This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Real Life Cooking Mama: Share Your Cooking Projects!

Comments

• I spent my day making Stock, in the style of Vietnamese Pho. I think I cooked the stock for about 8 hours, using a wide array of spices/aromatics and about four pounds of Oxtail. So what did I do when everything was done?

Oxtail Risotto. Fuck yeah.
  • I made tuna salad sammiches tonight to go with tomato basil soup. I really like adding pesto and dried cranberries to the mix along with spices. I would normally add green onions, but the bf cannot handle such awesomeness.

PUMPKIN JUICE!!!! If this goes well, then there will be some pumpkin soda.

Coq au Vin, made it for the first time. I know it doesn't really have beans in it, but I just had these leftover cannellini beans and wanted to use them. Amazing...was able to flavor chicken, beans, mushrooms, onions, all from the power of bacon fat and wine. It was just...comfort food.
  • Okay, I got a new stand mixer after it was on sale at Amazon. I'm really itching to try out some desserts and breads.

I want to slowly make an ascension, making pizza doughs, pies, and hopefully one day get to really hard desserts like macarons. Can anyone give me some suggestions for quick or quirky things to make?
  • Okay, I got a new stand mixer after it was on sale at Amazon. I'm really itching to try out some desserts and breads.

I want to slowly make an ascension, making pizza doughs, pies, and hopefully one day get to really hard desserts like macarons. Can anyone give me some suggestions for quick or quirky things to make?
    http://allrecipes.com/recipe/suspiro-limeno/ It only uses the mixer to whip the egg whites for the topping, but it's really good eats if you have a sweet tooth.
  • Scott's curry post made me want curry so bad.

Luckily I had some left over curry roux. I did something similar to what scott did but I added a few things. It had no heat so I took some Chinese yellow curry, put it in the oil as it was being heated in my wok. I also added some chopped purple, yellow and white potatoes from the farmer's market. It was sooooo yummy.
  • So I went to the grocery store. And I see some limited edition Mint and Dark Chocolate Toll House chips. This happened.

• Made chicken cordon bleu for dinner. I'm also about 10 min out from completing the pumpkin to pie conversion process. The pie is pretty much all from scratch too.
  • Making a blueberry pie tomorrow for my mom. Its the only pie she wants for Thanksgiving. Also I am going to make greenbean cassarole with bacon, artichokes and cheese!!! Mmmmm! Pics will follow!
  • The pie is pretty much all from scratch too.
    I can never get my universe to turn out right when I make a pie from scratch. Glenn Beck, Bill O'Reilly, and Ann Coulter always end up existing. Now I just buy premade pie crusts.
  • Scott, your enormous pictures make my browser chug. 2 megapixels is quite sufficient for the internet.
    I can never get my universe to turn out right when I make a pie from scratch. Glenn Beck, Bill O'Reilly, and Ann Coulter always end up existing. Now I just buy premade pie crusts.
    You're using too little oil. It's making the whole thing too flaky.

You're using too little oil. It's making the whole thing too flaky.

Well played, sir. Well fucking played.

• Anyone else doing actual Thanksgiving Cooking? Here's the cook list for me and my brother.

-Brined/Roasted Turkey (Off Alton Brown's awesome recipe)
    -Mashed Potatoes with Pecorino Cheese
    -Macaroni and Cheese
    -Andouille Cornbread Stuffing
    -Corn
    -Green Beans
    -Gravy which'll be made from drippings of Turkey
    -Sweet Potato Pie using my special crust.
    -Rolls, which split into 3 delicious tearable pieces.
  • We're doing chickens here, but yeah, Thanksgiving is coming to the UK.

Any chance I can get your stuffing recipe?
  • We're doing chickens here, but yeah, Thanksgiving is coming to the UK.

Any chance I can get your stuffing recipe?
    I'll post it real fast, this is the first time I've ever made it, so I'm not sure how the results will be. Plus, this isn't a stuffing that's in the cavity, due to this being a brined turkey.

1 tablespoon olive oil
    1 medium sized chopped onion
    8 ounces (2 links, if we go by Aidells) chopped Andouille sausage
    1/4 cup chopped green onion
    2 stalks of celery, chopped
    2 carrots, chopped/peeled
    1 green bell pepper, chopped
    1 tablespoon minced garlic
    1 tbsp of chopped chives
    1 cup of cornbread, crumbled (Made with Cornmeal, Flour, Milk, Baking Powder, Salt, Egg, Safflower Oil, and Sugar)
    3/4 cup chicken stock
    Cajun Seasonings, aka Salt/Pepper/Paprika/Thyme/Cayenne/Oregano/Chili Powder

1. Preheat the oven to 350.
    2. Heat oil on medium
    3. Saute the onion, carrot and sausage for 3 to 5 minutes.
    4. Add celery, garlic, pepper, saute another 3 to 5 minutes.
    5. Add chives and cajun spices, giving it 1 good minute to soak in.
    6. Add cornbread, and thoroughly mix it for 2 minutes.
    7. Add stock, let it deglaze for a minute or so.
    8. Place in a 9 inch baking dish, and leave it in the oven for about 25 minutes.

I'm really hoping this works. :X
  • edited November 2011
    Photobucket
    home made blueberry filling (blueberries, sugar, brown sugar, honey, corn starch)
    Photobuckethome made crumb topping (flour, butter, oatmeal, brown sugar)

Photobucketpie (love)
    Post edited by KapitänTim on
  • Just made fried dough balls with my daughter. Do I even need to post the recipe?

It wasn't until I was cleaning up that I realized I should have used my cheap wok for the deep frying. Now my good wok has a yellow cooked on oil line all the way around the top two inches of it!
  • edited December 2011
    So I am thinking of making a sauerbraten for Christmas. Anyone have experience?
    Post edited by KapitänTim on
  • I will state that Jack Daniels is the best price to flavor deglazing fluid out there.
  • I've found that rosé wine imparts awesome flavor and aroma to meatloaf.

Haven't cooked anything big lately. Next time I do, I shall post pics.
  • edited December 2011
    Well, it's something really simple, but I think that the manga/anime fans here may appreciate it.

Behold... The Sausage Octapods

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g110/TestamentSaki/SL273430.jpg

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g110/TestamentSaki/SL273429.jpg
    Post edited by AndouReiya on
  • This is my, very amateur, fledgling vlog, explaining the recipe for my Bacon Leek Goat Cheese Tart and experimental Bacon Caramel Rice Krispie Treats. Specific details are in the authors notes.

• Do I want to make Red Velvet Cake, cherry scones, or white chocolate and cherry biscotti tomorrow?
  • Do I want to make Red Velvet Cake, cherry scones, or white chocolate and cherry biscotti tomorrow?
    Yes.
  • OK guys, it's cooking time and I need some suggestions.

I have the following raw ingredients:
    -green pepper
    -red pepper
    -zucchini
    -celery
    -carrots
    -asparagus

I'd like to combine some or all of these into a tasty dinner, perhaps using spaghetti as the base carbs of the meal. What would you guys suggest?
  • edited February 2012
    OK guys, it's cooking time and I need some suggestions.

I have the following raw ingredients:
    -green pepper
    -red pepper
    -zucchini
    -celery
    -carrots
    -asparagus

I'd like to combine some or all of these into a tasty dinner, perhaps using spaghetti as the base carbs of the meal. What would you guys suggest?
    Dice all of them and make a primavera. Add chicken for protein. Done.

Post edited by TheWhaleShark on
  • I'm a bit late on this I think, but with that list of ingredients you've got most of the core stuff for a gumbo. You could also wing it and make some sort of stir fry from all that.