This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Real Life Cooking Mama: Share Your Cooking Projects!

Comments

• Goulash done! I actually made too much, but that's ok. I can eat this all weekend.

Hosted by imgur.com

2lbs beef
    2 green peppers
    1 sweet onion
    4 stalks of celery
    2 pkgs of cut mushrooms
    goulash mix
    corn starch to thicken
    more spices (paprika, beef bullion, bay leaves, rosemary, basil, pepper, garlic powder)

I plan on eating this with fresh baked french bread. Perfect for a cold rainy day.
  • I obtained some tube polenta at the grocery store, and it is the business. Fry it in butter, serve with sriracha? BAM.
  • My Tuscan Beef Stew
  • edited October 2010
    My Tuscan Beef Stew
    That is some thick bacon man. Did you slice that yourself? Is it even bacon? Loin of megalodon?
    Post edited by GroverBomb on
  • edited October 2010
    That is some thick bacon man. Did you slice that yourself? Is it even bacon? Loin of megalodon?
    It's Pancetta.
    Post edited by Andrew on
  • Panchetta.
    RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

It's "pancetta." There's no fucking "h." RARGH ITALIAN VIKING SMASH!!!!!!

P.S. OMG your stew looks amazing.

P.S. Thanks! It certainly was tasty.
  • I'm making the croutons. The only problem is that I don't have a strainer to separate the garlic from the oil. Should I just toss the garlic in, or is there another strategy? Maybe just use a shield to keep the garlic in a bowl as I pour out the oil?
  • edited October 2010
    Sautee the garlic and herbs briefly to flavor the oil. Skim out the garlic and whatnots with a fork or slotted spoon, and proceed to sautee the croutons.

Pardon my lack of accent marks.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • I'm making the croutons. The only problem is that I don't have a strainer to separate the garlic from the oil. Should I just toss the garlic in, or is there another strategy? Maybe just use a shield to keep the garlic in a bowl as I pour out the oil?
    Wafer thin garlic makes awesome garlic chips.
    You can always use your teeth. Nothing like a good, oily garlic swish.
    Why not leave them in? If you did all ingredients at the same time, you wouldn't risk burning the garlic. And MrRoboto's dead on about chips. Crunchy garlic is treasure.
  • OMG I just made some Crème caramel (flan) but placed huge chunks of vanilla pound cake inside the cups as to make a kind of custard-cake-caramel sauce bread pudding hybrid... it is delicious
  • I keep reading Neko Ramen and it makes me crave ramen. I really wish there was some local Japanese restaurant that specializes in ramen like in the manga.

Well I made some basic ramen, added green onion, hard boiled egg, chicken hot dog, mushrooms, dried veggies, and extra ramen spicy flavor packet.

Hosted by imgur.com

It's basic easy peasy, but it really hit the spot. I wish I had fish cake, but hot dogs sufficed.

What does everyone else like in their ramen?
  • Ro, I have a feeling you might dig this. It's definitely the coolest cookbook I own.
  • What does everyone else like in their ramen?
    Chicken or crab flavored stock, Char Siu, a hard boiled egg, and chives.
  • What does everyone else like in their ramen?
    Peanut Butter. (closest approximation to the recipe I use)
  • edited November 2010
    I'm going to start using a better stock (or maybe dashi) and ramen bricks and just skipping the flavor packets. I'm a big fan of chives, poached egg, and sriracha, myself. Sugar snaps, hot dog/Nippon sausages, shiitakes, and fish cake or surimi are good, too.
  • Peanut Butter.
    And I thought my idea to use peanut butter to make peanut sauce was daft. That's rather close to what I ended up making last year too.
  • Ro, I have a feeling you might digthis.It's definitely the coolest cookbook I own.
    I will have to acquire this book. Thanks.
  • I made Linguine alla Carbonara tonight, however it didn't come out quite right. I think I added too much cheese to the egg sauce. When it was added to the pasta it didn't quite become creamy, rather clumping up and looking rather like the egg was cooked through (which may have been due to me also adding the sauce too quickly). Luckily, I still have enough of the ingredients to try again in the near future, so hopefully I'll get it right next time.
  • @Andrew, in terms of your creamy carbonara, I think that depends on what kinds of thickeners you use. I go egg yolks only, and depending of the ratio you use for sauce to pasta, it can vary. I don't think there's a limit on how much cheese you can use (Best using Parmasean or Pecorino) Even though it looks like it's just attached to the pasta, if it tastes good, that's the important thing.

So I made another gelato, using these ingredients... (And a small, beer related shout-out)

The great bits of flavors (White chocolate and extra orange liqueur missing)

End result! (HOLY MOTHER, COOOOOOOLD)

I think in terms of the gelato, it came out great, it's still thick, just a tad too liquidity even out of the ice cream machine. I think my biggest flaw was that I used a liqueur that was 40% Proof, when I wanted to use one that was 15% Proof. It's lighter, but it's much easier to get the flavor of the fruit into the dessert without problem.
  • Made katsudon for dinner tonight and I was damn sure I'd botched it, but it actually turned out really good (the sauce especially) , if not so pretty.
  • Peanut Butter.
    And I thought my idea to use peanut butter to make peanut sauce was daft. That's rather close to what I ended up making last year too.
    Mine uses chicken and Broccoli, brown sugar instead of normal, no lemon juice, and more peanut butter and more soy.

So basically, an entirely different recipe. :P
  • Here's a cooking failure - I had to point out that just because My sister like basil pesto, does not mean that dumping an entire 350 gram jar of it into pasta is something everyone will like. And by everyone, I mean anyone but her.
  • Update on that Gelato, I LOOOOOOOVE making the stuff. I made a new kind, using bittersweet chocolate and some of that orange liqueur and orange peel. Really good, rich taste. Orange and chocolate have a really nice, contrasting flavor that works well together. I strained it this time, so it had a thinner consistency, but it was really good stuff. It basically mimic'd the texture of Wendy's Frosties. I'm thinking about making other versions of the recipe....

-A Mint Chocolate, using Andes Baking Chocolates and Creme de Menthe.
    -A version with Blue Curacao...still tinkering.
    -A chai-flavored gelato, using anise, cinnamon, vanilla, clove, ginger and seeping tea bags in the milk. I'm still curious on how to handle it, but I really want to make it.
  • edited November 2010
    Chorizo served with homemade chimichurri sauce. Plated with slices of Manchego and a bundle of grapes. Not complete without some Argentinian wine.
    Post edited by Andrew on
  • edited November 2010
    Chorizo
    Manchego
    "Man, Andrew's got fantastic taste..."
    Argentinian wine.

I recommend Tinto Pesquera alongside any sausage+manchego combo. It is heartbreakingly good.
  • I looked for Spanish wine, but they didn't have any in the discount wine shelf at Whole Foods.
  • Chorizo
    Manchego
    "Man, Andrew's got fantastic taste..."
    Argentinianwine.

I recommend Tinto Pesquera alongside any sausage+manchego combo. It is heartbreakingly good.
    Well, it's basically a spruced up version of Choripan, so Argentinian wine is proper.
  • Well, it's basically a spruced up version of Choripan, so Argentinian wine is proper.
    Exactly, I used to have this meal all the time with some neighbors who were from Uruguay.