This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Real Life Cooking Mama: Share Your Cooking Projects!

Comments

• Awwwwww yeah, paelleras. Been meaning to get a huge one for the house.
    I'm just getting one roughly the same size as my weber, and that I can reasonably hang over a fire - about enough to serve four or five people. It's really hard to heat them evenly, and if you don't heat them evenly, it's not so good, you know?
  • Hmmm. Let's just end this bickering and declare ourselves the FRCF Triumvirate of Lamb Masters. I have no quarrel with Greek potatoes and lamb pastrami.
    Deal, your potatoes were pretty boss.
  • Hmmm. Let's just end this bickering and declare ourselves the FRCF Triumvirate of Lamb Masters. I have no quarrel with Greek potatoes and lamb pastrami.

Pete, what did you use to cure that pastrami? Pink salt in the brine?
    I do dry cures - I prefer the texture and somewhat more intense flavor.

And yes, pink salt. Prague powder #1: 6.25% sodium nitrite. 1 gram per pound is my preferred rate for most things. Comes out to about 130 PPM incoming nitrite.

• edited May 2012
    It's really hard to heat them evenly, and if you don't heat them evenly, it's not so good, you know?
    Dude, I'm Spanish by way of Valencia (my grandfather was born there). Believe me, I know. I can't imagine the sort of paella mixta you could get going in Australia, though--all that seafood, plus exotic meats...Kangaroo paella? My mouth waters at the thought.

I'm going to make it a mission to master paella this summer and have a giant poolside paella party. Doing it for the honor of my forefathers.
    I do dry cures - I prefer the texture and somewhat more intense flavor.

And yes, pink salt. Prague powder #1: 6.25% sodium nitrite. 1 gram per pound is my preferred rate for most things. Comes out to about 130 PPM incoming nitrite.
    Hmmm, sounds interesting, I'll give that a go. Do you steam it like you would a standard beef pastrami?

I really need to work on my charcuterie. There's a gourmet supermarket downtown that also deals in exotic meats. Maybe I'll get a slab of kangaroo and make 'Roostrami.

Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • edited May 2012
    It's really hard to heat them evenly, and if you don't heat them evenly, it's not so good, you know?
    Dude, I'm Spanish by way of Valencia (my grandfather was born there). Believe me, I know.
    Sorry, it's a rhetorical question, just another verbal flourish that doesn't translate to text.
    Kangaroo paella? My mouth waters at the thought.
    Holly fuck, that's brilliant. I should do that.

I've had kangaroo thin strip steak pizza, too, goddamn that's good.

Post edited by Churba on
  • edited May 2012
    @WUB: Well, I hot smoke it to doneness, and the starting cut was boneless leg. The smoking is slow and moist enough that there's no need for a wet re-heating method.

Also, as I said, I like the slightly drier texture this method gives. It's meatier than other pastramis. I'll post my exact recipe later.
    Post edited by TheWhaleShark on
  • Pete's meat is so intense it upsets my stomach.
    It is not for the weak, that's for sure.

• edited May 2012

This video was getting very popular on the Internets, so I made it. I tried to be exactly the same except:

He had his mushrooms and tomatoes on low heat. My low heat is way lower than his low heat. I turned it up to low-medium. They didn't sizzle as much as they did in the video, but tasted great.

I couldn't get creme fraische, so I used sour cream.

I didn't have that kind of spatula that is also heat resistant. I just ordered one on Amazon.

The pan I used for eggs was no-stick, but the eggs kinda stuck.

I didn't have sourdough bread, so I used an everything english muffin.

Verdict: OMG AMAZINGNESS. No Pics 'cause I ate it all so fast. I will pic next time. This is the first time I've ever cooked anything in my house that tasted as good as or better than fancy restaurant. I'm not kidding. I think I'm going to make this almost every morning. I'll take pics tomorrow, if I can keep myself from eating it.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • Gordon's egg-scrambling technique reigns supreme. It's egg butter. What's not to love?
  • edited May 2012
    Don't forget his Omlette technique.

Post edited by Churba on
  • Gordon's egg-scrambling technique reigns supreme. It's egg butter. What's not to love?
    The arterial plaques. But no one wants to live forever.

• edited May 2012
    Gordon's egg-scrambling technique reigns supreme. It's egg butter. What's not to love?
    They don't?
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • edited May 2012
    Gordon's egg-scrambling technique reigns supreme. It's egg butter. What's not to love?
    They don't?
    Ideally, I'd like to live for somewhere from 500-1000 years. I think after a while I'd grow bored, upload my consciousness into an AI framework, and then kill myself to find out what death is like.

Shame we won't have telomeric controls and biological life extension in our lifetime.
    It's only 1tbsp of butter. You eat more than that when a restaurant brings you some bread.
  • Had Goat for the first time today, in the form of Homemade Braised Goat Shanks.

Seared the outside of the goat, with a bed of primarily leeks, shallots, carrots and garlic. Liquid was a combo of red wine, vinegar, Worcestershire, and water. After three hours, I got some pretty tasty food, and made a gravy from the leftover vegetables and liquid blended together.

The goat had that gamey/rich taste like lamb, but being a shank it had the savory, delicious fatty taste of oxtail. Such a wonderful combo, can't wait to get more goat.

• Did you break open the bones and suck out the delicious marrow?
    It's only 1tbsp of butter. You eat more than that when a restaurant brings you some bread.
    I know. I was referring to the smooth, creamy texture that you get from the technique. It's the only way to make scrambled eggs.

• I could do lamb pastrami if I had the tools. As it stands, I'm just not equipped to do it right now. Also, George gets points for a leg with a Frenched bone (and the +10 Lamb Bonus for being a fellow member of a Mediterranean family), but those potatoes are too plain, dawg. And no incisions for garlic and rosemary? I shiggity giggity.

You know what? Fuck it. I'm building that smokehouse I've been talking about and making Country Lamb. Me am play gods.
    I'm making two country hams right now. I'll let you know how they turn out.

Country ham = win. I'd let them hang even longer next time - from January to September at least.

Lamb should take less time because of its size.

• I wonder if I can smoke a whole lamb. Get a cleaned one from Greektown and do the initial cure in a giant Rubbermaid container.
  • Did you break open the bones and suck out the delicious marrow?
    Absolutely. So fucking good.

• Dem eggs. I'm still trying to get them just right. The eggs themselves were slightly underocooked this time, but still tasted amazing. I tried medium/low heat on the vegetables instead of low this time, but it still wasn't enough. Just going to go full medium next time. By the way, next time is tomorrow.
  • edited June 2012
    Making a pot of Ramsay's Scramble for breakfast with the flat tomorrow. Fifteen eggs. Goose fat instead of butter. Bow down before your Egg God, forums.

Tonight is one of my flatmate's last night in the flat, so my buddy and I (the flat roasters) have orchestrated a magnificent roast:

Two Slow-Roasted Scottish Hens with Pork and Sage Stuffing and Herbs de Provence
    Dauphinoise Potatoes
    Goose Fat Roasted Potatoes, Parsnips, and Carrots
    Four-Leaf Garden Salad With Balsamic Vinegrette

The chickens take almost no prep, since they're sold stuffed and rubbed at Tesco, but the trick is the roasting method, to get the skin crispy and the meat fall-apart moist. We'll be rubbing them with some Herbs de Provence to add some extra flavor.
  • As soon as I get a replacement smoker (yay for grease fires!) I'ma hot smoke me some salmon. I did a small batch that I salted (~4% sea salt, or 2/3 oz. per pound) and hot smoked using mesquite and oak.

Oak-smoked fish = totally fucking awesome.
  • Shit, I have some duck fat (Not enough for potatoes), I should make the Ramsay-style eggs again.
  • Higher heat for the vegetables. Slightly more cooking on the egg. I have perfected it.
  • Once again Gordon has shown me I know nothing.

Grating the onions? Why didn't I think of that???
  • So there was no duck breast at my grocery store. Only whole frozen duck. Good to know, but I'm not defrosting a duck tonight.

So I got some chicken thighs. Armed with the USDA charts of 7.0log10 lethality of bacteria I'm going to make me some succulent chicken.
  • I'm trying to figure out how to go about making some really awesome tacos for a game night. Ideally a couple different varieties, at least one vegetarian option. Right now I'm thinking lechon or pulled pork, and lamb or goat, and something veg appropriate. I need to find some appropriate recipes though, if anyone has any suggestions. Things I can do in a pressure cooker may be slightly preferable, but that's not necessary or anything.