This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Games You are Currently Playing

Comments

• The Fall is pretty dope. ~3 hour sorta adventure game with some light action elements. Interesting atmosphere and some sweet shaders at times.
  • Beat Transistor in under 5 hours. I like the game play. Not totally sure if I love the ending.
  • I'm liking Transistor so far. It's actually pretty challenging and interesting, and the aesthetic is amazing.
  • I had never played a Ubisoft game on Steam before Trials, and boy, that is some annoying shit. It forces you to launch the Uplay client when you click "Play" on Trails in Steam. Then the following things inevitably happen:
    - UPlay requests your admin password
    - Steam gives you a popup letting you know the game is launching in another client

This does not sound so bad, but this usually happens right when I've plopped my ass on the couch, controller in hand, after a long day, but the keyboard is halfway across the room. I learned to keep the keyboard close after the first few groans. Also, Chrome Remote Desktop app is amazing and sometimes is more convenient than getting up if you're just doing some quick typing.

Also, even if you quit the game, and Uplay is still running, Steam still thinks you are playing the game. So now I've played Trials for "87 hours." Which is probably the amount of time I get to play video games over about 6 months.
  • That is why I only play Ubisoft games on consoles.
  • That's why I simply avoid playing Ubisoft games if at all possible.
  • Apreche said:

That's why I simply avoid playing Ubisoft games if at all possible.

• I've been lucky enough that Uplay hasn't really caused me any problems. Slight annoyance, but nothing so major that it would make me not play a game I'm interested in.
  • Yeah I don't think it would make me take the hard-line stance like everyone else, but it would give me some hesitation. Given the plethora of choice, it only takes a little hesitation these days to say "fuck it, play something else."

In happier news, we're having a really good time with Papers, Please. I played through the first 8 days or so back when it came out, loved it, but then I stalled out and never went back. Started from scratch, with my wife and I doing an informal co-op, and we're onto day 22 now. Fantastic game.
  • Well I do want to play Valiant Hearts which is Ubisoft. Also FC4 most likely as well. I spent a lot of time on 3.
  • Apsup said:

I've been lucky enough that Uplay hasn't really caused me any problems. Slight annoyance, but nothing so major that it would make me not play a game I'm interested in.

Same here. Worst trouble I've had was trying to play Trials Evo multiplayer, which was a shitshow - but that's more Red Lynx's fault than Ubisoft, considering that there's other games (Ass Creed, Driver San Fran, Far Cry 3) that work perfectly through the same system.
  • Went to an old school 3 day LAN. Had fun and some nostalgia playing -

Nidhogg (most hype games were had)
    Super Street Fighter 4 AE
    Super Smash Brothers: Melee
    Return to Castle Wolfenstein Enemy Territory
    Call of Duty 4 (surprisingly)
    Counterstrike 1.6
    Warcraft 3 with a bunch of mods including Dota 0 (surprisingly more fun than current MOBAs)
    Civilization V (epic game)

Game I found that is an amazing mind game for parties -

"The Ship" which is a source mod

Everyone is a target and everyone has a target to murder.
    you can't be seen by any camera, guard or any other player (except your target) when you commit your crime otherwise you are sent to jail which carries a money penalty and time out of the round.
    Your character will also have a ticker on having to go to the bathroom, shower, eat, drink or read so you are forced to move and strategically meet these requirements hence putting yourself at risk of being murdered.

The mind games are great.

Weird distribution of the game, when one person buys it they get 2 free copies to give to Steam friends which themselves spawn further copies of the game to give out, I didn't quite get the model as we spread the game amongst most of us with just buying one copy but then the people that were left out wanted to jump in and bought the game immediately.

Anyhow I would recommend it.
  • edited July 2014
    Wyatt said:

Beat Transistor in under 5 hours. I like the game play. Not totally sure if I love the ending.

I was a bit taken aback from the ending, however I ended up liking it. The music. Oh so good. Darren Korb and Ashley Barrett are even more amazing than they were i the Bastion OST.

I'm taking my time with the second playthrough and getting/using all the limiters. The enemy, "Man", can EABOD.
    Rym said:

I'm liking Transistor so far. It's actually pretty challenging and interesting, and the aesthetic is amazing.

I love using all the abilities in all the different slots to get more information on all the characters. I want to see cosplays of ALL the characters, especially Asher Kendrell because "kitty on his shoulder".

Edit:
    As for current games. Jeremy and I went to the EMP Museum for the Myth and Magic Faire. There was a large screen playing of Zelda Four Swords:

Jeremy has never played it, so we're busting out our GBA SPs and having some co-op fun.
    Post edited by Rochelle on
  • I am hosting an Extra Life 24hr gaming marathon again in October. We're making it a tradition to play "big games" and ones that require extra setup, special hardware, etc. Four Swords is going to be on tap this time around.
  • Mark of the Ninja. SPOILARZ Did you kill the guy or the girl/yourself? I killed the guy 'cause I'm crazy, duh.
    NO MORE SPOILARZ
  • I was curious how much use I was getting out of my various consoles, so I cracked open my game tracking file and sorted by console for games played in 2014. Only games I spend a considerable amount of time on make this list (most were played to completion). Games I played/beat in previous years that I went back to fuck around with more (Monaco, Spaceteam, etc) don't get included.

360:
    - Some Sesame Street Kinect game with my 3-year-old daughter

PC:
    - Octodad
    - Papers, Please
    - Hotline Miami
    - Brothers
    - Trials Evolution Gold
    - Goat Simulator

Mobile:
    - Hearthstone
    - Threes

Wii U:
    - NES Remix
    - Super Mario 3D World
    - Game & Wario
    - Super Luigi U
    - Pikmin 2 (Wii port of the GC game)

3DS:
    - Rusty's Real Deal Baseball
    - Shovel Knight
    - Pushmo
    - Layton (Last Specter - DS)
    - Elite Beat Agents (DS)
    - Tetris Axis
    - Shinobi 3DS
    - Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D

Very tough call to say which platform I've been enjoying most, but I was surprised to see my main 3 were almost equally used.
  • So my girlfriend wanted a new DS game for us to play on our flight to Europe and decided to get us Pokemon Black and White 2 since she'd never played a Pokemon game before. I haven't played any since Red and Blue. We're both enjoying it so far. It plays faster than I expected, though that happens a lot when I play DS games after long periods of not using it.
  • I finally got around to completing The Last of Us...

Holy fuck... Why are more games not like this? There were no situations where I ever felt like the game was cheating, I always felt that mistakes were mine and mine alone.

The character development? By the end of the game I truly cared what happened to Joel and Ellie.

The world is so richly detailed, not just graphics but the notes you find and just the way the world is crafted. When you walk into some locations you feel like you are walking into a real persons home.
  • I can't stand Naughty Dog's 3rd person platforming combat etc shit. I'm like right at the dam area after trying to play the game a couple times and I just stopped playing. I felt the same way about the Uncharted games too.
  • I agree with Matatat
  • Battleblock Theater is a pretty good game to teach platforming skills to people who have never played them before. It's super forgiving with deaths and time and has a fun co-op story mode. I really have to stop and realize that things like double jumps are bizarre concepts if you've never dealt with them before.
  • I do have to say that the trophies on Last of Us are seriously broken. For some strange reason it awarded me the "found everything" trophy BEFORE I earned each of the four "found all of these things" trophies.

Now I am considering trying the "play in reverse" cheat to nab all of the game completion trophies.
  • I am done with La Mulana, what appeared to be a really good open ended metroidvania turned into a milon's secret castle with linear moon logic.
  • Wasteland 2.

Not for the faint of heart. Not for the modern coddled gamer. Not for those who try it one way and then go back to a save game from ten minutes ago. Oh no, this game has you make a choice and then you don't see the result of that choice for hours.

So good to see a game out there that caters to the old school gamers. Gamers who don't care if they "Accidentally" kill a quest NPC. Because you can kill quest NPCs, they are not immortal as in some other games.
  • oh did that come out I gotta redeem my steamkey
  • I'll wait at least until I've done with Planescape Torment and Divinity to get Wasteland. But I'm excited to see how it is.
  • Not out yet but the "final" beta update was released pending the full game release. I know I will not hit the end of the beta content before the full game is released. I shied off playing it much before because I didn't like the "your save games are invalid after this update" warnings.
  • The final game is gonna be like $20 when right now its $60. But I guess you also get a copy of the first game. But it will come out early September they said so it's worth waiting.
  • The high price was because of kickstarter. They didn't want to piss off the backers by making it cheaper than the pledge level for beta access.
  • Co-op Octodad continues to entertain.