This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Otakon 2010

Comments

• Back on the OMG-b00bz thing for just a second -- didn't I read that it was a monster boob? Shouldn't that fall under the same category as, for instance, the topless native African women we've all seen documentaries and National Geographic, and that even with my crazy fundamentalist upbringing I was allowed to see when I was a kid? Because it's not sexualized. But then again, this is anime, so I probably shouldn't assume that giant monster-woman boobs aren't sexualized.
  • Overall great convention, and I'm not looking forward to adding this to the circuit of yearly cons I attend.
    Wait, what? If it was a good convention, why wouldn't you want to add it to your circuit?
    Also, I feel the need to point out that we're only having this discussion because half the con wanted to see this panel. If one of the less popular panels had done this exact thing I doubt we'd have even heard about it.
    So? That's a pointless statement to make. What effect does that have on the discussion? That's like saying "People only talked about Micheal Jackson because he was popular". Technically correct, but it doesn't have a place in the conversation unless the conversation is about why people are talking about whatever.
  • Overall great convention, and I'm not looking forward to adding this to the circuit of yearly cons I attend.
    Wait, what? If it was a good convention, why wouldn't you want to add it to your circuit?
    I dunno why I typed it out that way, what I meant to say was I am definitely looking forward to adding it to the list of cons I attend. Dunno why that not slipped in there.
  • Dunno why that not slipped in there.
    Typo for 'now' perhaps?
  • Quite possibly.
  • Woo, got all of my Otakon photos captioned, titled and put up on Flickr! If you want to see every photo I took on my trip, complete with boring rocks/trees/water/buildings/signs/flags, the link to the mega-set is here. Otherwise, the strictly Otakon-related photos are here. Will probably be putting up a full text recap sometime within the next few days.
  • Man, I really want to go to Otakon now. Damn all you east coasters.
  • edited July 2009
    Man, I really want to go to Otakoninsert U.S. con name here now. Damn all you east coastersAmericans.
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • edited July 2009
    All of my photos are on Facebook because I'm too lame cool to use Flickr.
    Facebook Photo Album
    Post edited by Axel on
  • I guess I'll share my Otakon photos too, though there's only a few of them.

I didn't even make it in to that "Craziest Deaths" panel; I was one of the people who had the door closed on them - but all that hype plus the following crash and burn makes me hope that they'll do it again (and more functionally) next year. I'd have liked to have seen even the little bit that was shown.

Was the 50-foot naked woman from Paprika, by any chance?
  • Was the 50-foot naked woman from Paprika, by any chance?
    Nay, Apocalypse Zero.
  • GeoGeo
    edited July 2009
    blah
    Post edited by Geo on
    BEST. PHOTO. EVAR!
  • edited July 2009
    Go TEAM RANDOM!
    SECOND ROW CREW!
    AND ANY OTHER NAME WE CAN COME UP WITH!
    Post edited by Axel on
  • GeoGeo
    edited July 2009
    BEST. PHOTO. EVAR!
    I love it!!!!! I will be updating this to make it more epic!
    Post edited by Geo on
  • Here is the updated photo.......done in paint......I really need photoshop :(

You made me the secretive leader? Epic. Although I would've rather been the Green Ranger, but still good choices nonetheless. Despite Paint being crappy, nicely done.
  • edited July 2009
    Here is the updated photo.......done in paint......I really need photoshop :(
    Gimp is free, and while it's no Photoshop, it's a damn sight better than Paint. It should easily do everything you need. If you're already used to Photoshop's layout, try Gimpshop.
    Post edited by Funfetus on
  • Man, I need to lose weight.

And I'm kinda disappointed that my other hand got cut off. That was the hand that made it funny.
  • Man, I need to lose weight.

And I'm kinda disappointed that my other hand got cut off. That was the hand that made it funny.
    But your girth makes you the strongest one, hence why I used the Green Bull Ranger.

You made me the secretive leader? Epic. Although I would've rather been the Green Ranger, but still good choices nonetheless. Despite Paint being crappy, nicely done.
    Actually no, you're the one who won't dress in a normal uniform and no matter how much the team tries to get you to change, you won't. Lol.
  • edited July 2009
    Here is the updated photo.......done in paint......I really need photoshop :(

Actually no, you're the one who won't dress in a normal uniform and no matter how much the team tries to get you to change, you won't. Lol.
    Well played, Yupa...
    Edit: Also, awesome mecha that I got drawn for me in the artist's alley. It's supposed to be, as my oh so descriptive commission stated, "A green wolf Ganmen." Ganmen are, of course, the mecha from Gurren Lagann.
    Post edited by Axel on
  • Ro, if you go to Otakon and try to get a table in the AA, all I can say is good luck. Personally, I am incredibly displeased with the way they handled things this year and will not be going back next year. I know many of my artist friends are similarly pissed off. That's saying a LOT, since Otakon is the single most lucrative show that I vend at. It simply isn't worth dealing with anymore. It has gotten worse and worse every year, and this year was the last straw for me. Many things happened as a result of negligence that did not need to happen. No more.

I have run an Artist Alley at a con before. It's simply not that hard. I don't run it anymore because my life moved on, and I handed the job to someone who had the time. If you don't have the time or you have personal things come up, then you delegate to other people or hand over the entire thing. Otakon seems to have trouble adapting to new situations or suggestions, and that is a problem.
  • edited July 2009
    Ro, if you go to Otakon and try to get a table in the AA, all I can say is good luck. Personally, I am incredibly displeased with the way they handled things this year and will not be going back next year. I know many of my artist friends are similarly pissed off. That's saying a LOT, since Otakon is the single most lucrative show that I vend at. It simply isn't worth dealing with anymore. It has gotten worse and worse every year, and this year was the last straw for me. Many things happened as a result of negligence that did not need to happen. No more.

I have run an Artist Alley at a con before. It's simply not that hard. I don't run it anymore because my life moved on, and I handed the job to someone who had the time. If you don't have the time or you have personal things come up, then you delegate to other people or hand over the entire thing. Otakon seems to have trouble adapting to new situations or suggestions, and that is a problem.
    Care to say more? I tried and failed to get in this year so I was going to try next year. Have you tried complaining through email, in person, BBS, etc.
    Post edited by Viga on
  • Ro, if you go to Otakon and try to get a table in the AA, all I can say is good luck. Personally, I am incredibly displeased with the way they handled things this year and will not be going back next year. I know many of my artist friends are similarly pissed off. That's saying a LOT, since Otakon is the single most lucrative show that I vend at. It simply isn't worth dealing with anymore. It has gotten worse and worse every year, and this year was the last straw for me. Many things happened as a result of negligence that did not need to happen. No more.

Care to say more? I tried and failed to get in this year so I was going to try next year. Have you tried complaining through email, in person, BBS, etc.
    How about revenge in an envelope?
  • edited July 2009
    I can give a detailed and methodical account of all the things that went wrong this year, but I need more time to type it up thoroughly enough to not simply sound like an angry rant. I will happily provide a link to it when I get it all into words. The problem with complaining is that Otakon doesn't care. The Alley fills up every year, and they don't seem to really care who they piss off because if one artist leaves, another will replace them. Otakon still gets their money. This year was especially bad because of special circumstances, but I will get to that in my full account.

I should mention that despite the con constantly screwing things up, I did quite well and would have made a decent profit if I'd not forgotten to cancel my hotel reservations and had to drop $800 on hotel + parking. I was also exhausted the entire weekend and did very little else besides the AA. Oh well, at least I can write it off.

I'm actually thinking of doing another episode of the podcast about Artist Alleys...this time talking about it from the side of running it, instead of the attending side. We did a 3-part series on preparing for and selling in the Artist Alley at a con, but never talked about running it. Of course, that would require actually recording and releasing another episode, and we've already got 3 recorded that need to be put out. -__-
    Post edited by Nuri on
    Thanks for the heads up. I'm very sorry to hear bad things happen. It's a bit discouraging, but we'll see how things go. If I budget my time, I might be able to have enough product to run an Artists Alley table at Sakura Con.

If I only had more time to cross-stitch, I would do a test run at a new start-up anime convention that is in November in Washington.

I also like Scott's idea for changing up Artists Alley. You should try mentioning that, if you haven't already.
  • One of the photographers who did a photo shoot with me just e-mailed me some of the pics. Here are a couple of my Otakon cosplay. :)

• Wait wait wait...
    You were that Chii? My friends and I totally talked to you while you were reading that book under that tree.

I'll never get how Chii cosplayers manage to walk around...