This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Booh yah!

Comments

• I don't care about keeping my inbox empty, just that every one is marked unread. Thus, I have a perfect electronic paper trail.
    I'm not sure I understand your process, nor your intended result. Could you explain more?
    Maybe he means don't leave a bazillion emails unread and then go crazy trying to read them later? I personally can't stand having unread emails. If I see that little number pop up next to my inbox, I HAVE to see what it is and either read it/keep it, skim it/delete it, or just plain out delete it (I have a strict deletion system in my head). Then again, I do not get hundreds of emails everyday, which might be yall's case?
  • edited October 2010
    I archive anything that needs a paper trail only after reading it. Everything else has its attachments filed away if important and then is deleted. Having zero emails in my actual inbox is of preeminent importance.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • This online anatomy course I'm taking is amazing. Every week, I watch a couple of hours of videos, and boom, my work is instantly significantly better.
  • I had a massive endorphin dump about 15 minutes ago. I managed to ask the girl I like (who loves Spanish) if she had a boyfriend, and if she wanted to go get dinner with me, all in Spanish, because I was too fucking nervous to ask her in straight English. She told me she was a bit complicated but she's open for dinner (this all happened in Spanish; I avoided "cita." It's a powerful word) and meeting new people (notably not "making new friends"). I got her number. I got a hug from her and a "Thank you for coming," as I left for my apartment.

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
  • all in Spanish,
    D'awww :3

And Jesus, I haven't heard The Wombats for what feels like a solid five years. That song is better than I remember.
  • I want something like this for juggling.
  • I want something like this for juggling.
    Is juggling a skill that you can learn like that? I mean, I guess everything is to some extent, but I'm sure it varies widely. Can you break it down into different techniques that you could show diagrams of, and slow-motion videos and stuff? Or is it more raw physical practice?
  • edited October 2010
    I want something like this for juggling.
    Is juggling a skill that you can learn like that? I mean, I guess everything is to some extent, but I'm sure it varies widely. Can you break it down into different techniques that you could show diagrams of, and slow-motion videos and stuff? Or is it more raw physical practice?
    It's probably like really intense muscle memory. You learn it initially, and then it's a skill that is enhanced through brain and muscle learning. To wit: There are a lot of doctors that can remember off the top of their head how to do more than a few surgeries with their eyes closed, merely because they've done it so many times. Compare flashes in juggling to a Whipple, which is usually a huge procedure that takes 8-10 15-20 hours; per my understanding, you sometimes need a second team to come in because the stress will start to burn you out after about 10 hours. My dad and his operating partner have done them in five, with no assists, because they've done so many.

Also, there are juggling GIFs, notation, and videos. I'm trying to learn presently, and it's really more an issue of learning the initial coordination and the honing the skill. It's like bike riding.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • edited October 2010
    It's probably like really intense muscle memory.
    That's the thing I'm wondering about -- I don't know if something like that would be so useful to learn from an online class. The anatomy class I'm taking right now is really suited to it, because it's just a couple hours of a good instructor breaking down a particular part of anatomy to a really fine degree, showing me stuff I never knew about the body, and then giving a couple of assignments that make me put my new knowledge to use. But drawing is very largely a mental skill -- there's definitely some muscle-memory and motor skills at work, but it's probably 10% hands to 90% knowledge.

Also, apparently your dad is amazing. I can't imagine what it'd be like rooting around inside someone like that. (shut up, guys.)
    also, there are juggling...notation,
    That's cool, but can I just get some tabs instead?
    Post edited by Funfetus on
  • I can't imagine what it'd be like rooting around inside someone like that.(shut up, guys.)
    I wouldn't have even noticed that if you hadn't preemptively pointed it out.
  • I don't know if something like that would be so useful to learn from an online class. The anatomy class I'm taking right now is really suited to it, because it's just a couple hours of a good instructor breaking down a particular part of anatomy to a really fine degree, showing me stuff I never knew about the body, and then giving a couple of assignments that make me put my new knowledge to use. But drawing is very largely a mental skill -- there's definitely some muscle-memory and motor skills at work, but it's probably 10% hands to 90% knowledge.
    I don't know enough about juggling to speak on that.
    That's cool, but can I just get some tabs instead?
    Luke would know more about it than me. He invented Beatmap.
    Also, apparently your dad is amazing.
    He's a pretty cool cat.
  • Okay, to break things down, there are a lot of things about juggling that is knowledge based, but the hard work is the physical part.

I have helped coach many, many people to do tricks I can't personally do. This is because I have years and years of practice at juggling, and I when I juggle I break things down into very small movements and elements. The thing is, it's very easy for me to see what other people are doing, or how they are doing it wrong, and can explain very quickly what they need to change.

For example, one guy was doing a blind kickup with a club, and kept dropping. I said "Hold your hand like this, not like this..." and he could then do the trick every time. I couldn't do the trick, but I could see what he needed to do.

Over and over I give someone advice about a pattern, and they follow it, and after the first time they say "Wow, I just broke my record!" It's like the scene in Kingpin where he goes "How did you know that advice would work after seeing me throw one ball?" and he replies "I didn't see you, I only heard you." I have literally done this; given someone advice after hearing them do a trick, and it helping them.

So you see, it IS possible to get a little bit of advice on a technique, and instantly improve. The problem is that this is usually very personal advice, and you need someone very knowledgeable to watch you practice. Unfortunately, for me to do that with me, I need to video myself.

Then again, this advice only works after the hours and hours and hours of practice it takes to get yourself to the skill level where a single change in technique can make a difference. Tonight, at the juggling club, I tried some 5 club tricks I've not played with for over 3 years. I still have the skill there, and much of the muscle memory, but some things weren't clicking for one of the tricks. So I tried two variations of the trick, worked out what I was doing wrong, and suddenly the trick worked. However, if I wasn't already at that skill level, no amount of helpful knowledge would have helped, just another ten hours of practice!

I guess this is the same with your anatomy class. It's helpful to you now, as you're at a level where someone better than you can say "The leg bone connects to the hip bone.... like THIS." And you go "Oh RIGHT!"

And someone like me, receiving the same knowledge, thinks "I don't own a pencil."
  • I think it's a bout time you did a youtube course on juggling. ;P
  • I think it's a bout time you did a youtube course on juggling. ;P
    I'd watch every video.
  • I do youtube videos called "workshops" and "classroom" but they are either long talks about life as a performer, or single trick ideas with clubs. Courses on juggling would take a long time, and there's no reason for me to do something I wouldn't enjoy.
  • Courses on juggling would take a long time, and there's no reason for me to do something I wouldn't enjoy.
    That's valid. There's a juggling club down the way from me anyway, so it's not like I'm hurting for help.
  • Courses on juggling would take a long time, and there's no reason for me to do something I wouldn't enjoy.
    That's valid. There's a juggling club down the way from me anyway, so it's not like I'm hurting for help.
    I mean, I'd love to do it, if all I did was the juggling and presenting. It's all the video editing and shit like that which would get me down. I love making videos normally, but a workshop project like this would take a lot longer. And it wouldn't be fun editing, just a loooong slog.
  • It's all the video editing and shit like that which would get me down.
    Maybe you could get together with a few juggling friends and you could work together on it. Make some sort of online juggling instructional series. That way, you can spread around the editing work, or just offload it.
    Maybe you could get together with a few juggling friends and you could work together on it. Make some sort of online juggling instructional series. That way, you can spread around the editing work, or just offload it.
    I don't work with other people.
  • I don't work with other people.
    More power to you.
  • GeoGeo
    edited October 2010
    It's all the video editing and shit like that which would get me down.
    Why not? My impression was that because juggling was something of a niche thing, the community surrounding it is close-knit.
    Post edited by Geo on
    Why not? My impression was that because juggling was something of a niche thing, the community surrounding it is close-knit.
    I.t is. But every time I've ever worked with anyone else, they stick with it for about three days, then can't keep up.

It's probably my fault more than the other people, but if I want to get something done, it only happens when I don't need to rely on other people.
  • I successfully rooted my Motorola Droid 1.
    Welcome to the wonderful world that is your liberated android phone.
    What I'm looking forward to the most is getting rid of the facebook app. :P
    What I'm looking forward to the most is getting rid of the facebook app. :P
    See, the reason I rooted my phone was so I could upgrade to Android 2.2 and get to use all the really nice apps like the new fancy google voice search.
  • See, the reason I rooted my phone was so I could upgrade to Android 2.2 and get to use all the really nice apps like the new fancy google voice search.
    I had that already, but my phone still felt slow and clunky. I want a more streamlined and unmodified version of Android (even though the Droid 1 has the most vanilla of the stock phone versions).
  • Probably kicked the ass of my International Relations exam. Now just gotta make sure I actually do my math to prepare for that exam tonight and my exams for this week are done, methinks...Because GSD1 exam is next week. Hurray!
  • Liberated Android phone? Isn't the whole point that it's "liberated" already? Open source fail.
  • Liberated Android phone? Isn't the whole point that it's "liberated" already? Open source fail.
    If it were stock android, it'd be fine, but OEMs add their own shit to it and lock it down.