This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Real Life Cooking Mama: Share Your Cooking Projects!

Comments

• edited October 2010
    Recipe?
    Recipe. I've made a few of this guy's other recipes too and they were also tasty.
    Post edited by Ruffas on
    Biggest sweet potato fry ever.
  • That is some good lookin' BBQ noms.
  • That is some good lookin' BBQ noms.
    Yeah, it kicked ass. Central Steak in Albany. It was Restaurant Week there; you get a 3-course meal (appetizer, entree, dessert) for 18.95. That photo is the partly eaten entree.

That was a night full of bad but delicious ideas.
  • edited October 2010
    This is tomorrow night's dinner if I can figure out how to make rice well in a 1.5qt saucepan. Last time, that went straight to shit.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • edited October 2010
    Thisis tomorrow night's dinner if I can figure out how to make rice well in a 1.5qt saucepan. Last time, that went straight to shit.
    That's why I bought this baby.
    Zojirushi NS-LAC05 Micom 3-Cup Rice Cooker and Warmer, Stainless Steel
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • Thisis tomorrow night's dinner if I can figure out how to make rice well in a 1.5qt saucepan.
    What? Bring water to a boil, add rice, reduce heat to a simmer, cover tightly and leave it alone for 20 minutes. Taste++ if you use some amount of stock in place of water.
  • Thisis tomorrow night's dinner if I can figure out how to make rice well in a 1.5qt saucepan. Last time, that went straight to shit.
    2 parts water, 1 part rice. Bring the water to a boil and then add the rice and cook on the lowest heat your stove can generate until all the water is absorbed (20-25 minutes). If you don't have a lid for the sauce pan, I don't recommend this.
  • edited October 2010
    Thisis tomorrow night's dinner if I can figure out how to make rice well in a 1.5qt saucepan. Last time, that went straight to shit.
    That there be tasty food, though I personally preferred this version.

EDIT: What they said about rice, if you don't have a lid, use a plate.
    Post edited by Ruffas on
  • What? Bring water to a boil, add rice, reduce heat to a simmer, cover tightly and leave it alone for 20 minutes. Taste++ if you use some amount of stock in place of water.
    Yeah, no idea what I did wrong last time.

Also, anyone know of a tolerable substitute for Mirin? I'm 19, which means in Illinois I still can't buy a $5 bottle of Japanese cooking wine.
  • You probably can't buy cooking wine either can you? Maybe some chicken broth or something?
  • edited October 2010
    Nope. Nothing remotely alcoholic, no matter how unpalatable it would otherwise be. I'm going to have a friend buy some box wine for cooking usage, but that won't happen for a while.

I'll make some chicken bouillon up and whisk in a small quantity of balsamic vinegar to give it a sweet bite.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on

Made Yorkshire Puddings today with my meal. Medium-Well Burgers with Fresh, Swiss Cheese with a Mushroom-Rosemary Gravy. To the side, sauted leeks topped with fried shallots. Yummy.

Yorkshire puddings are kind of "Eh." when you eat them plain. But with the gravy? They are incredible. The brown ones, which were whole wheat, turned out better than the white ones. The white ones had a nice outside, but were kind of undercooked in the middle. A tad eggy. But, my brother adored them, so I'll be perfecting this recipe for a while. The biggest trick is controlling heat.
  • Swiss Cheese with a Mushroom-Rosemary Gravy. To the side, sauted leeks topped with fried shallots.
    oAo... yum.

Anyway guys, I need suggestions for a dinner-ish recipe using autumn ingredients. I was thinking something like cranberry beef, but I'm open. I'm going to the greenmarket today and I wanna get some good veggies to make a really nice fall dish. Much as I'd love to make a stew, my current situation is not good for stewing things... so anything but that!
  • edited October 2010
    Pork + caramelized apples or pears
    Roasted Chicken + pears (baked with the chicken)
    Pumpkin soup
    Post edited by MrRoboto on
  • Hamburger+ carrots+ cabbage+ onions+ red pepper flakes+ worcheshire sauce+ shell noodles = Decent bachelor chow. It could have used some tomatoes or hot sauce.

Simple but tasty Fish Stick Tacos:
    Fish sticks (avoid minced fish bits)
    Tortilla
    Cheese
    Spicy Southwest Ranch Dressing
    Lettuce and Tomatoes
  • Less words, moar pictures.
  • This thread is dangerous on an empty stomach.

My submission is Goulash. Beef, potatoes, carrots, onions, paprika, other spices. Yummy. I'm sure there are many recipes online. I prefer the actual stew kind. Also eat it with fresh french bread.
  • edited October 2010
    Less words, more pictures.
    I was slapped last time I said that. :P
    This thread is dangerous on an empty stomach.

My submission is Goulash. Beef, potatoes, carrots, onions, paprika, other spices. Yummy. I'm sure there are many recipes online. I prefer the actual stew kind. Also eat it with fresh french bread.
    Dangerous indeed.

I normally do Goulash with ~2lbs of hamburger, onions, mushrooms, and tomato sauce mixed with elbow noodles.
    Post edited by Wyatt on
  • Yesterday I made two hot dogs in the toaster oven. They were the last two left over from the summer.

Anyway, I know that's lame. What I want to ask is, what should I do with these buns? I had to buy a bag of 8 buns, and now I have 6 left. I'm not going to eat more hot dogs before they go bad. I need another use for them. Their shape makes them not so useful for sandwiches. They are potato bread buns, if that matters.
  • Yesterday I made two hot dogs in the toaster oven. They were the last two left over from the summer.

Anyway, I know that's lame. What I want to ask is, what should I do with these buns? I had to buy a bag of 8 buns, and now I have 6 left. I'm not going to eat more hot dogs before they go bad. I need another use for them. Their shape makes them not so useful for sandwiches. They are potato bread buns, if that matters.
    chop em', toast em', and use as croutons.
  • chop em', toast em', and use as croutons.
    Perfect! Instructions?
  • Dip in olive oil, add spices, cut, bake, success?
  • For fall, go for anything with a nice mirepoux. (Onion, Carrot, Celery and/or Leek). So, I'm going to suggestion a Lancashire Hotpot.

1 tablespoon olive oil
    1 and 1/2 diced or ground lamb or beef
    2 onions, peeled and sliced
    2 to 4 carrots, peeled and cut into chunky pieces
    1 large leek, or 2 medium leeks, white and green-ish white parts only, chopped. (Be sure to rinse these, leeks have a good amount of grit. Chop, then wash in strainer.
    2 Cups of Stock (For Lamb, go with Chicken or Lamb Stock. For Beef, Beef Stock)
    1 Tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
    2 Sprigs of Fresh Thyme. (And/Or Rosemary. You can't go wrong with herbs here)
    1 and 1/2 pounds of potatoes, peeled and cut into thin slices. Like, a couple millimeters thin.
    Butter
    Salt and Pepper to Taste.

Pre-heat the oven to 350*F. Set heat to medium, and heat the olive oil in a large skillet. Fry meat with some seasoning until browned on all sides. Remove with a slotted spoon to a large casserole dish (one with a lid) as it browns. Set aside.

Once all the meat it browned and removed from the skillet add the vegetables to the pan. Cook the vegetables until translucent, stirring them occasionally. (About 4 to 6 Minutes) Return the meat to the skillet and pour over the stock. Add the Worcestershire sauce and season to taste with salt and pepper. Tuck in the fresh herbs at this point, or add you dry herbs. (Fresh herbs can be wrapped in a makeshift paper-towel, if desired) Let the mixture simmer for about 10 minutes. Mix it all in well and then carefully pour the mixture back into the casserole dish

Cover the top of the mixture with a layer of half of the sliced potatoes. Season with salt and pepper and then dot with butter. Finish layering with the remaining potatoes and adding a final dusting of salt and pepper and dot once again with some butter. Put the lid on.

Bake in the heated oven for 1 1/2 hours. Remove the lid and bake for a further hour until the meat is very tender and the "thatch" is nicely browned in places and tender as well. Serve hot spooned out onto hot plates along with seasonal green vegetables on the side and plenty of crusty bread and butter to mop up the delicious juices.
    I'm looking for something more specific.
    I'm looking for something more specific.
    I've never made croutons. I'm sure there some decent recipes online.

Man, I ate some breakfast, and I'd rather have goulash right now. Damn this thread.
  • edited October 2010
    Post edited by MrRoboto on
  • Here
    I was hoping maybe for someone's special recipe that wasn't on the Internets.
  • Here
    I was hoping maybe for someone's special recipe that wasn't on the Internets.
    Uhh...their croutons. I don't know what kind of special you think there can be with them.
  • Meh, for croutons, it's mostly about what to use them with that requires the special recipe.