This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Booh yah!

Comments

• edited October 2012
    I've never been a huge fan of power steering. They always seem to be way over boosted. Modern Honda's are the worst offenders, you can spin the wheel around with your pinky. It's no fun for driving feel and (IMO) down right dangerous on a highway. I think good, heavy steering provides required information to the driver. Like don't crank the wheel that far over you spanner, you're going 70 MPH.
    Post edited by George Patches on
  • edited October 2012
    My current van has a reverse camera, huge mirrors, and windows all around. I feel spoiled. My wife is afraid to drive it. I keep telling her that her Honda Fit has less visibility all around than "my" van does.
    Ah, It's a good van, but it's not fuckin' mighty. Very few people have ever seen a vehicle quite like The Mighty Van.

Mostly because compared to pretty much every other van ever, It's loud, overpowered, bouncy, has a sticking throttle(but not too bad, just a high idle) has a weird stance, and it's got this odd little something about it that just makes people like it for some reason. Even I don't know what it is, it just feels like something that takes you on adventures, rather than just trips from A to B.
    I think good, heavy steering provides required information to the driver.
    Oh man, my steering re-defines heavy. For all my praise of the mighty van, it's an absolute bear to steer.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • edited October 2012
    I enjoy my Speed 3's power steering. What sort of steering does it use? All cars should use that.

Also all cars should be small hatchbacks and anyone driving anything that gets less than 25MPG should have to pay an extra "I enjoy fucking the environment." tax. That is what it should be called, too. Full disclosure: I would pay that tax.
    Post edited by SquadronROE on
  • I barely remember driving before power steering. I've driven without it, but I don't think I've ever owned a car without it.

My wife is convinced that anti-lock brakes are dangerous. Hates them with a burning passion.
  • edited October 2012
    I enjoy my Speed 3's power steering. What sort of steering does it use? All cars should use that.

Also all cars should be small hatchbacks and anyone driving anything that gets less than 25MPG should have to pay an extra "I enjoy fucking the environment." tax. That is what it should be called, too. Full disclosure: I would pay that tax.
    Hey man, fuck you. Hatchbacks might be good for just carrying a few people on roads, but what about everything else? Pickup trucks? SUVs? What about full sized sedans?

What about Luxury cars? You saying that Bentley or Rolls Royce should ditch the Continental or the Phantom and make hatchbacks instead? What about Ferrari or Lamborghini or Pagani?

What about the people who just want to drive a big ass car with eight cylinders in front of them, 6 feet of steel behind them, and rear wheel drive, so when some kid pulls up in a "my baby's first" hatchback with a spoiler bolted on the back and more speakers than sense, revving their all 120 horses at the light, they can just poke the throttle with their toe and leave that kid in the dust? What about that guy?

I'm not saying there shouldn't be an emissions tax. There should; not at something low like 25mpg, mind you, but there should be.

But don't you fucking dare say "All cars should be hatchbacks" because when it comes to safety, power, comfort, and practicality, sedans are just better.
    Post edited by Victor Frost on
  • edited October 2012
    While saying so no doubt angers car enthusiasts, I'm not sure we're really in a place anymore to keep on humoring conspicuous ecological disasters like the Lincoln Navigator and the Cadillac Denali. Fuck the people who own that bullshit. I feel guilty enough about my minivan. I drive it with my toe.

Although, to be fair, I think there are one or two ships at sea that rival the emissions from every car on the planet, IIRC.

ETA: http://gas2.org/2009/06/03/one-container-ship-pollutes-as-much-as-50-million-cars/

Close.
    Post edited by muppet on
  • My wife is convinced that anti-lock brakes are dangerous. Hates them with a burning passion.
    Your wife is objectively wrong about this. Or her only experience was with old first gen ABS which really kinda sucked. It was technically better, but didn't feel it. Modern ABS with independent controls for each wheel and electronic brake force distribution is technological magic. It is by far and away my favorite driver aid.
    Mazda just has really great power steering. I test drove a Speed3 and it was great. My miata had great power steering too. They both used hydraulic power steering. My Mazda 2 uses electric assist power steering and it's great, the first electric assist I've liked and wasn't overboosted to the moon.
  • I enjoy my Speed 3's power steering. What sort of steering does it use? All cars should use that.

Hey man, fuck you. Hatchbacks might be good for just carrying a few people on roads, but what about everything else? Pickup trucks? SUVs? What about full sized sedans?

What about Luxury cars? You saying that Bentley or Rolls Royce should ditch the Continental or the Phantom and make hatchbacks instead? What about Ferrari or Lamborghini or Pagani?

What about the people who just want to drive a big ass car with eight cylinders in front of them, 6 feet of steel behind them, and rear wheel drive, so when some kid pulls up in a "my baby's first" hatchback with a spoiler bolted on the back and more speakers than sense, revving their all 120 horses at the light, they can just poke the throttle with their toe and leave that kid in the dust? What about that guy?

I'm not saying there shouldn't be an emissions tax. There should; not at something low like 25mpg, mind you, but there should be.

But don't you fucking dare say "All cars should be hatchbacks" because when it comes to safety, power, comfort, and practicality, sedans are just better.
    You are the easiest to troll. You should get a special pin.
  • edited October 2012
    Preaching to the choir, George, about the brakes.

My Jetta Sportwagen had electric assist power steering. I liked it a lot. When I traded it in for the Routan the salesguy lied to me and told me the Routan had the same steering system. It only took about 2 minutes to know he was full of shit, but it wasn't worth calling him out on.
    Post edited by muppet on
  • edited October 2012
    Although, to be fair, I think there are one or two ships at sea that rival the emissions from every car on the planet, IIRC.
    That sounds like bollocks. Any reputable links - because that site has a pretty clear agenda.
    While saying so no doubt angers car enthusiasts, I'm not sure we're really in a place anymore to keep on humoring conspicuous ecological disasters like the Lincoln Navigator and the Cadillac Denali.
    That's not what Sonic was saying. Sonic was saying not every car should be a hatchback, not that ever car should be like the Navigator or the Denali, or any other big gas guzzler. I mean, one of Sonic's favorite cars is the Tesla Roadster, and that thing's entire purpose is to convert electricity to hooning.
    Mazda just has really great power steering. I test drove a Speed3 and it was great. My miata had great power steering too. They both used hydraulic power steering. My Mazda 2 uses electric assist power steering and it's great, the first electric assist I've liked and wasn't overboosted to the moon.
    It is pretty good. My current least favorite - the power steering on the Hundy I(number) line. It's floaty and disconnected, you can barely feel anything at all.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • I'm not saying there shouldn't be an emissions tax. There should; not at something low like 25mpg, mind you, but there should be.
    How is 25 MPG low, I think that's quite generious. I prefer to just tack on a 50% tax on gasoline, the more you use, the more you pay.
  • edited October 2012
    While saying so no doubt angers car enthusiasts, I'm not sure we're really in a place anymore to keep on humoring conspicuous ecological disasters like the Lincoln Navigator and the Cadillac Denali. Fuck the people who own that bullshit. I feel guilty enough about my minivan. I drive it with my toe.
    I'm not saying emissions shouldn't be worked on, but hatchback form factor is just not one that fits every need or even most needs. You drive a minivan. Why? Probably because you're a dad with little kids, and minivans are perfect for that: safe, lots of seats, lots of storage.
    You are the easiest to troll. You should get a special pin.
    You say that, but I know people who legitimately feel this way. I avoid the subject of cars with them like I avoid religion with rednecks. Cars are my hot button issue.
    How is 25 MPG low, I think that's quite generious. I prefer to just tack on a 50% tax on gasoline, the more you use, the more you pay.
    College kids who can only afford used cars from Craigslist might disagree.
    That's not what Sonic was saying. Sonic was saying not every car should be a hatchback, not that ever car should be like the Navigator or the Denali, or any other big gas guzzler. I mean, one of Sonic's favorite cars is the Tesla Roadster, and that thing's entire purpose is to convert electricity to hooning.
    Hitting the throttle in that car is.... amazing.
    Post edited by Victor Frost on
  • I'm not saying there shouldn't be an emissions tax. There should; not at something low like 25mpg, mind you, but there should be.
    College kids who can only afford used cars from Craigslist might disagree.
    Boo fucking hoo, this hurts everyone equally. We need to massively curb our consumption of automotive fuels. We spend way too much energy driving around.
  • edited October 2012
    I don't know how it is with "you young folks now", but when I was 20, holy shit, I probably filled my tank 4 times a week. I drove all over the place. I took long, exploratory drives for leisure instead of walks. I found all sorts of neat spots in my state, and wooed a girl or two there, but holy shit did I burn a lot of gas. $1.25/gallon when I got my license. Gas wasn't even one of my budget items, it was just lumped under incidentals.

Now my wife and I spend probably $400/month on gas and that is primarily for commuting and grocery shopping. We hardly drive otherwise.
    Post edited by muppet on
  • I used to do a lot of driving for fun, but ever since gas prices went up it has certainly curtailed my driving habits.
  • I don't know how it is with "you young folks now", but when I was 20, holy shit, I probably filled my tank 4 times a week. I drove all over the place. I took long, exploratory drives for leisure instead of walks. I found all sorts of neat spots in my state, and wooed a girl or two there, but holy shit did I burn a lot of gas. $1.25/gallon when I got my license. Gas wasn't even one of my budget items, it was just lumped under incidentals.

Now my wife and I spend probably $400/month on gas and that is primarily for commuting and grocery shopping. We hardly drive otherwise.
    I'm paying the equivalent of about 5.60-5.80 a gallon, and I still drive around with no particular place to go, along with deliveries, ferrying things around, the odd trip up the island(about an hour and a half drive, or thereabouts), drive up the mountain for no reason other than shits and giggles, stuff like that. Driving is just fun, no matter how much I do it.

I miss having a motorbike, though. A hundred pounds worth of fuel would last me a few months.

• Not to jump on you specifically Muppet, but you are a perfect example of the problem with the average American's driving habits. As a country we live way too far from where we work and have poor mass transit options.
  • Not to jump on you specifically Muppet, but you are a perfect example of the problem with the average American's driving habits. As a country we live way too far from where we work and have poor mass transit options.
    I would love to move. My wife is not amenable. So, I commute. There really isn't another option in my state unless I finally become successfully self-employed. I have lots of irons in the fire, but I suck at focus and execution, so it goes.
  • Shit, I buy gas once every two weeks for $40, and I live where I have to drive to get anywhere.
  • edited October 2012
    Part of the problem also has to be with where certain industries, jobs, etc., are located. Many industrial jobs (as well as the support for them, whether IT, management, etc.) for example, are located quite a ways away from cities these days due to the cost of land. Even many non-industrial jobs are often located a ways away from cities again due to real estate costs. Plus, things are just very spread out in general and the cost of moving, both in time and actual monetary cost, is often impractical if you change jobs without moving to an entirely different part of the country. For example, if I had a job that's a 5 minute bike ride from my house, that would be great. However, if I end up changing jobs to one that's a 30 minute drive from my house, I'm not going to move because it's just not worth it.
    Post edited by Dragonmaster Lou on
  • Shit, I buy gas once every two weeks for $40, and I live where I have to drive to get anywhere.
    Part of the problem in my case is my wife's refusal to drive the minivan, leaving me to use it as a commuter vehicle, too. It's not ideal. I'd possibly sell it if we weren't upside down on the loan, but it's still practical for the use case it was purchased for.
  • Gas was around $0.85/gallon when I was in high school. I took frequent road trips to nowhere in my Laser. ;^)
  • edited October 2012
    Are you older or just wester than me? ;-)
    Post edited by muppet on
  • Are you older or just wester than me? ;-)
    Michigander.

I would love to move. My wife is not amenable. So, I commute. There really isn't another option in my state unless I finally become successfully self-employed. I have lots of irons in the fire, but I suck at focus and execution, so it goes.
    Yeah, this isn't really something that is in most people's control. It's a symptom of how our entire society's infrastructure developed.

• Cafeteria had pepperoni-sausage-bacon-ham pizza today. That's enough boo-yeah to get me by.
  • Can't stick around long but I've made the trip to LA!
  • Found out that my upcoming child is going to be a boy.
  • Found out that my upcoming child is going to be a boy.
    Huzzah!

I got stuck with two girls. Now all I can do is find them rich husbands. :-/