This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Real Life Cooking Mama: Share Your Cooking Projects!

Comments

• I made some drumsticks using a recipe from the Internets.
    and?
  • and?
    That's it.
  • I think he was wondering if it was delicious. Looks good. I just get leary with making anything with an orange sauce because it ends up being too strong.
  • I think he was wondering if it was delicious.
    Quite. Emote a little Scott.
  • Yeha, it was pretty good. If I did it again, I would remove skin first. I'm always torn about whether to keep or remove skin. Skin tastes really good, but it also prevents flavorful things from touching the meat. So when the skin falls off, so does most of the non-meat flavoring. Sauce was not too strong. The honey and soy actually is stronger than the orange.

Also, I baked cookies today, but that's the same as always.
  • Yeha, it was pretty good. If I did it again, I would remove skin first. I'm always torn about whether to keep or remove skin. Skin tastes really good, but it also prevents flavorful things from touching the meat. So when the skin falls off, so does most of the non-meat flavoring. Sauce was not too strong. The honey and soy actually is stronger than the orange.
    You could try eating it with the skin. That's my preferred method of chicken leg ingestion. Skin is a tricky thing though, because you can remove it, but then you have to worry about the meat drying out.
  • You could try eating it with the skin.
    I did eat it with the skin this time. But like I said, once the skin fell off, most of the sauce was gone with it.

Also, I baked cookies today, but that's the same as always.
    Problem is skinless chicken can easily turn into DRY chicken, you could try and separate the skin from the flesh and rub some spices inside.
  • @Scott: Try a Flavor Injector.

They're good for chicken, turkey and roasts.
    I can't believe that's a real thing.
    I can't believe that's a real thing.
    Ditto. It's a brilliant idea, however.
  • Actually, brining the meat might not be a bad idea either.
  • I can't believe that's a real thing.
    imageimage

Yeah... They look like old lab equipment.
  • I have just consumed vegangiving dinner.

A lentil-brown rice loaf (like meatloaf) with cashew gravy; a quinoa and garbanzo tahini salad; fresh pain d'epi bread with a black truffle pâté; a savory soyeast and caramelized onion rice dish that was halfway between a pilaf and a risotto; and a pumpkin pie made with cashew and avocado.

It was all astonishingly, surpassingly delicious. Success!
    They're good for chicken, turkey and roasts.
    I could be wrong, but puncturing the meat will only leave more holes from where the juices can exit, and all the stuff you inject into it will come out the holes once the juices start flowing out.
  • I could be wrong, but puncturing the meat will only leave more holes from where the juices can exit, and all the stuff you inject into it will come out the holes once the juices start flowing out.
    I wasn't planning to puncture the meat, but to squirt under the skin.
  • You could also collect the sauce in a bowl and simply dip the chicken in it as you eat it.
  • You could also collect the sauce in a bowl and simply dip the chicken in it as you eat it.
    Simply dipping is far different from cooking something with the sauce on it. I'm sure you've known this. I'm a huge fan of bake stuff with sauce on it as it gets that pesky water out of the way and tending to reduce it to the yummy sauce bits. =D
  • BRINE your mothafuckin' meats, foo! Makes 'em tender and juicy while allowing the flavors in the brine to permeate the meat.
  • edited November 2010
    Question to anyone...has anyone here brined a turkey? Me and my brother want to brine a turkey first before baking it. My brother actually said after you bake it, if you cut into it too early, juice will burst out everywhere. We probably won't be able to cook it on Thanksgiving day itself, but I have enough points at my supermarket chain to get one for free.

Also, thinking about making a stuffing in it. Cornbread, Andouille, Mirepoux. Sound good?

EDIT: Wow, I've been ninja'd in a way. XD
    Post edited by Nukerjsr on
  • If you're worried about drying out skinless chicken, use a yogurt or buttermilk-based marinade. The acidity will keep it moist and tender. Tandoori chicken is good shit.
  • edited November 2010
    BRINE your mothafuckin' meats, foo!
    what do you mean, brine?

EDIT: nevermind, I can't really add that level of salt to things I cook now. :(
    Post edited by George Patches on
  • Question to anyone...has anyone here brined a turkey? Me and my brother want to brine a turkey first before baking it. My brother actually said after you bake it, if you cut into it too early, juice will burst out everywhere. We probably won't be able to cook it on Thanksgiving day itself, but I have enough points at my supermarket chain to get one for free.

Also, thinking about making a stuffing in it. Cornbread, Andouille, Mirepoux. Sound good?

EDIT: Wow, I've been ninja'd in a way. XD
    Let the meat rest 5 minutes at least to let the juices set back in, a bit more time if you can.
  • edited November 2010
    Spent the day making pounds upon pounds of my family's four generation old artisanal candy. It's a toffee chocolate crunch coated with pecans.
    Post edited by Andrew on
  • pecans
    Just curious, how do people pronounce pecan? I find myself saying peecan pie and pcon everything else.
  • Just curious, how do people pronounce pecan? I find myself saying peecan pie and pcon everything else.
    I'm from Texas, the land of PEE-can, and I still know it's pronounced pəh-CAHN.
  • I say pee-can loudly and proudly.
  • I say Peh-Cahn, but I shall happily also say that I will incorporate them into my life now, after eating that fudge-pecan pie. Not sure why, but as a kid, I never liked nuts. Something about those really tiny, hard nuts I can't stand. But I love cashews, almonds and pecans. They just need to make nuts in sour-cream and onion flavors.

Also? Holy crap, Lamb is incredible...we got a 4.5 boneless leg for Saturday, rubbed it in herbs and garlic, with a few holes in to shove it in. And it was roasted for 2 1/2 to 3 hours, and damn amazing. It had the best juices too...so making it again, even for non-family gatherings.

• Also? Holy crap, Lamb is incredible...we got a 4.5 boneless leg for Saturday, rubbed it in herbs and garlic, with a few holes in to shove it in. And it was roasted for 2 1/2 to 3 hours, and damn amazing. It had the best juices too...so making it again, even for non-family gatherings.
    you know what makes it amazing? Fat.