This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Real Life Cooking Mama: Share Your Cooking Projects!

Comments

• Uhh...their croutons. I don't know what kind of special you think there can be with them.
    So many possible flavors. Garlic/butter, ranch, spicy, tomato, many kinds of peppering.
  • Uhh...their croutons. I don't know what kind of special you think there can be with them.
    So many possible flavors. Garlic/butter, ranch, spicy, tomato, many kinds of peppering.
    Add them all together to make Ultra Crouton!
  • Add them all together to make Ultra Crouton!
    I don't think it works that way.
    I know. Well decide what you think you're going to use them for and stick with that flavor. I personally like garlic and cheese flavored croutons.
    I know. Well decide what you think you're going to use them for and stick with that flavor. I personally like garlic and cheese flavored croutons.
    What do you use croutons for besides salad? Well, Rym uses them as snacks and eats them straight up, but that doesn't count.
  • What do you use croutons for besides salad? Well, Rym uses them as snacks and eats them straight up, but that doesn't count.
    Soup.
  • To Scott, I rely on this man when I'm dead on ideas. Maybe this recipe will interest you.

• Foodwishes is the greatest food/recipe blog. Ever.
  • Foodwishes is the greatest food/recipe blog. Ever.
    True dat. And I've made about, 5 of his recipes. All amazing.
  • Anybody have this "Artisan Bread in 5 Minutes a Day" book?

Thing has changed my life.
  • edited October 2010
    Anybody have this "Artisan Bread in 5 Minutes a Day" book?

Thing has changed my life.
    I'm considering buying that and a cast iron dutch oven because I can't get good bread in walking distance and I don't feel like biking to town to buy bread.

Man, I want to bake some demi-baguettes. And cornbread.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
    How about Bread Pudding? Use a full-fat milk, eggs, bread and sugar. For flavor, go either spices, chocolate, fruit, or all of the above. I prefer citrus and spice. Bake at 350 for about an hour. It's a good way to use up bits of left over bread and fruit, and doesn't require the precision of real baking. I've got some left over pumpkin I can work into one tonight. Would love to hear what you come up with.
  • I'm not going to discourage you from getting a dutch oven and maybe making some bread in it sometimes, but what you really want if you're gonna bake a lot is a pizza stone and a baker's peel.

If you don't want to shell out fifty bucks on a Pampered Chef stone, you can go to the hardware store and buy a stack of unglazed ceramic tiles for a few bucks, then wash 'em and lay 'em out in the oven for the same effect.

But yeah, check out the book. It sounds gimmicky but it's good stuff. You don't need to buy it if you just want the basic plan, though - it can be summed up as follows:

Mix 6 cups water, 3 tbsp salt, 3 tbsp yeast, and 13 cups unbleached all-purpose flour in a bowl. Cover and allow to rise in the bowl or in a large lidded container. The dough should be pretty wet and sticky. After two hours, refrigerate the dough. When you want bread, tear off a grapefruit-sized chunk of dough, cover it with flour, gently form it into a ball (or a cylinder, or a ring, or a pretzel, or whatever) keeping it well floured on the outside, and let it rest for half an hour on top of some cornmeal. Preheat the oven to 450 for 20 minutes (pizza stone inside). Slash the top of the loaf then slide it onto the pizza stone. Pour a cup of water into a broiling pan on the oven rack under the stone, for steam. Bake for 35 minutes. Pull out, let cool, eat. Continue until you've used all the dough. Make more dough and repeat FOREVER. Variation include gently rolling out the risen dough into tubes to make baguettes, then brushing them with water before you put them in the oven to get a crunchy french bread crust.

The book contains a lot more recipes with different dough variations, which is nice because sometimes you want to vary the resting or cooking time or the temperature for different dough compositions and it already has that stuff figured out.
  • Peel, stone, rack, pizza cutter for $30.

This idea is enticing.
    That is hella cheap. Reviews say the stone doesn't hold up well under high heat, which includes most things you'd want to bake. YGWYPF.

If money's an issue, you might as well try the unglazed tiles thing.
    How about Bread Pudding? Use a full-fat milk, eggs, bread and sugar. For flavor, go either spices, chocolate, fruit, or all of the above. I prefer citrus and spice. Bake at 350 for about an hour. It's a good way to use up bits of left over bread and fruit, and doesn't require the precision of real baking. I've got some left over pumpkin I can work into one tonight. Would love to hear what you come up with.
    I was going to say bread pudding as well, but I think that potato bread buns wouldn't really make good bread pudding.
  • Nice suggestions from some of you up there! I love Foodwishes too. I'd forgotten about him for a while, actually.

I've been making a lot of pies and taking their pictures lately, but I haven't uploaded them. I'll do that sometime soon, and you'll all wish you were my friend (unless you are.)
  • edited October 2010
    I've been making a lot of pies
    How come I have not eaten any of these pies?
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • Perhaps you are not deserving of the pies?
  • Perhaps you are not deserving of the pies?
    Or no one loves Scott.
  • edited October 2010
    I was going to say bread pudding as well, but I think that potato bread buns wouldn't really make good bread pudding.
    Depends on the type of potato bread I guess. A commercial, American-style potato bread I think would work fine. It's similar enough to white bread and would just make a nicer golden color in the end, I think. I used to use potato bread for french toast, which also goes with the sweet or savory that would be in bread puddings.

Now sweet potato bread - that's where it's at.
    I've been making a lot of pies
    Sweet potato pie?
    Post edited by GroverBomb on
  • How come I have not eaten any of these pies?
    Come on over! :o (Except tonight, I have buttkicking to do tonight.)
    Sweet potato pie?
    :[ This must be done.
  • Butternut Squash Pies just as epic.
  • Butternut squash pie or Sweet potato pie would be something my dear fiancee would not eat, so when I make those I will need some help.
  • Yorkshire puddings are kind of "Eh." when you eat them plain. But with the gravy? They are incredible.
    You know what makes them even better? Traditional yorkshire style, and put some drippings from your roast on that shit. I NEVER WANT TO EAT ANYTHING ELSE AGAIN.
  • edited October 2010
    Yorkshire puddings are kind of "Eh." when you eat them plain. But with the gravy? They are incredible.
    You know what makes them even better? Traditional yorkshire style, and put some drippings from your roast on that shit. I NEVER WANT TO EAT ANYTHING ELSE AGAIN.
    That definitely would of made them better. I use a really simple recipe for the puddings, but I line the pans with about 1/2 a teaspoon of butter. I was originally going to make the burgers on like, a Foreman Grill where the fat drips into a container, my brother insisted on doing it on the cast-iron pan. For the next recipe I try, I'm only using whole wheat, adding one less egg, and adding salt. (I flavored the puddings with parsley and onion powder)
    Post edited by Nukerjsr on
  • edited October 2010
    I was originally going to make the burgers on like, a Foreman Grill where the fat drips into a container, my brother insisted on doing it on the cast-iron pan. For the next recipe I try, I'm only using whole wheat, adding one less egg, and adding salt. (I flavored the puddings with parsley and onion powder)
    It works best with roast drippings - it's what they were made for - however, your idea is highly sound, and damned if modifying recipies is fun when you're just seeing what happens when you do.

Question - are you making your gravy from your pan, or are you using packet gravy?
    Post edited by Churba on
  • I was originally going to make the burgers on like, a Foreman Grill where the fat drips into a container, my brother insisted on doing it on the cast-iron pan. For the next recipe I try, I'm only using whole wheat, adding one less egg, and adding salt. (I flavored the puddings with parsley and onion powder)
    It works best with roast drippings - it's what they were made for - however, your idea is highly sound, and damned if modifying recipies is fun when you're just seeing what happens when you do.

Question - are you making your gravy from your pan, or are you using packet gravy?
    Gravy in the pan, of course. Usually, it's hard to be customizable with certain recipes, because you put so much work into getting the ingredients or you use a large variety, but I can make the puddings rather easily and without worry towards cost.
  • Gravy in the pan, of course. Usually, it's hard to be customizable with certain recipes, because you put so much work into getting the ingredients or you use a large variety, but I can make the puddings rather easily and without worry towards cost.
    You say of course, but you never know - If I'm at a barbecue, I'll whip up packet gravy with spices and bullion cubes, then thicken that fucker up, rather than try to make it on the barbecue plate. But Easy, cheap recipes are win - The reason I eat so much bread, is because I keep making tons of bread - trying different ideas at improving the bread, or making different flavours of bread.
  • Gonna make a Tuscan Beef Stew tonight. Also, cookstr is an awesome website for recipes.