This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

What Have You Been Listening To? (Don't make this thread a wall of embedded youtubes)

Comments

• Apreche said:

Dazzle369 said:

Apreche said:

Dazzle369 said:

! year late to the party but it's okay. ┏(^0^)┛┗(^0^) ┓

SECRET? Seriously? What next, Rainbow? Maybe some Fiestar? Please.
    Don't judge me, paha

That's enough to make me go play Phoenix Wright right now. (that soundtrack too)

• that sexaphone... that piani...
  • Yeah, that's one of my favorite jazz songs. It's right up there with Little Girl Blue and Take 5.
  • Take 5 is an immortal classic.

Really love the rendition of Caravan from Whiplash the film. That scene, so powerful!
  • First item, the only Trance playlist you'll ever need is now on Spotify.

https://open.spotify.com/user/armadamusicofficial/playlist/5lSgExb6yTKfLusGag7bm7

Second item. I showed this to the peeps the other night, but didn't post it here yet.

You know how in other genres of music, say metal for example, there will be the ridiculously popular group like Metallica that is also very talented. But then there will be those other bands that are ludicrously talented, but they don't get the popularity they deserve? Only the superfans know about and appreciate them. Usually because their songs aren't big hits despite them being so damn good at what they do.

Well this same thing exists in KPop. The group that used to exemplify this was SPICA, but SPICA hasn't really been very active lately. There's a new group called "The Ark" that is just insane. In other groups you'll have people with defined roles like that person is the lead dancer, that person is just there to sing, etc. Obviously some are better in some areas than others, but every member of the Ark can do it all. They aren't just performers either, they have actual musical skills like playing instruments, composing, etc. Since they are brand new and just have one single, they mostly do covers of other KPop groups. They are totally showing everyone else up because their covers are better than the originals.

Here is their debut stage with an intro bit and their single.

Here is a video showing EXO (a ridiculously popular group) watching The Ark cover their dance. Later in the video you can see a split screen comparison and see that The Ark can do better than EXO at their own song.

Here is an example of the kind of performances The Ark has been doing to promote themselves. They go around to parks, festivals, etc. and do these mini-concerts with their own songs, covers, etc.

• Kpop just seems like one massive lipsync competition.
  • Andrew said:

Kpop just seems like one massive lipsync competition.

Yes and no. Many groups have intense choreography, so they will lip synch at live performances simply because it's difficult for any human being to dance so vigorously while singing.

Also, whether they sing or not depends on the context. Some groups when hired to perform at a festival will charge more money to actually sing instead of just lip sync. That results in them lip synching even though they are capable of singing, because they weren't paid to sing. Also, some TV shows do not allow lip synching, and some do. Performances on YHY Sketchbook, for example, are alway performed live. Whether they sing or not depends on context.

There's also just the fact that when you have a big group, some people can sing and some can't. Even among those that can sing, some are better than others. You can't just have the two people who can sing do all the singing, because then the other members become glorified backup dancers. Everyone has to have a part, even a short one. Often people who can't sing learn to rap instead, which is why so many songs have a combination of rapping and singing.

Also, the singing talent varies a lot from group to group. Crayon Pop, as awesome as they are, can't sing at all. Only one person in the group can sing decently, and one member sings about as well as a person off the street. By comparison, everyone in 2NE1 can sing really really well.

Lastly, KPop groups don't only do these kinds of pop songs with dancing and not much singing. Those are just the ones that I like. Their albums are actually mostly filled with ballads and shit. If you go to the concert it will be like dancing and lip synching a couple songs, then singing a whole bunch. There are even groups that do not dance at all, but I don't give many shits about them. Heck, CNBlue and FTIsland are traditional rock bands that even play instruments and write music.

There's one final thing to realize. Most of these people have practiced like crazy for years before debuting. When they sing live, it's sometimes hard to tell it apart from the original studio recording. Not because it's lip synch, but because they are that good. Live auto-tune technology sometimes assists with this, sometimes it doesn't.

Here are some KPop hits performed live that definitely aren't lip synched. Quality varies.

This one is notable because it was one of those cases where they thought they were going to be singing over a backing track, but it didn't play! Oh shit, they had to sing unexpectedly! They can't stop smiling/laughing because of the mistake, but they continue the performance anyway.

• This:
  • That's marvelous.
  • Pegu said:

That's marvelous.

Best Mega Man cover I've heard in years.
  • Some beats that are constantly in my head these days:

• Kaskade & deadmau5 - I Remember
    Kaskade & deadmau5 - Move For Me

Porter Robinson - Language
  • One last spam, but fucking CHON is so good
  • Hey, with 12 episodes out and more on the way, I feel confident in promoting Junkman Radio, my music based podcast. It's almost all super underground stuff you won't hear about anywhere else.
  • Anyone else listening to the leaked new Titus Andronicus album, The Most Lamentable Tragedy?
  • Bomba Estereo's newest album has been pretty good to listen to while biking around in the sun.

• If you like hard rock or southern rock, you should definitely check out Shawn James and the Shapeshifters.
  • This is like, six months old, but I've only been a good boy for a few weeks.

• This, on the other hand, is basically brand new.

• I've rediscovered Janelle Monae.
  • I've rediscovered Janelle Monae.

Shock it shake it baby!

• *trainer used double team*

• This is where UK garage went, it's not dead yet.
  • Apreche said:

I've rediscovered Janelle Monae.

Shock it shake it baby!
    Love her. Love her so much. I need to check out her new stuff.
    Apreche said:

This is like, six months old, but I've only been a good boy for a few weeks.\

I enjoy a good video where the choreography just goes with the music well.

As for myself, been listening to the Inside Out soundtrack to relax to as I work.

For beats that have me bobbin' my head, from the ToTD about the Pokemon Rave, I discovered these two songs:

Ping Pong:

Calabria:
  • Ro, if you like the trance music, you should listen to Armin Van Buuren's A State of Trance radio show every week. It's on Spotify.

http://enter.astateoftrance.com/
  • Rochelle said:

As for myself, been listening to the Inside Out soundtrack to relax to as I work.

Just added that to my Library along with the Ori and the Blind Forest OST for stuff to listen to while I write.
  • The new Girl's Generation single sounds like it belongs in an MLP:FiM episode. Assuming that ponies sing about getting drunk partying on the beach.

• New chillaxin' music or music to work to.

Nujabes... *tears*