This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Games you really wanted to be good

edited March 2009 in Video Games
In this thread, we talk about games you really wanted to be good but they were let down by some kind of fundamental problem.

Project Nomads
I've just been playing the first few levels of Project Nomads, which is a game that comes painfully close to being genuinely good but screws up many of the basic things. On paper, and in game, it is a great idea: Steampunk, floating islands, jetpacks, putting turrets and buildings on your floating island, then adding combat make it look and function great. Unfortunately, like a lot of low budget games, the controls completely let it down.

Moving your character is clunky, you have to go through a menu whenever you want to use/repair/deconstruct a building which is made worse by having to move over to a building whenever you want to repair it. Add to this, being unable to change your keyboard settings, and an already bad key layout and the game quickly becomes too frustrating to be enjoyable.

I forgot to add: Where I currently have the game saved, I am standing under a tree. This would not be a problem, apart from the fact that I can only turn and run on the spot.

Comments

• edited March 2009
    Multiwinia and Dwarf Fortress.

Thread over.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • Is that Adams guy ever going to get serious about that project? He needs to either open source or get a proper team together.
  • I was really disappointed by Metroid Prime: Hunters. It was hyped up to be an awesome multiplayer shooter, with an simgle player mode that was just like the other Primes but more action oriented. The final game was mediocre at best. The weapons sucked, and all of the main boss fights were exactly the same. I would go far as to say that the demo might actually be better than the final game is.
  • edited March 2009
    Dwarf Fortress.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • I was really disappointed by Metroid Prime: Hunters. It was hyped up to be an awesome multiplayer shooter, with an simgle player mode that was just like the other Primes but more action oriented. The final game was mediocre at best. The weapons sucked, and all of the main boss fights were exactly the same. I would go far as to say that the demo might actually be better than the final game is.
    I think the saddest part about it is that they haven't released any more Metroid on the DS. I really think that the failure of Hunters is going to keep us from getting more portable 2D Metroid. Zero Mission and Fusion were great. More like that, please.
    I think the saddest part about it is that they haven't released any more Metroid on the DS. I really think that the failure of Hunters is going to keep us from getting more portable 2D Metroid. Zero Mission and Fusion were great. More like that, please.
    What ever happened to that 2.5D metroid that was supposed to come out? 2D Metroid is the best kind, and on the DS 2D looks great. Look at Castlevania, those are a lot like the old Metroid and they are great. Get on it Nintendo.

P.S. 2D Metroid on Wii could be awesome too, look at games like Super Paper Mario.
  • In this thread, we talk about games you really wanted to be good but they were let down by some kind of fundamental problem.

Project Nomads
    I've just been playing the first few levels of Project Nomads, which is a game that comes painfully close to being genuinely good but screws up many of the basic things. On paper, and in game, it is a great idea: Steampunk, floating islands, jetpacks, putting turrets and buildings on your floating island, then adding combat make it look and function great. Unfortunately, like a lot of low budget games, the controls completely let it down.

Moving your character is clunky, you have to go through a menu whenever you want to use/repair/deconstruct a building which is made worse by having to move over to a building whenever you want to repair it. Add to this, being unable to change your keyboard settings, and an already bad key layout and the game quickly becomes too frustrating to be enjoyable.

I forgot to add: Where I currently have the game saved, I am standing under a tree. This would not be a problem, apart from the fact that I can only turn and run on the spot.
    I actually have an original copy of that game, and when it came out, it was really good, it doesn't hold up that well to today's standards, I'll agree with that. But I still like it a lot.
  • Lugaru. The way they hype this game is awesome, but it's just old and barely controllable.

Also, any game I have made (but not finished).
  • Custom Robo on the Gamecube.
    What was the giant robot game for the PS2 where you actually controlled a person who was in-turn controlling the robot a la Gigantor/Tetsujin 28?
  • What was the giant robot game for the PS2 where you actually controlled a person who was in-turn controlling the robot a la Gigantor/Tetsujin 28?
    Robot Alchemic Drive
    I forgot about this game. Yeah, I super agree.
  • Armored Core 4.

Speeding up the gameplay with unlimited lateral boosting gave me the impression that the game would mainly consist of high-speed fights to the death with other mechs. Instead, I shot bombers and helicopters for an hour before I gave up.
    Every 3D Sonic game after Sonic Adventure 2 for that matter.
  • Every 3D Sonic game after Sonic Adventure 2 for that matter.
    I still maintain that Sonic Heroes was decent. At least it was playable.
  • Mario and Luigi: Partners in Time. I liked the first one so much that it's pretty much one of the few RPGs I've played through twice. Took me about 20-30 hours, awesome gameplay. This game had almost no story, 10-15 hours of gameplay, and it was just and utter letdown. Gameplay wise it was alright, but it was seriously just too short.
  • This game had almost no story, 10-15 hours of gameplay, and it was just and utter letdown. Gameplay wise it was alright, but it was seriously just too short.
    It wasn't good enough to be longer.
  • Deus Ex Invisible War
  • Deus Ex Invisible War
    Seconded.
  • Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: Ring of Fates
    Any Crystal Chronicles other than the original.
  • Wario Ware: Smooth Moves for the Wii.
  • Wario Ware: Smooth Moves for the Wii.
    Quoted for truth. That game exhibited perhaps the biggest disparity between expectations and reality since Daikatana.
    Fuck that game! It had the stupidest AI ever!
    It was really glitchy, and there was one point where I made a normal jump to a platform and then all the AI controlled characters following me kept jumping off the side of a cliff continuously, until their health was reduced to one.

Also, the voice acting was kind of terrible, but that's not rare...
  • edited March 2009
    This game had almost no story, 10-15 hours of gameplay, and it was just and utter letdown. Gameplay wise it was alright, but it was seriously just too short.
    It wasn't good enough to be longer.
    True. That's a good catch 22, as well.
    Post edited by Dkong on
  • What was the giant robot game for the PS2 where you actually controlled a person who was in-turn controlling the robot a la Gigantor/Tetsujin 28?
    Robot Alchemic Drive
    Maybe it was the fact that I played it in middle school, but I really enjoyed this game.

I was looking forward to Turning Point: Fall of Liberty for about a year because I liked the concept of it. The demo came out and I determined the game had unplayable controls.
  • edited March 2009
    Halo. I had heard my friends talking so much about this game saying that it was the greatest thing ever and that it was as good as God's vagina, so when I got my XBox, I got it, played it, and never picked it up again.
    Post edited by Li_Akahi on
  • as good as God's vagina
    Stolen for future usage.