This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

UP

1235»

Comments

• Up is my least favorite Pixar movie.
    Why?
    The touching, interesting plot was ruined by an unfunny barrage of 7-foot-tall birds and talking dogs.
    I wouldn't say it was ruined but, because a lot of the movie was revealed with the trailers and commercials, it did kind of hurt things. But I still loved it all the way through.
  • I wonder if someone could so a remix of Up! that would expunge the kiddie-whoring silliness
  • About how far did you get into the movie?
    The touching, interesting plot was ruined by an unfunny barrage of 7-foot-tall birds and talking dogs.
    About that far. It's like they didn't even TRY to make the kid, the dogs or the bird either funny or interesting.
  • I loved the movie. What most of you seem to be complaining about is the supporting characters, and I have to say that I didn't feel their sillyness took away from the whole movie. The one scene that I felt was out of place was the scene with the dogs piloting the prop planes, but that's just me. Overall, I adore the movie. I just bought three copies of it today. One for me, one for my sister's birthday, and one for my best friend's birthday that's coming up shortly. I got a very strange look from the lady at checkout.
  • edited November 2009
    F you Pixar for making a grown man cry... (well almost).

Edit: As for Luke and others wanting the dog/bird/kid/plants?/etc to be more in depth characters, I say you missed the point of the story entirely. The lead is Carl and the supporting act is Ellie, if e.g. the kid had more depth that would have completely changed the story from what it is about (loss, failure and redemption) to a trite buddy movie about "bonding".
    Post edited by Dr. Timo on
  • F you Pixar for making a grown man cry... (well almost).
    Hey, I did cry at the start of the movie.
    Edit: As for Luke and others wanting the dog/bird/kid/plants?/etc to be more in depth characters, I say you missed the point of the story entirely. The lead is Carl and the supporting act is Ellie, if e.g. the kid had more depth that would have completely changed the story from what it is about (loss, failure and redemption) to a trite buddy movie about "bonding".
    I didn't want the characters to have more depth. What I wanted was them to not be annoying, as a minimum, and maybe be entertaining. Depth in the characters, or their relevance to the story, or who or what the story is about, is all completely pointless if the film creates such a sense of boredom that I walk out of the theater. I understood that the story was about Carl's loss, but that didn't change the fact that I wanted to punch myself in the face the next time a dog spoke.
  • What I wanted was them to not be annoying
    Oh well, that then is just a mater of opinion (more subjective opinion at least than criticizing plot structure ;-) ). For my part I didn't find that aspect annoying at all. I have been told by people who are self proclaimed "dog persons" that the dogs in the movie were spot on and highly entertaining.
  • I have been told by people who are self proclaimed "dog persons" that the dogs in the movie were spot on and highly entertaining.
    With lines like "I hide under your porch becuase I love you. Can I stay?," I don't understand how anyone can possibly hate Dug.
  • I have been told by people who are self proclaimed "dog persons" that the dogs in the movie were spot on and highly entertaining.
    With lines like "I hide under your porch becuase I love you. Can I stay?," I don't understand how anyone can possibly hate Dug.
    Maybe they don't like that absurd type of humor?
  • F you Pixar for making a grown man cry... (well almost).
    Hey, I did cry at the start of the movie.
    Then it's areal shame you didn't watch till the end, 's all I'm sayin'.
  • Finally got around watching Up tonight and it was awesome. Great movie, great animation, great story. *SQUIRREL!*

However, maybe I'm just a heartless sack of excrement, but the movie did not make me cry. The end of Wall-E made me cry, but Up did not. Old people simply die. That's something I have come to terms with. It's still sad and you feel sympathy for Carl, but it was simply not enough time spent with Ellie yet.
  • Old people simply die.
    I didn't cry when Ellie died, I cried when she had the miscarriage.
  • Old people simply die.
    Don't ruin for it everyone just yet! Statute of Limitations has barely even passed on this one yet!
  • Old people simply die.
    Don't ruin for it everyone just yet! Statute of Limitations has barely even passed on this one yet!
    Dude, doesn't it happen in, like, the first ten minutes of the movie?
  • Dude, doesn't it happen in, like, the first ten minutes of the movie?
    Seconded - If it's within the first 15 minutes, it's not exactly spoiler materiel.
  • Dude, doesn't it happen in, like, the first ten minutes of the movie?
    Seconded - If it's within the first 15 minutes, it's not exactly spoiler materiel.
    Also: These are the fucking Geeknights forums, don't touch threads about books/games/movies you want to read/play/see with a ten foot pole. In fact, I don't even let my mouse hover over the topic line on the front page.
  • img
    <3</p>
    <3<3<3
  • img
    <3</p>
    <3<3<3</p>
    Quad that <3.
  • img
    <3</p>
    <3<3<3</p>
    Quad that <3.</p>
    I can do it, I can do it 12 times!