This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Real Life Cooking Mama: Share Your Cooking Projects!

Comments

• Hahahaha. To be fair, they are ok. Too salty for my liking.

Lost all credibility.
    HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!
  • edited April 2012
    Lost all credibility.

Broke even.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • Hahahaha. To be fair, they are ok. Too salty for my liking.
    Yeah, but... he liked it! He said it improves the flavor.

• Salt does improve flavor...
  • It does! Understand that Taco Bell tacos are crap, so just about anything improves the flavor.
  • edited April 2012
    It does! Understand that Taco Bell tacos are crap, so just about anything improves the flavor.
    Deep fried dorito taco, plus toppings.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • edited April 2012

Now you have the perfect chicken parmesan.
    Well, I made Chicken Parm following Andrew's recipe and I have to say it was quite excellent. I did substitute dried basil for fresh & probably used a tiny bit too much cheese.

Post edited by Reol on
  • There any tasty/clever uses for the brine once my boiled peanuts finish tomorrow? I'm unleashing them on a crowd of foreigners tomorrow and I'm really looking forward to their reactions. The few I've already talked to seemed well taken aback at the idea that one could boil peanuts.
  • probably used a tiny bit too much cheese.

NO SUCH THING!
  • There any tasty/clever uses for the brine once my boiled peanuts finish tomorrow? I'm unleashing them on a crowd of foreigners tomorrow and I'm really looking forward to their reactions. The few I've already talked to seemed well taken aback at the idea that one could boil peanuts.
    Try it as a chaser to whiskey.

• That sounds like a horrible idea...

...I'll try it with rum instead
  • edited April 2012
    That sounds like a horrible idea...

I like the sound of that.

Post edited by Churba on
  • That sounds like a horrible idea...

I like the sound of that.
    For the record: peanut brine; good in peanuts, bad in shots.
  • You think you know lamb? Fuck you, you don't know lamb. You think you know potatoes? Fuck you, you don't know potatoes.

• Cease mocking my tater knowledge and spill your spud secrets!
  • edited May 2012
    Peel and slice six large potatoes into thin, circular rounds (my flatmate was sous chef and bollocksed that bit up). A mandolin is ideal for this; the best Dauphinoise potatoes are just a bit thicker than potato chips. They should hold their shape and not "flop."

Place the slices into cold water as you go so they don't brown. Strain the potatoes and rinse them, and then play them in a clean mixing bowl. Add 500-600mL double cream, two tbsp crushed garlic, and salt and pepper to taste to the potato slices. Mix thoroughly with your hands, and then add to a wide, deep gratin dish, ensuring that the cream covers all but the surface of the slices; they should be in well-compressed layers, buffered by the cream.

Bake at 160C for 1.5hrs, or until potatoes are soft throughout. If the cream on top begins to harden and crack, turn down your heat.

Voila: Dauphinoise potatoes.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • Making salsa tonight. I'll take pictures and report my alchemical discoveries.
  • What type of salsa are you making?
  • Lost all credibility.
    That's the photo they show the jury that seals the guilty verdict some day.

• You think you know lamb? Fuck you, you don't know lamb. You think you know potatoes? Fuck you, you don't know potatoes
    You sir, can fuck off.
  • Gonna give this one to WuB.
  • Yeah, his pile of meat and taters is by far the prettier.
  • edited May 2012
    Amateurs.
    I have MASTERED lamb. I have caused it to transcend its mortal form.
    Post edited by TheWhaleShark on
  • I could do lamb pastrami if I had the tools. As it stands, I'm just not equipped to do it right now. Also, George gets points for a leg with a Frenched bone (and the +10 Lamb Bonus for being a fellow member of a Mediterranean family), but those potatoes are too plain, dawg. And no incisions for garlic and rosemary? I shiggity giggity.

You know what? Fuck it. I'm building that smokehouse I've been talking about and making Country Lamb. Me am play gods.
  • edited May 2012
    I could do lamb pastrami if I had the tools. As it stands, I'm just not equipped to do it right now. Also, George gets points for a leg with a Frenched bone (and the +10 Lamb Bonus for being a fellow member of a Mediterranean family), but those potatoes are too plain, dawg. And no incisions for garlic and rosemary? I shiggity giggity.
    Those potatoes cook in lamb fat. ~_^

EDIT: And they're covered with olive oil, lemon, and oregano.
    Post edited by George Patches on
  • I could do lamb pastrami if I had the tools. As it stands, I'm just not equipped to do it right now. Also, George gets points for a leg with a Frenched bone (and the +10 Lamb Bonus for being a fellow member of a Mediterranean family), but those potatoes are too plain, dawg. And no incisions for garlic and rosemary? I shiggity giggity.

You know what? Fuck it. I'm building that smokehouse I've been talking about and making Country Lamb. Me am play gods.
    I'm making two country hams right now. I'll let you know how they turn out.

• Hmmm. Let's just end this bickering and declare ourselves the FRCF Triumvirate of Lamb Masters. I have no quarrel with Greek potatoes and lamb pastrami.

Pete, what did you use to cure that pastrami? Pink salt in the brine?
  • edited May 2012
    Fuck yeah, proper Paella pans at aldi starting soon, I'm looking well forward to grabbing one or two. They're normally so fucking expensive. Not to mention the ceramic knives they have up this week, which are pretty decent.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • Awwwwww yeah, paelleras. Been meaning to get a huge one for the house.