This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Games You are Currently Playing

Comments

• Dishonored
    Catching up on slightly older titles.
    I have no idea why this game was lauded as a must have / play, game of the year and all the other BS awards. It looks kind of OK for the time period it was released graphics wise.
    The excessive text in the world seems unnecessary considering you achieve similar game knowledge from just playing it.

Playing the game feels like trash.

I'm playing on the hardest difficulty and the missions are certainly not challenging, I can't tell if the AI is good or not because the player is crazy good a few minutes maybe 10 minutes into the game.
    It wants to be a stealth game but gives me a way to kill all the enemies in the stage with ease. I feel as if a player should not be conflicted on how they should play the game.

The story teller really tries to pull you into the world but it just doesn't work.

Mostly the difficulty level should have been ratcheted up way higher and less game breaking abilities - I can see through walls, teleport after the first 2 stages and don't need to upgrade anything else.

Even the recent Splinter Cell games have been better at stealth than this (because you can finish stages fastest by being as stealthy as possible).
  • Dishonored's difficulty only really works if you set goals for yourself, like never kill or never be seen. The Time Stop ability is especially game breaking, because it not only freezes enemies but also electric obstacles like the walls or towers. If you have enough mana potions you can just charge through the game more or less.
  • edited July 2015
    Right, Dishonored is about as easy or as challenging as you want to make it. As far as open world games go its pretty close to "approach this pretty much any way you want". A lot of those other games eventually funnel you through certain paths at certain points. Even Human Revolution does this. But Dishonored says if you want to somehow scale this building or go through it thats your choice. That's sort of the challenging part of making one of these games. How do you give the player freedom without just making it trivial or bullshit? On more than one occasion in Dishonored I literally teleported behind someone from in front of them and choked them out. Did it make certain encounters easy? Yeah. But it was also kinda cool.
    Post edited by MATATAT on
  • Yeah, real Dishonoured starts when you say to yourself "I'm going to steal every gold coin and pickpocket every guard and they ain't ever even gonna see my ass."
  • However if you are forcing role playing elements such as that has the game not lost a little of its identity?

I tried doing the non-lethal route from the start but the game decided to include the kills I did for fun at auto-save points even after reloading so that bit was frustrating. It is falsely counting kills when I have saved before, killed and enemy for fun and reloaded. Kind of weird but annoying. Also going the non-lethal route cuts out about 80% of the upgrades and gizmos.

I agree there are multiple ways to approach each problem but every time all I do is blink on to the rooftop and walk over the top, I might unlock possession to see if its more fun.

If it wanted to be a stealth game it should have gone the way of Styx: Master of Shadows or closer to the character Mark of the Ninja. Don't get game breakers till the game difficulty requires it at a later point in the game.
  • No doubt it's deeply flawed. I found it entertaining enough to play twice, with the second run only taking a few hours. If you're having a god time keep with it, but don't bother forcing yourself to keep playing.
  • edited July 2015
    sK0pe said:

However if you are forcing role playing elements such as that has the game not lost a little of its identity?

I tried doing the non-lethal route from the start but the game decided to include the kills I did for fun at auto-save points even after reloading so that bit was frustrating. It is falsely counting kills when I have saved before, killed and enemy for fun and reloaded. Kind of weird but annoying. Also going the non-lethal route cuts out about 80% of the upgrades and gizmos.

I agree there are multiple ways to approach each problem but every time all I do is blink on to the rooftop and walk over the top, I might unlock possession to see if its more fun.

If it wanted to be a stealth game it should have gone the way of Styx: Master of Shadows or closer to the character Mark of the Ninja. Don't get game breakers till the game difficulty requires it at a later point in the game.

It just boils down to how people play these games individually. I didn't really think anything was that game breaking in Mark of the Ninja but I also basically used the same two things that I used throughout the entire game because that was how I wanted to play the game. MotN still sort of influences your choices on what items to take based on how you want to objectify the game. At least from what I remember to get a specific stealth rating it made sense to use this and that. But what I mean is that if you go stealth vs assault you're always cutting out items.

There are also tons of things you miss by going directly from A to B in Dishonored. There are tons of mini objectives, side stories, notes, secrets, etc in that game. This is why open ended game design is hard to do. It's all about getting the players to sort of do what you want them to do without making it linear. Open ended approaches are open ended in name only most of the time. Because going to far into open ended means you can scale the side of the building and walk in the window. To put it in perspective: Susan Sarandon voices a character in that game. I never met that character until I went back after beating the game. I walked straight past her in one section and she has an entire story arc but I never saw her again after walking past her.
    Post edited by MATATAT on
  • Oh yeah I did the Granny Rags missions for sure. The game gets you to visit all the places by placing runes and bone charms in those spots although I keep missing the paintings. I tried being a rat, wasn't really helpful but was cool thing to do.

Blinking, jumping, choking cops and prostitutes is pretty much it.

I think the main reason I'm disappointed is that I feel it could have been much more with better writing and a few tweaks to how the character plays.

I'll see what it's like just going full crazy kill everyone in my way for the next stage to see if there is a major difference to the non-lethal approach.
  • Some GTA 5, which is grand fun, especially just screwing around with Vic and/or others.

But as of today, Rocket League. HOLY FUCK Rocket League. Fuck soccer, THIS is a fucking sport that deserves a world cup. Jesus Christ.
  • sK0pe said:

Oh yeah I did the Granny Rags missions for sure. The game gets you to visit all the places by placing runes and bone charms in those spots although I keep missing the paintings. I tried being a rat, wasn't really helpful but was cool thing to do.

Blinking, jumping, choking cops and prostitutes is pretty much it.

I think the main reason I'm disappointed is that I feel it could have been much more with better writing and a few tweaks to how the character plays.

I'll see what it's like just going full crazy kill everyone in my way for the next stage to see if there is a major difference to the non-lethal approach.

Yeah I mean, it needs some tweaking. Mostly I just like the sort of open ended-ness of the game. It's sort of like hitman but hitman is just absurd sometimes. I also don't particularly find the writing good either but I like the world they've made too. Hopefully dishonored 2 polishes things up a bit more.
  • I just spent the afternoon playing Rocket League. It's the fucking business.
  • I just spent the afternoon playing Rocket League. It's the fucking business.

Goddamned right.
  • Got into Rising Thunder alpha. In many ways it feels like Street Fighter 4: robot edition. Also, one button specials, which do little to prevent me from fucking up in many different ways.
  • Apsup said:

Got into Rising Thunder alpha. In many ways it feels like Street Fighter 4: robot edition. Also, one button specials, which do little to prevent me from fucking up in many different ways.

I got the email this morning so I have to install it.

I'm looking forward to it if I can find some free time and people to play.

• sK0pe said:

I'm looking forward to it if I can find some free time and people to play.44

At this point it only has ranked matchmaking with randoms, so no playing with friends, thus no need to specially find people to play. Also I was able to find decent matches middle of the night, so lack of people to play with doesn't seem to be a problem.

• Apsup said:

sK0pe said:

I'm looking forward to it if I can find some free time and people to play.44

At this point it only has ranked matchmaking with randoms, so no playing with friends, thus no need to specially find people to play. Also I was able to find decent matches middle of the night, so lack of people to play with doesn't seem to be a problem.

My main problem is that my city is the most isolated capital city in the world and there is no fiber in my neighbourhood yet so I'm on fairly slow DSL.
    Time is my problem at the moment but might have some on the weekend.

• Galak-Z is some true shit. Everyone with a ps4 should be on this train.
  • Yeah seems pretty good. Might need to pick it up
  • It's been around 8 months since one of these released. It's probably only of interest to Scott.

Picross e6 SO MUCH MEGA PICROSS!
    It may actually take me some time to get through this one.
  • I have spent the last couple nights Rocketing and even a little Leagueing. It is a good bit of fun, though I will likely move on from it pretty quickly.
  • Apsup said:

Got into Rising Thunder alpha. In many ways it feels like Street Fighter 4: robot edition. Also, one button specials, which do little to prevent me from fucking up in many different ways.

So I got to try it out and it felt weird not needing to do the motions but also allowed confidence in setting up a strategies and long combo strings in addition to confidently punish poor players, close to Nidhogg X Street Fighter.

• I've been playing Darkest Dungeon. It Lovecraftian Football Manager with adventurers and Gothic horror. The art direct is amazing.
  • I'm not really liking Rising Thunder much and I think its just because it's in a really early stage. I don't really know how to breach the basic bullshit with this game that I usually don't have trouble with on other fighting games but the game doesn't tell you anything about it. I imagine if I do some research I could figure it out but also just the fact that they've simplified things so much is kinda throwing me off some.

I also really suck at this game though. I've never been much of a Street Fighter player.
  • MATATAT said:

I'm not really liking Rising Thunder much and I think its just because it's in a really early stage. I don't really know how to breach the basic bullshit with this game that I usually don't have trouble with on other fighting games but the game doesn't tell you anything about it. I imagine if I do some research I could figure it out but also just the fact that they've simplified things so much is kinda throwing me off some.

I also really suck at this game though. I've never been much of a Street Fighter player.

I assume that they add tutorials and more robust training mode later, but now they are focusing on basic stuff and network.

And I don't really think that RT has simplified thing that much, pretty much only thing they have done is removing the motion-inputs from special moves, rest is still very pure street fighter. Maybe little less required links also.

One thing I really like about Rising Thunder is that it's only fighting game I know which communicates to you if moves have armor or have invulnerability on them (blue glow for armor, yellow glow for invulnerability).
  • Also finally played some rocket league. Took some people to pound town.
  • MATATAT said:

Also finally played some rocket league. Took some people to pound town.

I am watching the list of friends who own it on steam grow, and it is good.
  • MATATAT said:

I'm not really liking Rising Thunder much and I think its just because it's in a really early stage. I don't really know how to breach the basic bullshit with this game that I usually don't have trouble with on other fighting games but the game doesn't tell you anything about it. I imagine if I do some research I could figure it out but also just the fact that they've simplified things so much is kinda throwing me off some.

What are you talking about links or combos?

It feels very much like Street Fighter. When you are working out how to play a new character in a 2d perspective fighting game, you see the distance of all your normals and throws then start looking for what combos together. Then move on to the specials and how you can maximize damage on combos or make an easy to execute combo or starter.

The rest is strategy and predicting what your enemy is going to do and how you will respond. The execution is usually the bit which really catches players but without the motion you can get to strategy way earlier as you have some confidence that your special or super will come out when you press the button.

Here is a video of a few combos that go from easiest to hardest for each character. The video is time stamped in Youtube.

• I think the thing is it's just a bit too much like Street Fighter. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy playing Street Fighter, but it's probably one of my least favorite fighters. I just find it sort of clunky and slow. That probably doesn't make sense to someone who knows what they're doing since they probably don't feel like that is the case but I'm just used to faster experiences like Smash or any of the Arc fighters. But even then I feel like it was easier to chain together attacks in Street Fighter than what I've played of Rising Thunder.
  • My favorite fighters are still

Soul Calibur 2
    Smash
    Bushido Blade 2
    Soul Calibur 3
  • Rym said:

My favorite fighters are still

Soul Calibur 2
    Smash
    Bushido Blade 2
    Soul Calibur 3

The original Bushido Blade is superior in every possible way to the sequel.