This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Games you really wanted to be good

Comments

• The Legend of Zelda: Minish Cap.

/thread.
    I heard this game was good, actually. I've never played it, but when it came out it seemed like people liked it. What's wrong with it?
    I heard this game was good, actually. I've never played it, but when it came out it seemed like people liked it. What's wrong with it?
    The most common complaint is that the game is easy as balls.
  • I heard this game was good, actually... What's wrong with it?
    It's a great entry-level game. It's stylish and fun. The only problem is that it's about as hard as an appropriate analogy.
  • The most common complaint is that the game is easy as balls.
    This.
    It's stylish and fun.
    And this. Minish Cap was an enjoyable game, nothing more really. The Minish are fun, running around when small is also fun, the first dungeon boss is fun. Especially if you suddenly realize, like me, after having already cut down the green wobuffets before, "Damn, I'm small...". Also, the area above the tavern was very interesting imo.
  • I liked Minish Cap okay. It was the first Zelda game I played all the way through (I didn't finish Ocarina of time because it belonged to my cousins) and I thought it was a good introductory game.
  • edited March 2009
    Yeah, but it was probably the least good Zelda game (Not counting those CD-i games, those aren't worth counting). It's not so much that I wish it was a good game, it's just I wish it was a Zelda that was on the "Zelda" level, if you know what I mean.
    Post edited by Loganator456 on
  • Worse than Phantom Hourglass?
  • Worse than Phantom Hourglass?
    Phantom Hourglass wasn't so bad, except for that stupid dungeon you had to beat over and over and over again.
  • Phantom Hourglass wasn't so bad, except for that stupid dungeon you had to beat over and over and over again.
    Yeah, Hourglass was definitely better than Minish Cap. Really, the problem both of them had was too few dungeons. Wind Waker also had that same problem. It was actually pretty damn good, it just didn't have enough dungeons. I think they learned their lesson, because Twilight Princess went back to having lots of dungeons, but IMHO it still didn't have enough. If I made a Zelda game, it would have... 18 dungeons.
    1 introductory dungeon. 7 first half of the game dungeons. 1 middle dungeon. 7 second half of the game dungeons. 1 end of the game dungeon. 1 surprise real end of the game dungeon.

Hmm, this gives me an idea.
  • Mario and Luigi: Partners in Time. I liked the first one so much that it's pretty much one of the few RPGs I've played through twice. Took me about 20-30 hours, awesome gameplay. This game had almost no story, 10-15 hours of gameplay, and it was just and utter letdown. Gameplay wise it was alright, but it was seriously just too short.
    I recently replayed both Mario and Luigi titles in preperation for the last game of the series, and I realized the only reason the first Mario and Luigi felt longer than the second was because the first actually had a large overworld with things to explore and find. Partners in Time was strictly on-the-rails in that you went from one timehole to the next and proceeded with the fairly bare-bones plot, while to get around in the first game you had to walk from here to there in the Beanbean Kingdom, and sometimes you'll see a Boo statue or a gate and wonder "what's up there?" and take a detour to get a cool extra or something. I guess the thing about Partners in Time is that it felt rather rushed, and stuff just seemed to happen without much explanation. It didn't feel that much like a Mario RPG.

Though to be fair on Partners in Time I thought there turning out to be two Princess Shroobs was kind of cool, and Fawful's cameo was very nice (and I guess serves as foreshadowing for his main villain role in the third game).

In case you're worried, reports from people who have imported copies of M&L3; say that it is just as good as the first game, if not better. Though whether or not that's just hype is still up in the air.
  • @Scott: Remake LttP and just keep adding downloadable dungeon arcs?
  • edited March 2009
    @Scott: Remake LttP and just keep adding downloadable dungeon arcs?
    Zelda Game# dungeonsMetacritic score
    The Legend of Zelda984
    Zelda II: The Adventure of Link773
    A Link to the Past1395
    Link's Awakening9
    Ocarina of Time1499
    Majora's Mask 695
    Oracle of Seasons9
    Oracle of Ages9
    Wind Waker696
    Four Swords Adventures 86
    Minish Cap789
    Twilight Princess895
    Phantom Hourglass790
    I'm sure some of these numbers are wrong. Let me know.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • I wasn't meaning just dungeons alone would make a great game. LttP with more dungeons would just make a good game last longer.
  • I wasn't meaning just dungeons alone would make a great game. LttP with more dungeons would just make a good game last longer.
    I was saying that more dungeons makes a better game, so I went to collect the data.
    Man, LttP was such a phenomenal freaking game. I'm not sure that I would rate Ocarina of Time higher, though that was also an amazingly excellent game.

The DLC idea for a Zelda game sounds pretty neat, actually. If you took something like, say, 4 Swords for the Gamecube, made a Wii version, and then periodically added new dungeons on the Wii Store? That'd probably make a killing.
  • I was going to type something here, but then I thought better of it.
  • Though to be fair on Partners in Time I thought there turning out to be two Princess Shroobs was kind of cool, and Fawful's cameo was very nice (and I guess serves as foreshadowing for his main villain role in the third game).
    Raar! I'm playing that game now! Thanks!
  • But that data doesn't show much correlation. Majora's Mask, Wind Waker (need to play that), Twighlight Princess and (strangely) Phantom Hourglass are very low dungeons but high for scores.

That said, in terms of ones I've enjoyed, given that MM was technically an expansion pack, more dungeons and the expanding adventure pattern seem to make a better game.
  • Anecdotally speaking, from the opinions of other gamers, the games with more dungeons are generally more loved. I think that other factors contribute to the lack of correlation specifically with the metacritic scores. Also, didn't BS Zelda have new dungeons come over the satellite?
  • Diggery- I don't think walking around in the overworld actually ate up that much time. It was fairly big, but if you avoided battles and just walked, it wouldn't take more than 5-10 minutes to get around, at best.
    I guess the thing about Partners in Time is that it felt rather rushed, and stuff just seemed to happen without much explanation. It didn't feel that much like a Mario RPG.
    I agree with this, though.
  • Wind Waker was great, except towards the end with the Triforce hunting BS. I loved everything else about it.
  • Raar! I'm playing that game now! Thanks!
    Oh crap oh crap oh crap, I spoiled maybe the only plot twist in the game, I feel absolutely rotten. My bad, Emily! I'd make it up to you if I could but I don't know how!

Also I guess a game that I wanted to be good was Yoshi's Island DS. It was a decent game on its own, but I consider Yoshi's Island is one of the greatest platformers of all time and owe a large part of my childhood to it. The DS sequel tried to capture the feel of Yoshi's Island, but I felt like the baby-switching overcomplicated things since the only babies that were useful outside of getting collectible extras were Mario and Peach, anyways. Not to mention that the music in YIDS is absolute shit and one of the few games that I bother playing with the volume off (also so I don't have to listen to baby screeches).
  • I know a lot of people who like Zelda side-questing more than the dungeons, to the point that they find doing the dungeons painful.
  • The only Zelda I completed was Ocarina of Time and I probably spent more time on the side quests. Anyone else spend way too long fishing in a tiny pond? Finding masks? The dungeons were fun, but towards the end, when I had nothing else to do except work towards the castle (the one ripped off by Shrek), I felt like I was just going through the motions. And that damn scarecrow can go die in a fire.
  • Also, didn't BS Zelda have new dungeons come over the satellite?
    Yup
    You can play it online here
    Or download it here
  • I thought BloodRayne would be pretty awesome. I mean you're a vampire that can switch between sucking enemies dry and loading them full of bullets. It was just really poorly designed.

I was also pretty disappointed with Kings Quest VII. I had played all the Space Quest, Police Quest, and King's Quest until that game. It was just a giant animated movie that you occasionally got to click during. At that point I still had Lucas Arts to fall back on for my puzzle game fix.

Oh yeah. Breath of Fire - Dragon Quarter. That was all kinds of bad.
  • Super Mario Galaxy, Red Steel, Mario Kart Wii.
  • Super Mario Galaxy, Mario Kart Wii.
    Boo, justify those. The only thing I can think of with Galaxy was that it was easy, but that doesn't make it a bad game. Mario Kart Wii I can't even fathom what problem you could have with it.
  • Both Mario Kart Wii and Galaxy were steps back for the series. Kart was more fun, and had a lot more strategy involved in it in Double Dash, and it was a whole lot more fun to play co-op with your friends. It felt mostly like a nicer looking version of Kart 64, and it could have been so much better.

My problem with Galaxy is that its Mario 64 with gravity physics. Again its not really an improvement at all to the series, and it really could have been.