This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

New Years Resolutions

Comments

• edited January 2009
    1) Continue to spend less "wasteful" time on the internet. That was the best decision I made last year, and frankly I see myself just starting to slide down the slippery slope. Time to put the brakes back on.
    I've noticed how you seem to be spending a lot of time here. Hypocrite much?
    Post edited by HungryJoe on
  • 1) Continue to spend less "wasteful" time on the internet. That was the best decision I made last year, and frankly I see myself just starting to slide down the slippery slope. Time to put the brakes back on.
    How's that been working out for you?
  • I'm going to necro this thread so that we don't need to keep making one for each year.

Since I'm going to be out of pocket with little internet access starting tomorrow until the new year, I figured I should put this up here now to give me some kind of accountability. This year I really want to be a non-shit-talker. I already wrote up the whole thing yesterday, so I'm just going to link to it instead of rewriting it.

http://www.knoxinatorproductions.com/home/2012/12/20/rebirth.html
  • I resolve to continue on my current path without alteration.
  • 1) Continue to spend less "wasteful" time on the internet. That was the best decision I made last year, and frankly I see myself just starting to slide down the slippery slope. Time to put the brakes back on.
    Well, it's been years and he hasn't responded, so presumably pretty well.

• My goal is to have some form of my current game project up by the 10th anniversary of my last one. Not really a New Years resolution, just a goal on the horizon this year.
  • I'm going to necro this thread so that we don't need to keep making one for each year.

Since I'm going to be out of pocket with little internet access starting tomorrow until the new year, I figured I should put this up here now to give me some kind of accountability. This year I really want to be a non-shit-talker. I already wrote up the whole thing yesterday, so I'm just going to link to it instead of rewriting it.

http://www.knoxinatorproductions.com/home/2012/12/20/rebirth.html
    1) Continue to spend less "wasteful" time on the internet. That was the best decision I made last year, and frankly I see myself just starting to slide down the slippery slope. Time to put the brakes back on.
    Well, it's been years and he hasn't responded, so presumably pretty well.

Both of these because my current path is a path of less shit talk, and I will continue it.

• Learn a marketable skill.
  • My resolution this year is to survive another year and build an awesome gaming room in my basement of my new house.
  • You forgot about inviting the forum to your new house.
  • Retain more information through sticky notes in meatspace and a notes section on some server space I own.
  • Make good art and then make better art. I think I can keep that one.
  • Read a thing in moon runes.
  • I achieved my goal from last year of paying off my credit card. Not sure what to attempt this year.
  • Make babies. :P
  • I'm gonna make some music. I got exposed to Ableton and its peripherals through school, and I'm pretty hooked.
  • I'm gonna make some music. I got exposed to Ableton and its peripherals through school, and I'm pretty hooked.
  • Gonna unfat myself this year.
  • Gonna unfat myself this year.
    What is up with not fat people trying to un-fat?

My coworker is even worse. He's literally a walking stick, and is always doing nonsense no-carb diet shit.
  • It's just that I've started drinking to much with grad school and not worked out in a looong time. Entering the Ph.D program has really changed my schedule and priorities. If I continue on my path, my body with be in a horrible way come three or so years. Need to change now while it's still relatively easy.
  • I like New Year's Resolutions. They are a time where I can set myself a finite goal and work hard to try to accomplish it within a set time frame (one year). They're easy to keep track of, too.

Last year, I resolved to simply "get in better shape". It's something I'd been trying to do before, but never really got serious about it. So I nailed that one last year, and got in better shape. I can reliably run a 5k, do 100 push ups in sets of 25, and overall became a bit more muscular and fit. Good stuff. Mission accomplished, now I just need to keep it up, which is a little easier.

This coming year I'm going to learn French, as it's something I've wanted to do for a long time but again have never had an actual plan to do it. So, to that end I'm coming up with a 1-year plan to learn French. It probably won't take that long in actuality, but I think being fluent in it by next January would be a good goal.
  • edited December 2012

This coming year I'm going to learn French, as it's something I've wanted to do for a long time but again have never had an actual plan to do it. So, to that end I'm coming up with a 1-year plan to learn French. It probably won't take that long in actuality, but I think being fluent in it by next January would be a good goal.
    A suggestion to help you.
    Post edited by Coldguy on
  • Hey! Thanks! That's kind of perfect. I've been looking at picking up Rosetta Stone as well.
  • In my opinion, Rosetta Stone's pretty crap and waaaay overpriced. Anki is a really helpful flashcard program (here's the French decks).
  • I know nothing about Rosetta Stone aside from seeing it everywhere, and hearing some people talk about it and like it. No clue if it works or not.

I think the hardest part is going to be getting used to the pronunciation.
  • Do you have a DS? There is also My French Coach. It's nothing great, but a nice refresher/quizzer. You can have my copy if you want.
  • Rosetta Stone just kinda throws you in the pool and expects you to swim 'cause immersion. It really doesn't tell you which way's up or that you shouldn't flail around, but rather move your arms and legs like this (it throws grammar at you and doesn't wait to see what sticks). And I don't like their multiple choice thing.
  • I'm going to pirate the hell out of Muzzy.