This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Games You are Currently Playing

Comments

• Isn't Brutal Legend like an action game/RTS hybrid?
  • edited October 2009
    Isn't Brutal Legend like an action game/RTS hybrid?
    Basically. You fight in a action game style, but you can control a group of friendly units that you can use to attack something, guard an area, or follow you around (at least that's how things have been so far from what I've played.)
    Post edited by Kiey on
  • Isn't Brutal Legend like an action game/RTS hybrid?
    Basically. You fight in a action game style, but you can control a group of friendly units that you can use to attack something, guard an area, or follow you around (at least that's how things have been so far from what I've played.)
    Yeah, I'm not so sure about the RTS stuff.
  • I heard that the multiplayer was basically an RTS, am I wrong?
  • There's a multiplayer? That seems like something I'm never going to use based on the demo.
  • Kingdom Hearts for the DS is both awesome and fucking annoying as shit.
  • Kingdom Hearts for the DS is both awesome and fucking annoying as shit.
    I want it, but I'm poor. Maybe for my birthday or if I somehow get money before then...
  • You really shouldn't knock Uncharted without trying it. The first game is great, mixing platforming, puzzles, and shooting elements. It also had a great story, with really entertaining characters.
    I'm pretty sure I just have low standards because I'm a punk kid with too much free time, but I really enjoy games that solidly execute old-as-dirt ideas. The style is just icing on the cake when it comes to games like Uncharted or Ratchet and Clank.
  • NS2 better hurry up.
  • Would like some more opinions on Brutal Legend down the line. Like, further into the game. Also, did you get a promo code for the three songs on Rock Band?
  • Brutal Legend is amazing and it should be all anyone is playing if they own a PS3 or 360.
  • Brutal Legend is pretty fun. As I expected though, the "RTS" element is annoying. The squad based combat is difficult to control IMO.

However, if you go into the game expecting more an an action/RPG (like I was expecting) it doesn't disappoint. I'm thoroughly entertained by the script and my admittedly feeble gaming skills are challenged by the combat at times.
  • edited October 2009
    Brutal Legend is pretty fun. As I expected though, the "RTS" element is annoying. The squad based combat is difficult to control IMO.

However, if you go into the game expecting more an an action/RPG (like I was expecting) it doesn't disappoint. I'm thoroughly entertained by the script and my admittedly feeble gaming skills are challenged by the combat at times.
    What about the RTS element annoying? That's the part of the game that made it look interesting to me; otherwise, it's basically Devil May Cry with guitars. And Jack Black.

Don't get me wrong, that's totally fucking awesome, but I'm not running out to get a 360 and the game if the RTS element is weak. Can you compare it to any other RTS's?
    Post edited by TheWhaleShark on
  • Don't get me wrong, that's totally fucking awesome, but I'm not running out to get a 360 and the game if the RTS element is weak. Can you compare it to any other RTS's?
    I don't really know if it's a good idea to get a console for just one game regardless. That's just my opinion though.

I haven't gotten the game yet (it's in the mail), but from what I've seen and read, the RTS element looks to be most similar to the Overlord games. It doesn't have a top-down God perspective like your Star/Warcrafts or C&Cs;, at least not initially. You actually control the character on the ground and just direct your minions in certain directions. It is a little more of an RTS than Overlord just by the fact that you have to collect resources, but mechanically they appear to be very similar.
  • Loved the game, enjoyed the demo. Will be sure to buy it later this week. (Brutal Legend)
  • I take it back. After a bit more play I have to say that Republic Heroes sucks.
  • Currently playing Demon's Souls furiously until my copy of Way of the Samurai 3 comes in on Friday.

At which point I will be playing it furiously until Dragon Age: Origins comes out.
  • Finished up Professor Layton and the Diabolical Box last night. Definitely the DS game I've enjoyed the most thus far. Much, much better than Curious Village, and I can't wait for Last Time Travel to make its way to the states. Next DS game I started on the bus today: Chrono Trigger. Hooray nostalgia!
  • Much, much better than Curious Village,
    I thought it was a lot worse than curious village. Like they just squeezed out a sequel without putting the same polish on it that they gave the first one. Notice how far fewer of the puzzles were interactive and interesting and most were just enter a number or multiple choice answers?

Today I played a bunch of demos.

'Splosion Man was fun, but not worth money.

Brutal Legend is, as I predicted, all style and no substance. They should have just made a movie instead of a game.

Space Giraffe fucked with my head.

Space Invaders Extreme was fun, but also not worth any money.

World of Goo let me name my own price, so I paid $1. Definitely doesn't live up to the hype. Fantastic Contraption is a zillion times better, and free. And they wonder why so many people pirated instead of paying.

Been playing Geometry Wars 2, but not having an HDTV makes the game surprisingly more difficult.
  • Definitely doesn't live up to the hype.
    My thoughts too. I got it through the indie game Steam sale and it's one of the games that I really haven't bothered with much.
  • edited October 2009
    I thought it was a lot worse than curious village. Like they just squeezed out a sequel without putting the same polish on it that they gave the first one. Notice how far fewer of the puzzles were interactive and interesting and most were just enter a number or multiple choice answers?
    I guess we'll just have to disagree here. I thought Diabolical Box had a more consistent pace and a lot more variety. One of the things that really got to me about Curious Village was that you kept going to same places over and over and over until the very end (and I really liked the end to that game), so I was happy to see that Diabolical Box changed environments throughout the game. And for the puzzles, I'm actually the kind of person who prefers math and multiple choice puzzles, which Diabolical Box has a lot more of, as you said. I get really frustrated at interactive puzzles where the main method is trial and error, which Curious Village had more of.

Plus, Curious Village has no awesome fencing duel. Diabolical Box +10 points!
    Post edited by theknoxinator on
  • Brutal Legend is, as I predicted, all style and no substance. They should have just made a movie instead of a game.
    There is a lot more content to the game then is shown in the demo. The massive battles are pretty cool.

Also, you don't get to see Lionwhite's massive hair wings in the demo.
  • There is a lot more content to the game then is shown in the demo. The massive battles are pretty cool.

Also, you don't get to see Lionwhite's massive hair wings in the demo.
    Remember the lesson of GaoGaiGar. I have huge piles of amazing entertainment sitting right here. Don't tell me it gets better later on. I have things sitting right here which are 100% good. If your demo doesn't impress, you are second-rate at best. My standards are high. Start with the best, forget the rest.
  • Remember the lesson of GaoGaiGar. I have huge piles of amazing entertainment sitting right here. Don't tell me it gets better later on. I have things sitting right here which are 100% good. If your demo doesn't impress, you are second-rate at best. My standards are high. Start with the best, forget the rest.
    Things get better right as the demo ends, actually. When the actual world opens up, the game shines.
  • edited October 2009
    Things get better right as the demo ends, actually. When the actual world opens up, the game shines.
    Explain what aspect of the game provides any sort of gameplay other than typical straightforward 3rd-person action adventure.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • Remember the lesson of GaoGaiGar. I have huge piles of amazing entertainment sitting right here. Don't tell me it gets better later on. I have things sitting right here which are 100% good. If your demo doesn't impress, you are second-rate at best. My standards are high. Start with the best, forget the rest.
    Well then you're set for life, what do you care?
  • Well then you're set for life, what do you care?
    Because pwning on teh Interenets is awesomes!
  • edited October 2009
    Explain what aspect of the game provides any sort of gameplay other than typical straightforward 3rd-person action adventure.
    You can pull off power-slides that make people explode, you can melt people's faces with guitar riffs, the RTS segments are actually really fun, the combo-attacks are clever, the world is astoundingly well-designed, Ozzy is the upgrade system, it's brilliantly written, the Druid Plow itself, and the sound track just to name a few.
    Post edited by Li_Akahi on
  • Because pwning on teh Interenets is awesomes!
    Because saying, "that game you like isn't the most amazing game ever," is pwning so hard.

This is not greatest game in the world, this is a tribute. :P
  • edited October 2009
    You can pull off power-slides that make people explode, you can melt people's faces with guitar riffs, the RTS segments are actually really fun, the combo-attacks are clever, the world is astoundingly well-designed, Ozzy is the upgrade system, it's brilliantly written, the Druid Plow itself, and the sound track just to name a few.
    You didn't answer my question. Almost everything you mentioned is a stylistic element, not a gameplay element. The only gameplay element you mentioned is that the "...RTS segments are actually really fun." Really fun is not very descriptive. Why are they fun? What about them makes for interesting gameplay? Is anything about them actually strategic or tactical, or just an illusion of such? If they are good, are they a significant enough portion of the game to justify a $50 pricetag when most of the game is completely standard walk around and hit things?
    Post edited by Apreche on