This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Games You are Currently Playing

Comments

• MATATAT said:

Axel said:

Contrary to some internet rumblings, I'm very much enjoying Smash Bros. for 3DS.

It's been pretty well received among game sites, where are there Internet grumblings?
    As someone who can't wave dash, I need to know if pros consider this Smash Bros. to be legit or if it's another Brawl.
  • It definitely plays better than Brawl. A little less floaty.
  • Every single "expert opinion" I have heard points to this being widely accepted among the competitive community. It should replace Melee.
  • Matt said:

Every single "expert opinion" I have heard points to this being widely accepted among the competitive community. It should replace Melee.

Well, just got home. Time to put the cartridge into my 3DS and never remove it.
  • Much less floaty, characters have a nice sense of weight. More importantly, the online seems to work!
  • I haven't had as much luck with online. I tried two matches and they both ended early due to connection troubles. I was trying at 11PM EST, probably peak time, but still.

As for the game, now that I've played a bunch, I can say I really like this version. I'm honestly a bit overwhelmed by learning all of the new characters and stages (I mostly don't remember the Brawl stuff, so this is double-learning), but it'll come. I've at least gotten to the point where I am used to the the controls, and have shaken much of the rust off w/ my Pikachu main.

Other thoughts:
    - I much prefer to play this game on my wife's XL. The normal 3DS just feels too small for Smash.
    - I actually prefer the standard button layout. I immediately went in and flipped the controls around, but kept messing it up. The standard layout felt more intuitive. I didn't think playing 4 or 5 matches of the demo would lock me into that, but apparently my mind has already decided.

• yea I have issues with the controls as well.
  • So I changed the controls to what I thought would be better, and it wasn't. It turns out the default is the best configuration I can come up with, but is still awkward.

Also, it's hard for me on the DS because I use the d-pad exclusively for just about everything. This is the first game that is forcing me to use the analog thingy, and it's not good. I keep going back to the d-pad, which does taunts and shit.
  • I am still going to play the ever-loving shit out of this game on 3DS, but the experience has just made me desperate for a Wii U release date. The game is so solid! I just want it on a big screen with a Wavebird in my hands.

I gave up hope that the Wii U version would be out before Extra Life. Was really hoping to fill out a 32-person tournament bracket like we used to do in college on Melee. I did download Project M though.
  • There are so many modes, I don't even know where to start. Sticking with classic and going through every character.
  • Apreche said:

There are so many modes, I don't even know where to start. Sticking with classic and going through every character.

I'm the opposite. I went straight online and ignored all the single player stuff. The online is pretty funny too, depending on which mode. I've had some pretty funny 4 player team games. One game we were both Sammus and proceed to throw our opponents away and spam them with charge beams. It was funny because we kind of just fell into that rhythm together. So we kept doing it the whole game. I think you sort of make your own fun in this, to some extent. Playing with strangers, you can only communicate with body language.

• I've had 2 laggy games of online, 2 games that ended due to connection problem, and about 10 unsuccessful attempts to even get into a game.

For diving into the game, I suggest using the challenge wall as your guide. Do a little bit of everything, maybe with your most comfortable characters, to unlock all of the squares on that wall. You have to do it any to unlock the Game & Watch stage, so might as well focus on it now and let it show you around the game. Once you have finished that, do a little bit of training and a classic mode run with each character.
  • Wow I suck. Not even as good as I was in the GameCube days.
  • Online requires a great internet connection on both ends. I've found For Glory, 1 on 1 matches are the only chance to have a particularly lagless match if you're not fighting with friends. My brother and I had several mostly lag-free matches online, but we're not too far away from each other and have good internet.

The controls definitely could be more customizable, but the default really is the best way for it to work, which is why it's set that way. The devs know what they're doing. Once we have the Wii U version, playing with the GC Controller or Wii U Pro Controller will be the best way to play.

But it seems like the competitive scene likes this game a lot. It doesn't have the slow hand-holding of Brawl, while having a lot more variety than Melee. Characters on the whole seem more balanced, with less standing out as really great.

If you're lost on what to do when getting in, I recommend playing Classic and Smash Run. Smash Run will get you a lot of the same unlocks as Classic, but it's essentially City Trial from Kirby Air Ride. Pretty fun.
  • I'm super terrible too, but I really think I'm having trouble with the controls of Smash brothers on the 3ds.. Also the regular 3ds's controls causes my hand some pain...
  • Welcome to growing older!
  • edited October 2014
    I couldn't handle the default controls.
    I use: A - Jump, B - Attack, Y - Special, X - Grab, R - Shield.

Puts the two most used actions on A and B, and allows a nice little "pincer" motion if you want to shield grab (hold R, then press X to grab out of shield).

Played with a friend for about an hour last night. Basically lag free, as far as I could tell.

The worst thing about this game? Not being able to change item frequency! It's either raining death, or there is nothing. Why take away the frequency button? So STUPID.

I'm sure people liked items... on LOW...
    Post edited by InvaderREN on
  • Nothing to do with Age, more like hand size the 3ds has always been that way for me.
  • The strangest issue so far has been lag...in local multiplayer.
  • ThatGent said:

The strangest issue so far has been lag...in local multiplayer.

WTF? That could ruin a lot of peoples dreams... Being a PORTABLE Smash and all... :/

• Darn it, I just picked up smash, let me know if you want to duke it out some time...
  • I don't know what it is but my animal crossing/Harvest Moon itch appears to want some attention. Anyone else still play them?
  • Coldguy said:

I don't know what it is but my animal crossing/Harvest Moon itch appears to want some attention. Anyone else still play them?

Rune Factory
  • Fantasy Life is coming out very soon. It would scratch that itch quite well. It's a dungeon-crawl Animal Crossing.
  • Apreche said:

Coldguy said:

I don't know what it is but my animal crossing/Harvest Moon itch appears to want some attention. Anyone else still play them?

Rune Factory
    Is the dungeon crawling part of RF worth a damn?
  • johndis said:

Apreche said:

Coldguy said:

Rune Factory
    Is the dungeon crawling part of RF worth a damn?
    Barely. I neglected to mention the real reason for playing Rune Factory is dating fantasy folk in town!
  • Fantasy Dating Sim + Farming = Harvest Moon with swords. I dig it.
  • Endless Legend, I don't know why but I can't stop clicking next turn!
  • Matt said:

Fantasy Life is coming out very soon. It would scratch that itch quite well. It's a dungeon-crawl Animal Crossing.

I'm starting to get kinda hyped about this. That itch has been growing mighty strong recently.
  • Still playing Hearthstone. Probably the only person I know who plays Hearthstone... *sigh*

Also, Smash on 3DS is a lot of fun. Love Lil Mac, Bowser, Mario/Dr. Mario.