This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Real Life Cooking Mama: Share Your Cooking Projects!

Comments

• edited October 2012
    George, Protip: Add a tablespoon of Marmite or Vegemite along with one minced anchovy to every pound of ground turkey you use. The loss in flavor between turkey and beef is primarily related to umami; also consider adding a tablespoon of oil to keep that meat moist when you cook it.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • I was curious, so I just looked it up. There is no local store anywhere near me that sells either vegemite or marmite. I'm actually very surprised.
  • I was curious, so I just looked it up. There is no local store anywhere near me that sells either vegemite or marmite. I'm actually very surprised.
    You can double the minced anchovies and add a tablespoon of soy sauce if you can't get Marmite or Vegemite. More info at Serious Eats.
  • Sichuan peppercorns are god's gift to man. Just biting on one will make your tongue go numb for minutes.
  • I've got a pack of bacon nearing expiry. I also have some good chocolate. So, I'm going to render an entire pack of bacon for fat and make bacon fat chocolate chip cookies.

Whatchu know bout dat life, FRCF?
  • I've got a pack of bacon nearing expiry. I also have some good chocolate. So, I'm going to render an entire pack of bacon for fat and make bacon fat chocolate chip cookies.

Whatchu know bout dat life, FRCF?
    Don't. The bacon fat makes the cookies taste like ass. You're better off crisping the hell out of the bacon, turning it into bits, and mixing that into the cookies.

• Shit, I was so pumped for that. Alright, chocobacon chip cookies it is.
  • Usually with a whole package of bacon, I like making one of my Bacon/Leek/Goat Cheese Tarts. But yeah, Pete is right. Bacon Fat doesn't work for cooking purposes. I do know you can use Duck Fat for cakes...but then again, that's duck.

My oven that's been broken for about a month has now been fixed, and I'm itching to start baking/roasting/broiling once again. My friends have suggested I make an apple pie, but I've never really made full on pie before. (Not really a fruit fan)

To you pie makers, recommendations? What type of crust should I make, what kind of apples should I use, how long should I bake, do you want to bake the crust and apples all at the same time or separately?
  • Maybe I'll buy a hunk of pork lard for the cookies. Yeah.
  • edited October 2012
    Alright fuckers, lemme show you how to make some goddamn chili.

Get your meat, 5lbs of beef and 1lb of Chorizo and grill that shit up. No ground beef here. Also, drink a beer.

Next, prep your spices and aromatics. Wait, where is the chili powder?

WE MAKE OUR OWN CHILI POWDER HERE. Toast up some dried, deseeded, Anaheim, Chipotle, Ancho, and Arbol chilies with some cumin. Word of warning, don't burn it.

Stick those chilies in a blender and add some dried basil, oregano, onion and garlic power, and some fresh ground coffee.

Next, brown up the chorizo, REALLY brown. Deglaze the pan with some bourbon and then sweat out some onions. Add some garlic when they are almost caramalized and then add everything to your pot. Mince up some chiptole in adobo and add that as well.

Add a bottle of nice malty beer, beef stock, some Worcestershire, a little bit of bourbon and simmer that shit for hours.

Post edited by Andrew on
  • How the fuck do you have time to do all this shit?
  • Cooking has become a hobby of sorts. Most of my time is split between work/studying, brewing, and cooking.
  • Cooking has become a hobby of sorts. Most of my time is split between work/studying, brewing, and cooking.
    Doesn't leave much time for nerding.
  • Four hours in...
    Doesn't leave much time for nerding.
    Yeah, how do you fit in this and all the trolling you do? :P

Looks really awesome. ^_^
  • It's making me feel inferior. I made curry, but I bought the garam masala powder at the store. Now I'm wondering how to make the powder...
  • I really, really want this book.

• Cookbooks I'm all about:

The Flavor Bible
    What to Drink with What You Eat
    The Food Lover's Guide to Wine
    What To Cook and How To Cook It
    Ad Hoc At Home
    Momofuku
    Frankie's Spuntino Cookbook
    Ratio
  • Oh god do want Modernist Cuisine. But $$$$
  • Time for cookbook piracy?
  • Yeah, I want to pirate TMC until I can afford a copy.
  • This is my midnight snack.

French Style Duck Eggs with Speck, Irish Cheddar, Bread and Butter Pickles, and Toasted Honey Wheat Bread with a Crabbie's Ginger Beer.

So worth it.
  • Did you bake the bread? Except for the ginger beer that looks fucking awesome.
  • edited October 2012
    Did you bake the bread? Except for the ginger beer that looks fucking awesome.
    No, but I bought it from the Farmer's Market. Tomorrow, I'm actually going to try baking Mexican baguettes known as bolillos, I hope they go well!
    Post edited by Nukerjsr on
  • WUB, You should use the bacon fat to make popcorn. There's a restaurant nearby my that does that and it's fucking heavenly.
  • WUB, You should use the bacon fat to make popcorn. There's a restaurant nearby my that does that and it's fucking heavenly.
    I have had said popcorn and can confirm it's heavenlyness.
  • GUESS I AM DEFINITELY EATING A POP TART AND NUTELLA SANDWICH RIGHT NOW
  • You am play gods bro.
    Aaaaaaaaaaaaand diabeetus.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaand diabeetus.
    Tell them I died as I lived: Stupidly.