This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Booh yah!

Comments

• Yeah when I joined they didn't ask a thing about me, it just said "if you make X you pay Y amount every paycheck", so I'm assuming people with pre-existing conditions are getting a great insurance deal here.
    At Cigna I used to pay $80/month for me and my daughter to be fully insured. We had no copays for hospital stays and a $10 for doctor visits. Prescriptions, all prescriptions, were $5.

There were no other copays or deductibles.

Of course, this was in 1999.
  • Yeah my employer had a selection of plans. I picked a high deductible health plan and got vision and dental plans. Those two I expect to use.
  • edited November 2012
    All this health insurance talk reminds me I need to go to the Open Season Health Benefits fair. I'm thinking about changing both my dental and medical, even though I'm so used to having them.

Might even enroll in the FSA again.
    Post edited by Rochelle on
  • FSA is no longer optional for me. I need it to cover the high deductibles on the new plans.
  • How wild and crazy you are, Ro.
  • I just realized all the major plans have all their brochures up and ready for me to see the changes in cost.

My main concern is will my birth control get cheaper or free? I know that with Obamacare, next year I believe my yearly pap smear and birth control should be free, but I'll have to research to check it out.

Currently I pay $56.25 bi-weekly for my health insurance and $22.25 for dental. My premiums are going up to $59.07 for medical. I haven't checked dental yet. Overall, I can afford it, but the fact that we haven't gotten an increase in pay since 2009 doesn't help either.

I'm at least lucky I have I believe at least 5 different insurance companies to choose from.
  • It's arbitrary, although I think the ACA might specifically target birth control. My wife's used to be free, then suddenly became $60/month. She stopped taking it. Ditto my asthma inhalers, from free to $40/month. Apparently visiting the ER is more economical in my insurer's eyes.
  • It may actually be $66/month my plan, which is still pretty good.
  • It may actually be $66/month my plan, which is still pretty good.
    The monthly cost is not the only metric of whether it's good. It's not the primary metric either.
  • Well good as in "cheap" which is what I care about right now.
  • edited November 2012
    You, and a large portion of America. When you do start caring about what it covers, it'll likely be too late and you'll be having your wages garnished to pay medical bills.

I hope that never happens.
    Post edited by SquadronROE on
  • You, and a large portion of America. When you do start caring about what it covers, it'll likely be too late and you'll be having your wages garnished to pay medical bills.
  • edited November 2012
    Currently my prescription coverage company (Caremark), does not have the 2013 benefits up yet. I'll have to check back on the 12th when open season starts. Bah. I want to know now!

At least it's good to know that my yearly invasion of my vajayjay visit is free.

Edit: Upon further research, I'm definitely changing from GEHA dental to Metlife. The difference in benefits vs. cost is outstanding.
  • Ah, unionization. My medical care (Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield) is $46 per pay period base. I sell vacation days (of which I have many) to offset $1000 of that every year. I pay $10 a month for comprehensive medical insurance.

Everyone should have this.
  • edited November 2012
    I have 6 weeks' vacation and I can't afford to sell even a day of it back. I end up using almost all of it for medical issues for my oldest and then myself.

My outlay is far more than $10/month. :)
    Post edited by muppet on
  • That's pretty nice, but don't you already accrue a lot of vacation time already? It will a few more years until I earn an extra 2 hours of annual leave per pay period.
  • Pete has a ludicrous amount of time off.
  • That's pretty nice, but don't you already accrue a lot of vacation time already? It will a few more years until I earn an extra 2 hours of annual leave per pay period.
    Yeah, I accrue tons of time. 1.5 vacation days per month, 5 personal days per year, and 12 - 14 calendar holidays. I sell 4 days of vacation to get that $1000. Right now, I have 35 days in my vacation bank.

It's a pretty sweet gig.

Now I have to learn how to take days off.

• So wait, you guys tell me the AHCA will make insurance cheaper (somehow) and yet when I tell you I got a plan for $700-some odd a year you tell me "No! You need Big Honkin' Plan that covers everything and costs $2000 a year because you might get a rare ass cancer that's only ever had one case and die!"
  • My attitude is more like... its a shame you have to pay so much to get a "good" plan these days. Sure there is affordable insurance out there, but if it doesn't cover what you need, then its like there's no point in having it.
  • So wait, you guys tell me the AHCA will make insurance cheaper (somehow) and yet when I tell you I got a plan for $700-some odd a year you tell me "No! You need Big Honkin' Plan that covers everything and costs $2000 a year because you might get a rare ass cancer that's only ever had one case and die!"
    Dude, you gotta watch out for that ass cancer. It'll give you a terminal case of butthurt.

• Not every provision of the ACA has kicked in yet. State exchanges, for example.

A $33/month policy can't possibly cover much. Not even ACA is going to make comprehensive coverage that cheap. You have a very sheltered idea of what healthcare actually costs right now.
    No, we're just hoping that you don't get to see the down side to having a cheap plan. I'm making the same gamble myself, actually. You're not worried about getting cancer and dying.

Also, the ACA makes healthcare cheaper because everyone will have to pay into it, which means that the insurance companies will make the same amount of money without having to constantly raise premiums as society ages. It's simple, really.
  • I said it was $66 a month ($33 per pay period) and it covers what I need.
  • I said it was $66 a month ($33 per pay period) and it covers what I need.
    Good! Glad to hear it. I hope you never end up needing something you haven't anticipated.
  • Oh I plan to live forever so I'm set I think :)
  • edited November 2012
    I would also speculate that a lot of insurances are waiting to see how the election pans out before they will show more of the changes in costs. Even with Romney's claims of him saying he's going to repeal AHCA on his first day in office, if he wins, it won't be easy to take everything away.

Also, unless you have a decent savings, I normally recommend to young people to get a no-deductible plan. If not, you're going to be responsible for your first few medical exams before that deductible is met.
  • Oh I plan to live forever so I'm set I think :)
    Dying would be cheaper than, say, having to stay in the hospital for a few days.
  • I would also speculate that a lot of insurances are waiting to see how the election pans out before they will show more of the changes in costs. Even with Romney's claims of him saying he's going to repeal AHCA on his first day in office, if he wins, it won't be easy to take everything away.
    I don't think Romney wants to repeal AHCA. I think he is in favor of it. I think he's just saying that to get elected and then will do a couple of ineffective, theatrical moves once in office and say he "tried" to repeal it.

• But didn't he state that's what he plans to do? I feel that what you said is the more than likely what would happen if he gets elected, but he has made statements the he would repeal it.