This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

New Years Resolutions

edited January 2009 in Everything Else
On the first of every new year, people of many cultures around the go through the tradition of making arbitrary goals for themselves in an effort to better themselves.
Do you practice this tradition? If so, what are your resolutions? If no, Why not?

For the most part, I don't because I have a chicken memory and thus can never fulfill my resolutions. However, It's always a goal of mine to lose weight and develop more meaningful relationships with people.

Comments

• I am definitely going to read more books this year, starting with The Lord of the Rings (which has sat on my shelf since Xmas '01). I read only two books last year, an all-time low.

Also, a while back I resolved to be more physically active, which started really well by joining a gym, but after I got a more physically demanding job, the gym fell by the wayside. For this year, I'm going back to the gym, and cranking it up a notch, so to speak. Hell, I might even start playing cricket or rugby again, who knows?
  • I don't do new years resolutions, they're useless. The majority of people who make new years resolutions will have forgotten them come January 5th.
  • I am NOT going to lose weight. I always say I will and never do. So if I say I wont then maybe... :P
  • Not so much resolutions as I have plans, one is to start taking grad school classes and the second is to finish my basement. Both are particularly easy for me to accomplish. (should have the basement done in a month).

That and eat less and work out more :-p Both no formal resolutions. (I was already doing this before the holidays I just have to get back on the wagon ;-p
  • My plans are to continue improving my business, to get my blog more readers through the addition of video and make a serious and planned effort at starting that comics magazine again.
  • Build, craft, make more shit this year.
  • make more shit this year
  • make more shit this year
    [Obvious Joke about food consumption]
  • 1280 x 1024...

If nothing else, I want to enjoy the rest of the school year with the people I'm gonna be missing tons at college.
  • I resolve not to make any resolutions. Wait...
  • I've not made any resolution this year yet. I've been unwell so I've put little effort into anything that takes any thinking. But I'll think of something over the next few days.

Any ever kept a new years resolution for a full year? I did a few times.

2002: Don't sleep in a bed for an entire year. I'd give myself a half point for this one. I did sleep in a bed for a few nights, but never alone, so I re-wrote the resolution a few months in to be "Don't sleep in a bed for the whole year, except when a young lady is with you, as it would be counterproductive to try to convince her to sleep on the floor."

2003: No alcohol for an entire year. I made this resolution after looking back over a period of a month and a half and not finding a single day I didn't have at least one drink. Since the end of 2004 I've not been that good at drinking.

2003: Also made a resolution to create and perform six new juggling acts by December. It was this resolution that made me put much more work into my juggling, and by the end of the year I had quit my day job.
  • Don't sleep in a bed for an entire year
    Why?
  • Don't sleep in a bed for an entire year
    Why?
    No big reason. I just thought it was an interesting idea. I think the year before I'd resolved to do something useful, and failed, so I wanted to see if trying to do something completely useless was easier.
  • I had quit my day job.
    That being? hehe.
  • I had quit my day job.
    That being? hehe.
    I worked in a music and youth TV department, working mainly as a sound technician and video editor, but also did production work and camera direction. When you work in a small team you end up having lots of responsibilities.
  • My only resolutions are things I planned on getting to after the holidays anyway. Things like getting back into an exercise routine, practicing drums more, learning to drive a car, going to community college. I think "Stuff I wanted to do anyway" is more accurate than "New Years Resolutions".
  • Better myself, in any way and as much as I can. That's always my resolution.
  • I have hit a plateau on the drums in Rock Band 2, so my resolution is to move up to Hard and then onto Expert and hopefully onto real drums within 2009.
  • For the first time ever, I actually followed my resolution throughout the year and read more than twenty books on my own. I can now confidently say it's become a habit, and not something I have to think of.

Before that, though, every year was the same resolution: Learn an instrument and get in shape.

For this year, my plan is to figure out what job I want to do after college and write an entry on my blog every day. I'm not writing in search of fans or views, I just find writing to be therapeutic, but something I don't do enough (just like what reading was last year).
  • If you have a New Years resolution, that implies a few things. It implies that there is something about your life you would like to change. It also implies that you have the power to make that change. Lastly, it implies that you have not already made the change. In other words, resolutions are for people without will power. If you had will power, you would have made the change to your life immediately. You wouldn't have waited around until New Years, and had to try very hard to make the change.

Since whenever I want to make a change, I just do it immediately, I don't need to resolve anything.
  • If you have a New Years resolution, that implies a few things. It implies that there is something about your life you would like to change. It also implies that you have the power to make that change. Lastly, it implies that you have not already made the change. In other words, resolutions are for people without will power. If you had will power, you would have made the change to your life immediately. You wouldn't have waited around until New Years, and had to try very hard to make the change.

Since whenever I want to make a change, I just do it immediately, I don't need to resolve anything.
    I think it's more about taking time around new years to reflect on your life, rather than an excuse.
  • What about setting a focus for the year ahead? No one remembers new years resolutions, which are pretty much a goal that you set for yourself. What if you want to focus on social relationships instead of setting a goal that you want to date at least 5 times in the next year? The main difference is that instead of trying to fix something that needs changing, you're trying to expand the area you selected. If you were fat and needed exercise, it's best to attend to that problem immediately. On the other hand, you could say that you wish to see how you could focus on your physical and mental health for 2009 and see how you can improve your general standard of health. It seems like a much more feasible to do, because you are not constricting yourself to an arbitrary goal that you most likely will not do.
  • I think it's more about taking time around new years to reflect on your life, rather than an excuse.
    There's a difference between reflecting and resolving. A resolution is a plan for the future. It is a declaration of intent to make a change of some sort. If you're talking about something external, then a resolution makes sense. A group of people resolve to strive towards a particular goal.

For an individual person, a resolution is kind of silly. You don't need a declaration. You should have 100% complete control of yourself. Assuming you have the will power, you should be able to change yourself instantly. If you have a new year's resolution to spend less time uselessly browsing the web, you don't need a resolution. Just stop it. In the middle of last year I decided to do just that. One day I was wasting hours with google reader. The next day I didn't visit it, even once. It's that easy. If you are weak willed, resolutions aren't going to help you, since you don't have complete control of yourself to begin with.
  • 1) Continue to spend less "wasteful" time on the internet. That was the best decision I made last year, and frankly I see myself just starting to slide down the slippery slope. Time to put the brakes back on.
    2) Read more. I have a stack of books that I KNOW I will like. For the past two months or so, I haven't read nearly enough. Time to get back into the groove.
    3) Get rid of cable TV. As it stands now, we don't watch much TV. It's a lot of wasted money for us. My mother-in-law is visiting in February. She'll be home alone during the day while we're at work. Once her visit is over, we're canceling cable.
  • I think it's more about taking time around new years to reflect on your life, rather than an excuse.
    There's a difference between reflecting and resolving. A resolution is a plan for the future. It is a declaration of intent to make a change of some sort. If you're talking about something external, then a resolution makes sense. A group of people resolve to strive towards a particular goal.

For an individual person, a resolution is kind of silly. You don't need a declaration. You should have 100% complete control of yourself. Assuming you have the will power, you should be able to change yourself instantly. If you have a new year's resolution to spend less time uselessly browsing the web, you don't need a resolution. Just stop it. In the middle of last year I decided to do just that. One day I was wasting hours with google reader. The next day I didn't visit it, even once. It's that easy. If you are weak willed, resolutions aren't going to help you, since you don't have complete control of yourself to begin with.
    Well, in my case is just what I plan to invest my money/time into this year, I can't do it immediately because I don't have any money to spare at the moment, and last years budget went to guitar playing, last year a friend gave me some wool and I learned how to knit, I liked it, so this year I want to make more stuff. I'm not weak willed, I started eating right and exercising well before the holidays and know that I don't have to wait till new year to start. So no, I don't think its always silly.
  • edited January 2009
    I completely agree with Scott on this one. I don't need January first to come rolling around before I try to change something in my life. If I see that something needs to be done, I do it as soon as possible.

Common New Years resolutions like quitting smoking and losing weight are for the weak willed. Anyone who is serious about doing either should be striving to do them year round, making the decision and change ASAP...and I doubt many of those people really make that decision on January 1.
    Post edited by Dkong on
  • Thaed should use this for the next FNPL. Its shaping up to be quite the topic.
  • edited January 2009
    I have goals for the year, but they're really holdovers from last year towards which I'm constantly working. With the holidays gone, I'm going to get my ass back to the gym regularly. Also, once I actually stop being lazy and find a new (bigger) apartment, I'm going to start craft brewing. One of the Crew gave me a fantastic name for my first (really, second) beer, and I'm going to shamelessly steal it:

Pete's Bitter Black Existence. A Russian Imperial Stout, probably with notes of bitter chocolate, licorice, and espresso, and a pronounced bitter hoppiness. It will happen.
    Post edited by TheWhaleShark on
  • edited January 2009
    I don't make New Years Resolutions. I am actually with Scott on how arbitrary it is. People should have a continual awareness of self and adjust their goals accordingly. Waiting until the New Year is a cop-out from doing something sooner and gives someone a way to feel better when they do not accomplish said resolution (as most people don't accomplish their NYR's it feels okay to let your goals go and puss out/lazy-out of really doing something). Also, most of the NYR's I have heard are about losing wright and getting in shape. While getting in shape is a fine goal to have, I look at some of the people and they have REAL problems (bad relationships, jobs their hate, bad credit, etc.) that they ignore in order to focus on relatively trivial matters (like weight).
    I have been working on several goals for the past months/years. When I don't complete them, I do not have the convenient "it was only a NYR and EVERYONE breaks them" attitude, I actually feel stupid or I realize that the goal is not worth it and stop thinking about it.
    Being a better you or accomplishing what you want to should be a CONSTANT daily exercise, not a silly once-per-year occurrence.
    EDIT; Where I differ from Scott is in the belief that people can instantly change habits and second natures. This takes time, but it really only takes vigilance until new habits are learned. One of the easiest ways to get rid of a bad habit it to keep a little notebook in your pocket and tally off each time you do it per day, then when you start doing it less you make tallys per week, then per month. When you go a month or two without a tally, you usually don't need the notebook anymore. To create a new habit, keep track using tallys, but also build in a reward system for yourself (if you do the activity X # of times or spend X hours per day doing the activity, then you treat yourself to something (preferably not food - that is just weird). For example, I used to wait until the last minute to write papers, they were always good, but they could have been better. For every week or day (depending on the time limit from assignment) I started and worked on the paper before the due date, I would schedule a massage at the campus wellness center ($5 bucks per trip). Eventually I didn't even keep track, I just got a massage twice a month and kept up with my papers.
    Post edited by Kate Monster on
  • I'm not big on resolutions either. If there is an improvement to be made, I think it should be immediately implemented. However, I do like the poetry of using the new year as a marker. Thus, I have a New Years goal. It's really self centered, but I think it's an interesting thing to try out. By the end of this year, I want, at some time, for the first Google search result for my first and last name to be some reference to me. It would be very beneficial if people who saw my work could easily get more information about me. (Honestly, people don't ask for cards enough) Of course, there is this whole, code of minimal self-promotion. Like not spamming random blogs, I certainly wish other people wouldn't attempt to spam mine.