This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

What Have You Been Listening To? (Don't make this thread a wall of embedded youtubes)

Comments

• sca
    Society for Creative Anachronisms?

• From the metal thread:

So there's this band called Triptykon.Some of you might like them.They're a new project from Tom Gabriel Fischer - the guy who founded Celtic Frost, Apollyon Sun, and Hellhammer.

So yes. You want to hear this.
  • Video Games Live and all of the metal listed in the metal thread in sequence.
  • Sufjan Stevens
    I feel like he's just a conduit for all the sadness in the world. I can't get through his albums without being overwhelmed by crushing despair. I still listen to them, though. He's a genius.
    Of Montreal.
    They're coming to U of I in October. I doubt I will be able to get a ticket.
  • I guess a lot of Sufjan's music is sad or melancholy, but it doesn't affect me that way. It just makes me sleepy and happy. At least, Illinois[e] does.
  • It just makes me sleepy and happy. At least, Illinois[e] does.
    I would say it depends on what I'm listening to. On that album, "John Wayne Gacy" makes me very sad. "Chicago," "The Man of Metropolis Steals Our Hearts," and "Casimir Pulaski Day" (oddly, given the content), invoke sleepy happiness. "...Wasp of the Palisades..." is a kind of nervy nostalgic sadness that is both uncomfortable and relaxing.

Michigan is distinctly not as happy as Illinois, if I recall correctly.
  • It just makes me sleepy and happy. At least, Illinois[e] does.
    I would say it depends on what I'm listening to. On that album, "John Wayne Gacy" makes me very sad. "Chicago," "The Man of Metropolis Steals Our Hearts," and "Casimir Pulaski Day" (oddly, given the content), invoke sleepy happiness. "...Wasp of the Palisades..." is a kind of nervy nostalgic sadness that is both uncomfortable and relaxing.

Michigan is distinctly not as happy as Illinois, if I recall correctly.
    John Wayne Gacy's sad, but it's still an awesome song. Chicago and Jacksonville are my two favorites.
  • John Wayne Gacy's sad, but it's still an awesome song.
    Didn't say it wasn't. It's sad, but one of my favorites. Chicago, Predatory Wasp, CPD, and Jacksonville are other favorites. I also really like the composition of "...Zombies!"
  • Didn't say it wasn't. It's sad, but one of my favorites. Chicago, Predatory Wasp, CPD, and Jacksonville are other favorites. I also really like the composition of "...Zombies!"
    Oh my god, "Zombies!" I forgot all about that one. Friggin' sweet.

I've been listening to whatever comes up on shuffle in iTunes. Right now that's a lot of Iron & Wine, The Flaming Lips, Radiohead, and Tunak Tunak Tun.
  • Tunak Tunak Tun.
    I was once a big fan of Tunak Tunak Tun, but then I heard Benny Lava and never went back.
  • I was once a big fan of Tunak Tunak Tun, but then I heard Benny Lava and never went back.
    They're both great, but I can actually dance/rave to Tunak.
  • My favorite besides Casimir Pulaski Day is The Man Of Metropolis Steals Our Hearts.
  • Been going back through all the old Linkin Park albums, I guess getting ready for the new album in a couple weeks. Also been shuffling through all my stuff on iTunes, which ranges all over the place.
  • The Man Of Metropolis Steals Our Hearts.
    Fun fact, in case you didn't know it: Metropolis, Illinois is considered the official home of Superman, and the town square sports a massive statue of the Man of Steel himself.
  • edited September 2010
    When I first listen to a song I don't hear the lyrics. If the chorus is clear I'll get the gist of it, but otherwise my first impression of a song comes almost entirely from the music. When I first heard Jamie T I imagined being in an old bar in the hart of London with a good friend, and drowning my woes after my dog died and my girlfriend left me. Upon further listening it turns out that my first impression was more or less spot on. That's significant, of course, because I've never had a girlfriend, been to London, or been drinking in a bar, and I was 12 last time my dog died. This guy is good.
    Post edited by Walker on
  • When I first listen to a song I don't hear the lyrics. If the chorus is clear I'll get the gist of it, but otherwise my first impression of a song comes almost entirely from the music. When I first heard Jamie T I imagined being in an old bar in the hart of London with a good friend, and drowning my woes after my dog died and my girlfriend left me. Upon further listening it turns out that my first impression was more or lessspot on. That's significant, of course, because I've never had a girlfriend, been to London, or been drinking in a bar, and I was 12 last time my dog died. This guy isgood.
    His song Sticks and Stones is pretty good, too. You Don't want to be stuck in Hampsonwicke.
  • edited September 2010
    I am currently listening to a lot of Coverville, which is a music podcast all about cover-songs. I've also been getting into some Warren Zevon. Plus I got like 18 days worth of podcasts on my hard drive since I'm digging myself through the archives of Greatest Movie Ever Podcast, Fast Karate, Film Sack and Skeptoid.
    Post edited by chaosof99 on
  • GUNTHER!!! I'm still jealous my friend got to meet him in person. But no matter what, his music puts me in a good mood.
  • Heard this on the radio earlier this week and I haven't been able to get it out of my head since.

And I've been digging this since Triple J started hyping it up ~2 months ago.
  • edited September 2010
    Currently as of this moment, West Coast Avengers EP by Adam Warrock. The best mix tape ever put together about the West Coast Avengers.
    Went to his site through a Johnny Wanderer link.

This shit is awesome, highly recommending this.

Download from here or go to his site.

*edit* In addition his new single The Silver Age
    Post edited by Delam3 on
  • edited September 2010
    Just got my pair of new headphones today via Newegg.WOOT. and am currently listening to techno due to the surprising bass the headphones have.mostly Dj splash
    Post edited by beebzz on
  • What model did you get?
  • edited September 2010
    I got the Sony MDR-NC60. I really like them so far and understand how noise canceling works.
    Post edited by beebzz on
  • So back in the metal thread, Alex talked about the Diablo Swing Orchestra. If you didn't check them out yet, you're wrong. Go check them out right now and you'll set things right.

If you don't believe me, check out this video, especially from 4:45 on. It might be the most awesome minute and change of music ever.
  • I discovered that Taio Cruz is actually pretty good.
  • Grinderman 2. More solid than Black Dynamite.