This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Games You are Currently Playing

Comments

• Halo 3 is hands-down the best FPS ever made. It is all I've been playing.
    Obvious troll is obvious.
    Yes, we all know that Daikatana is the best FPS ever made. We know it so well, nobody ever even bothers to mention it because it is just common sense. To attempt to troll by stating otherwise is folly.
  • Yes, we all know that Daikatana is the best FPS ever made. We know it so well, nobody ever even bothers to mention it because it is just common sense. To attempt to troll by stating otherwise is folly.
    You clearly never played X-OPERATIONS.
    Yes, we all know that Daikatana is the best FPS ever made. We know it so well, nobody ever even bothers to mention it because it is just common sense. To attempt to troll by stating otherwise is folly.
    This is true. John Romero made me his bitch.
  • This is true. John Romero made me his bitch.
    He made all of us his bitch. I actually have to go into the office tomorrow to fulfill my yearly bitch duties.
  • This is true. John Romero made me his bitch.
    He made all of us his bitch. I actually have to go into the office tomorrow to fulfill my yearly bitch duties.
    Also known as, "Sucking it down."
  • For me, style can add to gameplay, but it can never replace gameplay. It's an enjoyment multiplier, but itself can not make a game enjoyable from nothing.

NS is clearly a better game for its style, atmosphere, and polish. But, these factors only matter because the underlying game is brilliant. Castle Crashers is made much better by its style as well, but it has decent gameplay to back it up, and the style is interspersed with the gameplay. It has no real replayability, though.

No amount of Jack Black would make a game like Bugs Bunny's Crazy Castle or WoW worth playing to me. ^_~
  • So if the game has negative gameplay value, style makes it worse?
    Yes. Because, in that case, there is an awesome style or story (like, say Legend of Dragoon or Chrono Cross) that is basically denied to anyone unwilling to play the shit game that's been intertwined with it.
    Sometimes, like with Final Fantasy VIII, not even style can save the game (of course, even the style in that game was shit).
    Sometimes, like with Final Fantasy VIII, not even style can save the game (of course, even the style in that game was shit).
    So true, so true...
    But my point is still that reused gameplay does not equal negative gameplay. But you are right. I would not play a game with bad gameplay. Just a game with old gameplay that presented it in an awesome way.
  • Rym,

I don't really understand how Castle Crashers is really all that different from Brutal Legend.
  • I don't really understand how Castle Crashers is really all that different from Brutal Legend.
    I haven't played Brutal Legend yet, so I can't weigh in.
  • I haven't played Brutal Legend yet, so I can't weigh in.
    So far, you walk around and smash stuff (I've only played, the supposed RTM stuff hasn't really come up yet). Is this not the same basic idea as Castle Crashers?
  • reused gameplay does not equal negative gameplay.
    This is true. There are many games I enjoy that are just rehashes of existing gameplay. I mean, I just played Shadow Complex, which is basically identical to Super Metroid with only slight game play improvements, like better wall-jump controls. However, there are two key differences you are failing to see.

One is that there really aren't that many Metroid/Castlevania style games out there. It's really rare that a 2D platform action/exploration game comes out. Shadow Complex is actually the only 2.5D game in this genre, allowing you to shoot at objects and enemies in the background. Even though the game is not innovative or original, it's a rare treat because there are so few games in that genre. Whereas a game in the same genre as Brutal Legend comes out every week or two.

Secondly, the genre of 2d exploration platforming is very intellectually stimulating, when done properly. It requires the player to be very observant, so you can notice secrets. Then it requires you to solve puzzles and figure out how to get the secret using the tools at your disposal. Then it requires you to have the actual dexterity and timing to actually get the secrets. An excellent challenge all around.

A game like Brutal Legend is far less challenging. You aim the stick towards the bad guys, and you press pretty much any combination of buttons to kill them. Rinse and repeat until you see more story. Not exactly very mentally taxing.
  • So far, you walk around and smash stuff (I've only played, the supposed RTM stuff hasn't really come up yet). Is this not the same basic idea as Castle Crashers?
    Castle Crashers has co-op.
  • Okay. I'll accept that. I don't agree with it, but I'll accept it. Thank you for humoring my finickiness.
  • A game like Brutal Legend is far less challenging. You aim the stick towards the bad guys, and you press pretty much any combination of buttons to kill them. Rinse and repeat until you see more story. Not exactly very mentally taxing.
    Fair point, but I don't play it to challenge myself all that much. I play just to have fun.

I play Forza to actually test my reflexes.
  • I don't really understand how Castle Crashers is really all that different from Brutal Legend.
    I haven't played Brutal Legend yet, so I can't weigh in.
    Get the demo on Scott's 360.
  • Brütal legend is looking like a game I'll buy post-price drop. $60 is too much for a 3D "walk around and hit things" game that isn't Ninja Gaiden on the Xbox.
  • Brütal legend is looking like a game I'll buy post-price drop. $60 is too much for a 3D "walk around and hit things" game that isn't Ninja Gaiden on the Xbox.
    This.
  • Batman: Arkham Asylum is amazing. My only complaint is that the combat isn't as fun as the stealth and Metroid parts.
  • Was at Toys R Us yesterday for their buy 2 games get 1 free for any console. I got Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story, Jeremy got Kindom Hearts 358/2, and for our third game we got Street Fighter 4. I plan on pwning him with my Chun-Li skills.
  • edited October 2009
    and for our third game we got Street Fighter 4. I plan on pwning him with my Chun-Li skills.
    If you haven't played SF4 yet, don't count on it -- Chun Li pretty much sucks in this game. She's been my second choice since SF2, but now...gah.
    Post edited by Funfetus on
  • If you haven't played SF4 yet, don't count on it -- Chun Li pretty much sucks in this game. She's been my second choice since SF2, but now...gah.
    Boo. She was always my favorite character. ; _ ;
  • I'm pretty much halfway through beating Mario Kart DS. So far waluigi is my favorite.
  • I'm pretty much halfway through beating Mario Kart DS. So far waluigi is my favorite.
    Mine too. I pretty much love the character of Waluigi since I like Luigi a whole lot more than Mario. They should make more Luigi games and maybe an interesting Waluigi game.
    Mine too. I pretty much love the character of Waluigi since I like Luigi a whole lot more than Mario. They should make more Luigi games and maybe an interesting Waluigi game.
    Well, it's not because of that. Waluigi is just the most well rounded and best character I have available to me. Luigi is a close second because his stats are somewhat lower.
  • Chun Li fine in SF4.
  • JayJay
    edited October 2009
    got Street Fighter 4. I plan on pwning him with my Chun-Li skills.
    If you haven't played SF4 yet, don't count on it -- Chun Li pretty much sucks in this game. She's been my second choice since SF2, but now...gah.
    Chun Li fine in SF4.
    At low level play shes ok. Her pokes come out quick and have good range, you can poke spam into grabs randomly, and her ex bird kick is a great wake up. Her jumping double HP into lightning legs is also very abusable. You can also land supers/ultra's on wake up and they'll go through fire ball spam. (remember low level play)

Intermediate level play is where she really falls apart. Her learning curve is very harsh. It takes allot of practice to do the most basic of combos that are usable in a match, and they don't do that much damage for the effort. Her ultra is one of the harder ones to combo into (as she is a charge character) and its not very good as a random punisher like Guile's or Blanka. Chun-li's real game is from mix up's and solid pokes. Advanced level tactics. Basically, your gonna get rocked by Ken doing random EX uppercuts or Sagat using fireball spam. God help you if you run into a Seth/Zangief.

In advance level play she becomes a sub par character. If your gonna go through the pain of using a charge character Balrog/Blanka/Bison/Honda are all much easier to use and much more effective against most opponents. Street Fighter is a very balanced game so she doesn't have too many impossible to win match ups, but you have to work allot harder with her to get anywhere.

So yea, she is quiet shit in this game. Nothing compared to the god like status she had in 3rd Strike.

Whatever though, this is all unimportant. Super Street Fighter 4 is coming out and T-Hawk is in it. ITS OVER!

P.S Capcom please give Dan some buffs. My life long dream is to pick Dan in serious matches and jump taunt to victory.

*edit*

Ro: If you want to rock your friend. Go into training mode for 20 minutes with Sagat. He's a power house. You can spam tiger knee's/fire balls to victory at casual level play.
    Post edited by Jay on