This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

UP

Comments

• Is it worth it to see it in 3D?
    I don't believe it's any more expensive...so I would say yeah it's worth it. Otherwise it doesn't really make or break the movie, but it's still certainly cool.
  • I haven't seenUPyet and I am debating whether a 3D showing is worth it over all. If it is equivalent to theCoraline3D experience, it was neat at the beginning, but I quickly forgot about the 3D effect.
    Unlike Coraline, Up was actually made with 3D showings in mind.
  • While I liked the movie quite a lot, the 3D experience added so very little that I wonder if it is worth the added expense.
    I disagree. The 3D was tastefully done such that you didn't spend the entire movie thinking "Wow! 3D!" It was wonderfully immersive, and I consider it to be one of the better uses of the technology.
  • edited June 2009
    While I liked the movie quite a lot, the 3D experience added so very little that I wonder if it is worth the added expense.
    I disagree. The 3D was tastefully done such that you didn't spend the entire movie thinking "Wow! 3D!" It was wonderfully immersive, and I consider it to be one of the better uses of the technology.
    I don't disagree with you. It used the 3D elements very well. It didn't "poke your eye out". For me, personally, it wasn't "immersive" as you say. I certainly didn't mind it. I am just not sure it added much, if anything, to my personal experience. Also, it made my eyes go wonky on occasion, thus distracting from the film (apparently this is common for those that wear glasses and watch polarized films).

My uneasiness with 3D also stems from its use as a gimmick to pull more people into theatres and limit interest in pirating, as some in the film industry seek to use it.

Personally, I am waiting for holographic films.
    Post edited by Kate Monster on
  • watching it in 3-D added an extra depth to it
    Worst. Pun. Ever.
    Worst. Pun. Ever.
    Yay, I am finally famous for something.
    Worst. Pun. Ever.
    I thought it was cute. You are just a grump, Nineless! :P
  • edited June 2009
    Deleted for repetitiveness.
    Post edited by Li_Akahi on
  • GeoGeo
    edited June 2009
    Go see this movie. Yes Scott, even you should see this.
    If it's not Star Wars or Lord of the Rings, I'm not paying $15 to watch it in a room full of screaming babies. Put it in the queue with everything else.
    Not that it affects me in any way, but how can you live this cranky and jaded lifestyle? Don't anyone else tell stuff like "this is scott you are talking about" or stuff like that because I really want to know why?

EDIT: Plus, this looks like the most Miyazaki-esque film Pixar has ever put out, and even that is easy to tell just by the title and premise.
    Post edited by Geo on
  • edited June 2009
    Not that it affects me in any way, but how can you live this cranky and jaded lifestyle? Don't anyone else tell stuff like "this is scott you are talking about" or stuff like that because I really want to know why?
    I'm with Scott on this one. Going to the movies is generally paying a lot more money for an experience that's worse than watching it at home. The only advantage is not having to wait til the DVD comes out.
    Post edited by Funfetus on
  • I'm with Scott on this one. Going to the movies is generally paying a lot more money for an experience that's worse than watching it at home. The only advantage is not having to wait til the DVD comes out.
    Going to the movies with friends is tons of fun, and besides, where else are you going to get a screen that big or speakers that loud? Movies are designed to be watched in a theater.
  • GeoGeo
    edited June 2009
    I'm with Scott on this one. Going to the movies is generally paying a lot more money for an experience that's worse than watching it at home. The only advantage is not having to wait til the DVD comes out.
    Going to the movies with friends is tons of fun, and besides, where else are you going to get a screen that big or speakers that loud? Movies are designed to be watched in a theater.
    Speaking as a filmmaker, that is quoted for truth, but lately (I never thought I would say this) I hate going to the movies because of the ridiculous prices nowadays. For $15, a film had better hit me hard like a ton of a bricks.
    Post edited by Geo on
  • Going to the movies with friends is tons of fun, and besides, where else are you going to get a screen that big or speakers that loud? Movies are designed to be watched in a theater.
    In your house with your surround sound and your large HDTV or projector? Home theatres are much closer to movie theatres than they used to be.
  • For $15, a film had better hit me hard like a ton of a bricks.
    Well whaddya know? Up seems like just the thing to ease your jaded mind.
  • GeoGeo
    edited June 2009
    For $15, a film had better hit me hard like a ton of a bricks.
    Hey I'm just a guy who just wants to get my moneys worth, but luckily I know what films look good and which ones don't, not by IMDB, but by both pure intuition and deep analysis of any footage released to the general public. A lot of people can vouch for me (not in this forum) when I say that time and time again I've been consistently right about which current films are good or bad, and a lot of people usually come up to me and say "I should have listened to you, I can't believe I wasted my money on -random film name-!"
    Post edited by Geo on
    Hey I'm just a guy who just wants to get my moneys worth, but luckily I know what films look good and which ones don't, not by IMDB, but by both pure intuition and deep analysis of any footage released to the general public. A lot of people can vouch for me (not in this forum) when I say that time and time again I've been consistently right about which current films are good or bad, and a lot of people usually come up to me and say "I should have listened to you, I can't believe I wasted my money on -random film name-!"
    "Not to toot my own horn, but..." Toot.
    $15? What the fuck? Where do you live? Where I live it's like $7-10 for a movie (which is still shit). I didn't realize prices fluctuated that much.
  • In your house with your surround sound and your large HDTV or projector? Home theatres are much closer to movie theatres than they used to be.
    Because of course, I and everybody I know has a large expensive HDTV or projector and a home theater setup. I will concede that movie prices are a bit insane, but even so, nothing beats gathering two dozen of your friends and invading the theater to see Star Trek (which, by the way, is a movie that benefits massively from the theater experience. It simply will not be the same to watch that off of the big screen).
  • $15? What the fuck? Where do you live?
    That's about the going rate anywhere civilized. ;^)
  • That's about the going rate anywhere civilized. ;^)
    Yeah, movie screens are mostly the same size everywhere. Real estate prices and populations are not. Somewhere like NYC you need multiple theatres to hold all the patrons. The space those theatres occupy costs a lot more money. I don't need to explain it much more than that. Movies are more expensive when there are more people.
  • That's about the going rate anywhere civilized. ;^)
    I think the going rate around here, even in the city, in the big, expensive, fancy theatre on Park Street, overlooking Boston Common, is about $10. Then they fuck you on the drinks and candy.
  • edited June 2009
    I think the going rate around here, even in the city, in the big, expensive, fancy theatre on Park Street, overlooking Boston Common, is about $10. Then they fuck you on the drinks and candy.
    Luckily my boyfriend and I have Fridays off, so we can watch the early bird showing at $6. They don't even take your tickets, which I find odd, but oh well. As for food, that's why I have a big grandma purse to store whatever food my boyfriend and I feel like eating that day. I really can't stomach most theater food. It's just no longer appetizing to me, including popcorn because the I have to floss the fuck out of my teeth to get the kernels out.
    Post edited by Rochelle on
  • I think the going rate around here, even in the city, in the big, expensive, fancy theatre on Park Street, overlooking Boston Common, is about $10. Then they fuck you on the drinks and candy.
    Luckily my boyfriend and I have Fridays off, so we can watch the early bird showing at $6. They don't even take your tickets, which I find odd, but oh well. As for food, that's why I have a big grandma purse to store whatever food my boyfriend and I feel like eating that day. Most theater food, I really can't stomach. It's just no longer appetizing to me, including popcorn because the I have to floss the fuck out of my teeth to get the kernels out.
    I do that too! The theater I usually go to is in a mall, and right next to a candy store. I just buy my Raisinets or whatnot for $1 and a bottle of Coke for $1.50 at a machine and bring it in my purse. It would cost about $8 to buy that stuff in the theater. The only thing I ever get in the theater is popcorn, nachos, or a big Icee.
  • I think the going rate around here, even in the city, in the big, expensive, fancy theatre on Park Street, overlooking Boston Common, is about $10. Then they fuck you on the drinks and candy.
    Luckily my boyfriend and I have Fridays off, so we can watch the early bird showing at $6. They don't even take your tickets, which I find odd, but oh well. As for food, that's why I have a big grandma purse to store whatever food my boyfriend and I feel like eating that day. Most theater food, I really can't stomach. It's just no longer appetizing to me, including popcorn because the I have to floss the fuck out of my teeth to get the kernels out.
    I have a friend who used to work at a local movie theater, and he told me that they just recycle the popcorn over and over again for weeks even. All they do is put some fresh popcorn on top, and mix it up a bit. I have never bought movie theater food since. Also, I use my girlfriend's big grandma purse to store Taco Bell nachos. Although she tends to get a bit annoyed when I do that...
  • I have a friend who used to work at a local movie theater, and he told me that they just recycle the popcorn over and over again for weeks even. All they do is put some fresh popcorn on top, and mix it up a bit.
    My first real job was working for a movie theater for about a year. We did that from time to time, which is why whenever I do have popcorn, I try to make sure it's fresh.
  • I have a friend who used to work at a local movie theater, and he told me that they just recycle the popcorn over and over again for weeks even. All they do is put some fresh popcorn on top, and mix it up a bit. I have never bought movie theater food since. Also, I use my girlfriend's big grandma purse to store Taco Bell nachos. Although she tends to get a bit annoyed when I do that...
    I think it's funny that you aren't willing to eat week-old popcorn, but you are more than happy to eat Taco Bell nachos.
  • but you are more than happy to eat Taco Bell nachos.
    Taco Bell nachos are tasty. They're not nachos, and I wouldn't classify them as such per se, but what they are, non-nachoness-nonwithstanding, is tasty.
  • but you are more than happy to eat Taco Bell nachos.
    Taco Bell nachos are tasty. They're not nachos, and I wouldn't classify them as such per se, but what they are, non-nachoness-nonwithstanding, is tasty.
    I don't understand their nacho system. The chips with a simple cup of cheese are the only nachos I like, but they cost $1.09, while the other nacho variations are cheaper and have various forms of gunk piled on them. For example, it only costs like $.79 to have the cheese piled on the chips for you, along with some hot sauce. I like the chips without gunk so they don't get all soggy.
  • Taco Bell nachos are tasty. They're not nachos, and I wouldn't classify them as such per se, but what they are, non-nachoness-nonwithstanding, is tasty.
    Cardboard chips and artificial cheese. I'll take the popcorn. At least the popcorn has artificial butter masking its oldness.
  • I think it's funny that you aren't willing to eat week-old popcorn, but you are more than happy to eat Taco Bell nachos.
    It's because the nachos taste so good, plus I don't have any friends that worked at Taco Bell and have told me horror stories about what they may or may not do with their nachos.
    I don't understand their nacho system. The chips with a simple cup of cheese are the only nachos I like, but they cost $1.09, while the other nacho variations are cheaper and have various forms of gunk piled on them. For example, it only costs like $.79 to have the cheese piled on the chips for you, along with some hot sauce. I like the chips without gunk so they don't get all soggy.
    You're paying for the crispiness :-p