This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Booh yah!

Comments

• Check the Fail of the Day thread.
    I know - I was entirely referring to the good usage.
  • edited June 2010
    Check the Fail of the Day thread.
    I know - I was entirely referring to the good usage.
    Gotcha. My rebound booh yah is that I mixed a killer white Russian tonight. Yay, mildly irresponsible coping mechanisms!

EDIT: Made with heavy whipping cream. Ho shit.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • Our director MADE a specific camper shower last night, and said that if anyone comes to our meeting spot before breakfast this morning smelling bad, he's going to send them back to shower. I swear, if this kid puts the same clothes on or doesn't wear deodorant...
  • School year's over, I'm getting a glowing review from my direct superior at the school, and everyone loves the yearbooks.
    I has a proud.
  • School year's over, I'm getting a glowing review from my direct superior at the school, and everyone loves the yearbooks.
    I has a proud.
    ^_^
  • Our director MADE a specific camper shower last night, and said that if anyone comes to our meeting spot before breakfast this morning smelling bad, he's going to send them back to shower. I swear, if this kid puts the same clothes on or doesn't wear deodorant...
    I wish my boss would do that to one of my coworkers, but I think he's too nice to say anything. The first day I met said stinky coworker, I just thought he was having a bad smelly day. But every day I can smell him across the room at my desk. Sigh.
  • I wish my boss would do that to one of my coworkers, but I think he's too nice to say anything. The first day I met said stinky coworker, I just thought he was having a bad smelly day. But every day I can smell him across the room at my desk. Sigh.
    Have you discussed this with your boss?
  • I wish my boss would do that to one of my coworkers, but I think he's too nice to say anything. The first day I met said stinky coworker, I just thought he was having a bad smelly day. But every day I can smell him across the room at my desk. Sigh.
    This is a topic that comes up frequently in HR, oddly enough. It is a work environment issue and there are many methods of dealing with it. You should talk to your HR person/department. If there is no HR presence, your office manager would be the go-to person.
    He may think he is being nice by not dealing with thr problem, but he is actually being inconsiderate of all of the empoyees that have to put up with the stench.
    My boss comes in smelling like he was just marked by a cat. This is because he probiably was marked by a cat. He's a crazy cat guy and lives in a small apartment with 16+ cats. Some of which are pregnant because he refuses to get any of them fixed. He'll wear the same cloths for an entire week. We've made him wash his cloths with the lab coats before...

I could go on, but I won't. The only way to fix this problem is to have been proactive and not let it get that bad. This guy will never change. Talk with HR and by a mini desk fan.

I've also run into the WAY TOO MUCH BODY SPRAY problem at work. It's not the "high school boy going though a can of Axe after gym class" problem. It's this one woman who smells like a damn hippy. (She wears way too much patchouli oil. Yes that's why hippies stink. It cover up the smell of weed.) She's clean and well groomed otherwise, but her choice in deodorant lingers for a good 15 minutes after she leaves the room. Luckily I don't work with her.
    This is a topic that comes up frequently in HR, oddly enough. It is a work environment issue and there are many methods of dealing with it. You should talk to your HR person/department. If there is no HR presence, your office manager would be the go-to person.
    He may think he is being nice by not dealing with thr problem, but he is actually being inconsiderate of all of the empoyees that have to put up with the stench.
    We don't have an HR department. My "branch" is in a small office with only about 5 people coming in at a time (so it is a very personal environment I guess). I am way too embarrassed to say anything because I will feel like a terrible person. I already turned down giving this guy a ride to work everyday (he's one of our college student interns with no car), and I felt awful about that. At least he will be gone at the end of summer, and I won't have to worry about it anymore. He is also a major CS nerd, which would probably explain the smell. I am used to smelly CS nerds from my classes, but I only had to deal with them for a couple hours at a time.
  • I am way too embarrassed to say anything because I will feel like a terrible person.
    No, addressing the problem makes you a good person. Ignoring it only makes the problem worse and makes it harder to address in the future.
    I already turned down giving this guy a ride to work everyday (he's one of our college student interns with no car), and I felt awful about that.
    Imagine how often this happens to him. If there isn't an intervention soon, he'll be screwed in the long run.
  • Rym is right. Not saying something is worse than saying something in a polite way. Respect the guy enough to treat him as an adult, not a child. It isn't a comfortable conversation, but it will help him in the long run as well get rid of the stench.
  • @ Lyddi:
    I think everyone at one time or another has worked with someone who didn't shower/bathe/use deodorant as often as they should, and as Kate and Rym said it does no one any good to let the "stinky kid" reek up the place. When I ran into that problem with a co-worker I was working at a small company, much like you are. Everyone in the place agreed that the dude had a serious B.O. problem. The management had been told about it several times and had done nothing, so eventually the five of us that had to work in close proximity to the dude that reeked conducted what amounted to an intervention. We straight-up told him that while we valued his work, we couldn't handle the B.O. in the close quarters where we worked and that he really needed to start taking showers on a daily basis. He got pissed off and indignant, but damned if he didn't shower before coming in to work the next day.

The guy at your place sounds similar to ours - in college and not really expecting it to be a full-time job. But being a college student isn't any excuse for bad personal hygiene. If he's going to be out in the "real world" trying to get a job or working an internship, he really needs to get a reality check when it comes to the need for proper grooming, CS nerd or not.
  • Remember when I posted in the Fail thread saying that my mentor had cancer, well I just got the news that her cancer is in complete and total remission. I'm crying out of joy as I type this.
  • Just got back from a private tour of the USS Abraham Lincoln. Amazing time.
  • Went to gaming night at Uncle's Gaming at Southcenter Mall. Jeremy and I got introduced to so many new games: Quoridor, The Magic Labyrinth, Quarto, Dweebies, and Dixit. They were all very fun games, but out of all of them Dixit was great. From all the good praise I've heard about this game, I can only agree. I didn't think I would do well at first because I thought my imagination was ok, but once you get going it's really not that bad. What makes it ever more fun is the choices that you have from the cards the other players submit. You wouldn't think they cards could possibly relate to the "theme/sentence/subject" the judge gives, but the cards actually do.

I'm going to play this game every chance I get, and will get the expansion as soon as possible. Ahh, I love board gaming, and I'm looking forward to hosting a game night next Saturday for more Dixit action.
  • About an hour ago, I remembered that baked potatoes are delicious, easy to make, and I have potatoes in my cupboard.
  • Cooking Win: I had a pound of ground beef to use up but wasn't sure what to do with it. Found Italian seasoned breadcrumbs and French Onion soup mix in the cabinet. Seasoned Onionburgers FTW!
  • I got a lot of money from my graduation party. I feel really awkward because of how much I got, but I'm glad that it will take care of my first few months of college expenses, probably. At least the first 2-3 months, anyways. I'll almost definitely be getting a job, though...
  • I got a lot of money from my graduation party. I feel really awkward because of how much I got, but I'm glad that it will take care of my first few months of college expenses, probably. At least the first 2-3 months, anyways. I'll almost definitely be getting a job, though...
    Very fortunate of you.
    Very fortunate of you.
    Next time your parents take yours from you, threaten to sue.
  • edited June 2010
    Next time your parents take yours from you, threaten to sue.
    Los Angeles district Civil claims court, 2:30 PM
    "I assert that I loaned my parents money, and I am suing them for the return of it"
    "Are you fuckin' high? Get outta my courtroom, this ain't no Judge fuckin' Judy. Five hundred dollar fine for wasting court time."

I would take the following under advisement - You know nothing about the situation, and your advice is both poor and unasked for. Keep it to yourself.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • edited June 2010
    What the fuck are you two on about? I was just congratulating Axel on his good fortune. Honestly, sometimes a cake is just a cake.
    Post edited by Victor Frost on
  • edited June 2010
    What the fuck are you two on about? I was just congratulating Axel on his good fortune. Honestly, sometimes a cake is just a cake.
    Telling Geo to STFU somewhat gently, because he was talking irrelevant shit?
    Post edited by Churba on
  • What the fuck are you two on about? I was just congratulating Axel on his good fortune. Honestly, sometimes a cake is just a cake.
    And I appreciated your congratulations. Thank you.
  • Yes got twitter to work while I am here visiting family in China, next up the youtubes then I am all set.
  • Returning to booh yahs, had an awesome day with my friends at Horseneck beach. Games were not played, but books were read, fun was had, and food was eaten.
  • Two girls I know walked away from totaling their car by flipping over twice with only minor cuts and bruises.

Sexy new glasses should be arriving soon.

Two more days of work then a four day weekend for the 4th.

Two days of work next week then another four day weekend for CTcon. ^_^
  • Two girls I know walked away from totaling their car by flipping over twice with only minor cuts and bruises.
    Seatbelts FTW!!!
  • Hey FRCF, who has two thumbs and three interviews today? This guy! (well, if I can get them to agree on a time for the third one. Still, having at least as many interviews as thumbs is an achievement).