This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Otakon 2010

Comments

• edited July 2010
    The same exact people will behave differently in different environments. You need to change the environment to get the behavior you want. Getting different people won't make much difference.
    And what creates the different environment? Different people.
    The point is that you can take metal people, put them in a different scenario, and they'll hate each other and make trouble, and be stupid.
    Not nearly as much as other geeks. Metal geeks have a hell of a lot more respect for one another than any other type of geek. Fights happen, but they stop very quickly.

This point came up in the metal panel. People have been crushed to death by rushing crowds at Smashing Pumpkins shows. If you fall in a mosh pit, you get picked the fuck up. Nobody dies at metal shows, even ones that are larger than other shows.

Why are metal geeks different?
    Post edited by TheWhaleShark on
  • edited July 2010
    I FREAKING KNEW THIS WAS GOING TO GO BACK TO WHY METAL IS AWESOME... I win 10 dollars from someone.
    Post edited by Cremlian on
  • edited July 2010
    I FREAKING KNEW THIS WAS GOING TO GO BACK TO WHY METAL IS AWESOME... I win 10 dollars from someone.
    Well duh. Metal is besto.
  • edited July 2010
    Not nearly as much as other geeks. Metal geeks have a hell of a lot more respect for one another than any other type of geek. Fights happen, but they stop very quickly.

This point came up in the metal panel. People have been crushed to death by rushing crowds at Smashing Pumpkins shows. If you fall in a mosh pit, you get picked the fuck up. Nobody dies at metal shows, even ones that are larger than other shows.

Why are metal geeks different?
    I can explain this by explaining something else I've noticed. You might find people around you rude when you walk around (I don't but I always hear people complain). However I have never met a rude or unhelpful hiker and the father you travel away from the beaten path the nicer and more helpful they get. It's because if you break you're leg on that mountain or out in the snow, you freaking need someone to help you out and it might be that dude who you just flipped off. Metal concerts are the same. Everyone knows they want to get a bit physical but they also know they don't want to get really hurt.. So they all act a bit more "civilized" because overall it helps them survive better (Natural selection at work) Assholes at Metal concerts and on mountains are more likely to suffer..an ill fate.
  • And what creates the different environment? Different people.
    There's nothing special about the people. The shows shape the people. They behave that way because they have been shaped by this show, and perhaps other shows they have been to.

Your assumption is that the behavior originates in the person themselves. You're forgetting there is no free will. Right? The people don't behave that way because of anything about them. It's because they've been conditioned by the environment.

Look at something as simple as "the horns." Why do people throw them up? Because once some guy on stage threw them up. Then people threw it back. Then people copied each other. It's no different than the "free hugs" sign. The people behave in a way dictated by the environment. You can spread a meme of "the horns" or "free hugs", and just the same you can spread a meme of "behave like a normal person" or "behave like an idiot."

That's exactly what PAX does. When you look at the way the people running the convention act, the way the enforcers act, the way events are conducted professionally, and everything else. It's all spreading the good behavior meme. Look at the back of your PAX badge, now look at the weapons policy on the Otakon web site. One of these is spreading the good behavior meme. One of them is spreading the "behave like a child" meme. It doesn't matter what attendees show up. The convention controls them.
  • edited July 2010
    God controls them.
    I can explain this by explaining something else I've noticed. You might find people around you rude when you walk around (I don't but I always hear people complain). However I have never met a rude or unhelpful hiker and the father you travel away from the beaten path the nicer and more helpful they get. It's because if you break you're leg on that mountain or out in the snow, you freaking need someone to help you out and it might be that dude who you just flipped off. Metal concerts are the same. Everyone knows they want to get a bit physical but they also know they don't want to get really hurt.. So they all act a bit more "civilized" because overall it helps them survive better (Natural selection at work) Assholes at Metal concerts and on mountains are more likely to suffer..an ill fate.
    Ah, hiking. That's a good one. I also notice that you encounter more assholes on the easy trails. Note the continuing theme of higher degree of difficulty = lesser tendency of assholish behavior. Metal heads actively pursue challenging stuff; in fact, the whole genre is centered around being hard to enjoy. So when you run into someone who has made it past the initial hurdles, you'll know that they're cool.

Hiking is really similar. When someone has taken up the challenge of climbing a bunch of high peaks, they know it's tough, and they know that you need help sometimes. People on the easy trails think they can be totally self-reliant, so you see more assholes who don't like to help people out.
  • edited July 2010
    Hiking is really similar. When someone has taken up the challenge of climbing a bunch of high peaks, they know it's tough, and they know that you need help sometimes. People on the easy trails think they can be totally self-reliant, so you see more assholes who don't like to help people out.
    Just a note, that kid holding the Hug me sign, will probably help you out. Just because they want to squeel about some cute anime doesn't mean they are not going to help you out. Anime fans are some of the nicest people.

It's not difficultly, because there are area's where the more difficulty brings elitism and assholery, it's the danger aspect.
  • It's not difficultly, because there are area's where the more difficulty brings elitism and assholery, it's the danger aspect.
    Well, metal (mostly) gets around elitism and assholery by necessitating a focus on self-parody. Not genre parody, mind you; I mean making a mockery of oneself.
    Just a note, that kid holding the Hug me sign, will probably help you out.
    Sure, but the tendency to find helpful people increases as the barrier to entry or challenge of the activity increases, in my experience anyhow.
  • How are metal geeks any different than knitting geeks? I fail to see how metal is any more special than any other geekdom that you have to work on to become absorbed in.
  • How are metal geeks any different than knitting geeks? I fail to see how metal is any more special than any other geekdom that you have to work on to become absorbed in.
    Because if Pete is a part of it it has to be full of pain and anger :-p
    Because if Pete is a part of it it has to be full of pain and anger :-p
    Knitting is full of pain and anger. Have you been listening about my injuries, man?
  • Knittingisfull of pain and anger
  • Knittingisfull of pain and anger. Have you been listening about my injuries, man?
  • I love the Wal-Mart moon walk.
  • edited July 2010
    How are metal geeks any different than knitting geeks? I fail to see how metal is any more special than any other geekdom that you have to work on to become absorbed in.
    Necessary self-parody. That's really the defining characteristic of metal.
    But otherwise, knitting is pretty fucking metal.
  • Wow, why is this stuff still here?

I'm hoping that around this time or later, the FRCers who went to Otakon 2010 can post about things they did or cool panels/purchases.
  • Wow, why is this stuff still here?

I'm hoping that around this time or later, the FRCers who went to Otakon 2010 can post about things they did or cool panels/purchases.
    Don't you have like...a con to attend? The real question is why are you still here?
  • Guys! Don't you realize? We're stuck in an infinite argument trap! We can't look up the answer to this problem on Wikipedia and learn that we were all wrong about berries!
  • edited July 2010
    Guys! Don't you realize? We're stuck in an infinite argument trap! We can't look up the answer to this problem on Wikipedia and learn that we were all wrong about berries!
    Post edited by loltsundere on
  • Guys! Don't you realize? We're stuck in an infinite argument trap! We can't look up the answer to this problem on Wikipedia and learn that we were all wrong about berries!
    And then still be wrong due to incomplete research. :P
  • Just to switch it back to the actual con for a few seconds, they really upped the game in the Game Room this year. It was where one of the theaters was last year near the Charles Street entrance, and it's a huge, airy room full of awesome games, and tables to play table-top games. I managed to round up two strangers to play Catan with me and my friends, and we had an awesome time. It's definitely high tier anime con gaming room. Maybe even God Tier.
  • edited July 2010
    Wow, why is this stuff still here?

Geez, you are, like, the whiniest guy ever! In case you haven't noticed, this forum has tangential conversations all the time. Stop your grousing, fanboy. We can talk about what we want, as long as it is a good conversation. You don't like it, get your own forum.
    Post edited by gomidog on
  • Apparently, next year's dates will be July 28-31. Which means it would be a four day con...
  • Also, I have a huge rant about panels this year, but I'm going to save it for after the con. Needless to say, we were late for our own panel after showing up to the convention center at 8:40.
  • edited July 2010
    Apparently, next year's dates will be July 28-31. Which means it would be a four day con...
    IS THIS FOR REAL? Will this mean mailing badges, or will it mean Wednesday night badge pickup? Also, how will this work with the fact that they don't sell day passes, and they only sell all weekend passes? The price of the badge will have to go up for sure. Also, lots of people won't be able to go Thursday. Will they get a full weekend pass anyway, or will they just not go? Or maybe they'll sell day passes again.

If they do still have badge lines, I suspect they will actually be shorter. The Wednesday night line will be for hardcore people. The Thursday lines will be more chill because many people can't come until Friday. And so on. Same size line spread out over one more day makes it easier each day.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • I heard this via one of my friends who has been working in the Dealer's Room this year. For now, I'd take it with a grain of salt, until Otakon does their official announcement of next year's dates at the end of the Feedback Panel.

While, if true, it would definitely be a bold move, especially if they have to sell weekend only memberships. I seem to recall hearing via the ACML that this was a Maryland State Non-Profit rule, hence their inflexibility on that. I did hear that the lines were not bad (at least on Thursday) from several other of my convention contacts, thanks in part to the barcode effort.
  • edited July 2010
    Sounds like they're going to have to start selling 1-day and 2-day passes, like AX.

Man, this is exciting. I'm going to be going to two 4-day anime conventions next year within the same month.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • The hotel block is probably four days, not the con.
  • Also, I have a huge rant about panels this year, but I'm going to save it for after the con. Needless to say, we were late for our own panel after showing up to the convention center at 8:40.
    Late for your own panel because they wouldn't open the doors or let panelists in early I'm assuming? This was discussed among the staff, and the consensus was "there's plenty of time to get people in, and we can let them skip the line if they have a panel." They wouldn't make it an official policy, though, so I'm not surprised that you encountered fail.
    It's the magnetism. ;P