. Then you also don't have to make crazy rocks from another dimension that are found in the core of a planet. That would make more sense and would be more believable. Fuck those trans-Newtonian elements.
  • I took one look at the game, realized that everything was powered by magical space rocks. Now these magical space rocks cause the ships they power to act like they are sailing. in water.
    I would've played Aurora more than an hour when I learned about its existence if the retarded fluff didn't destroy my suspension of disbelief. Okay, magic rocks whatever. Mined from the core of planets. Humanity and the Sol solar system as default... ooooh-kay... I then dropped it. On the one hand the programmer wants to be 'realistic', on the other hand he wants to be lazy when it comes to the space travel programming. So why the fuck did he not just claim it's an entirely different universe, unrelated to ours where space is made out of æther. Then you also don't have to make crazy rocks from another dimension that are found in the core of a planet. That would make more sense and would be more believable. Fuck those trans-Newtonian elements.
    Wow. I hadn't read that. It doesn't bother me, though, because the game is so damn good. Also, you can set the game in a random universe - doesn't have to be Earth. But if you can't man up and push past the flavour-text bullshit, well, it's your loss.
    Aurora makes my head hurt. It doesn't help that the wiki is essentially complete shit.
    You've probably seen these, but the wiki has a set of tutorials starting here. Also, there are tutorials on their forum.
  • Also, you can set the game in a random universe - doesn't have to be Earth.
    I know, Sol and humanity are still default, and it irks me. But that still doesn't solve the "mining from the core of the planet" insanity.
    But if you can't man up and push past the flavour-text bullshit, well, it's your loss.
    It is indeed my loss, I just gave my opinion.

Oh, I forgot about the crazy resolution requirements. 1280x1024 minimum. Which means I have to hook up my monitor, blech. I don't see why he couldn't just make the windows more dynamic with a fucking scroll bar and proper maximizing. And then there were the dozens of errors every time I tried to go forward in time. I was following the tutorial even.

It's the DF of 4x space games until Praetor finishes his 4x space game, with actual space.
  • Wow. I hadn't read that. It doesn't bother me, though, because the game is so damn good. Also, you can set the game in a random universe - doesn't have to be Earth. But if you can't man up and push past the flavour-text bullshit, well, it's your loss.
    It's not flavor-text bullshit, this 'flavor' as you call it defines an important aspect of the game. I was with it up to Trans-Newtonian elements. Then I learned that you can't even make conventional ships if you wanted to.
  • I just tried to play Aurora.

W T F

This is so unbelievably insane. I can definitely imagine people playing it, though. What I can't imagine is people making it. Who are these nut jobs?
  • I just tried to play Aurora.

W T F

This is so unbelievably insane. I can definitely imagine people playing it, though. What I can't imagine is people making it. Who are these nut jobs?
    I believe the creator is a pro poker player who spends all his free time building the game of his dreams. He's rapidly becoming my hero.
  • I have to admit, that's awesome. Perhaps I'll try the game sometime.
  • crossbow bolts failing to penetrate clothing now...
    BEST UPDATE EVER. No more overpowered machine guns disguised as crossbows.
  • Bronzemurder v. Oggez Rashas
    Beat you to it by an hour. But it's a pretty good comic/storybook-alike/whatever you call it.
    Beat you to it by an hour.But it's a pretty good comic/storybook-alike/whatever you call it.
    I don't read that thread.
    Beat you to it by an hour.But it's a pretty good comic/storybook-alike/whatever you call it.
    I don't read that thread.
    That's what I figured, but let's face it, I'll take whatever tiny, petty victories I can get.