This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

UP

Comments

• edited June 2009
    I want to get a group of friends together and go see this movie, but find a way to sneak a White Castle Crave Case into the theater. My White Castle beats your week-old popcorn AND Taco Bell nachos.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • Under your shirt.
  • That's about the going rate anywhere civilized. ;^)
    Cleveland Ohio isn't civilized? Columbus Ohio isn't civilized? Are you shitting me? Successful troll is successful?

At Cinemark the night showings are usually like $10, and daytime is usually like $6-7. Candy and food is retarded, though. $3-4 for M&Ms;? Fuck yourselves cinemark. I usually just don't eat or drink anything at a showing. If anything, I'll sneak in a bottle of water or a bag of candy in my pockets or something.
  • edited June 2009
    At the South Bank Cineplex in Brisbane the standard rate works out to ~$5.90 USD, and the student rate works out to ~$4.80 USD.
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • RymRym
    edited June 2009
    Cleveland Ohio isn't civilized?
    Cleveland, OH: Population 478,403 (6,166.5/sq mi)
    Columbus OH: Population 747,755 (3,556.1/sq mi )
    New York City: Population 8,274,527 (27,147/sq mi)

Living anywhere near New York makes the rest of the world (Except Tokyo, Seoul, Hong Kong, etc...) feel provincial. ^_~
    Post edited by Rym on
  • Cleveland, OH: Population 478,403 (6,166.5/sq mi)

Living anywhere near New York makes the rest of the world (Except Tokyo, Seoul, Hong Kong, etc...) feel provincial. ^_~
    Looks to like you have a perspective problem :-p
  • Looks to like you have a perspective problem :-p
    It's very easy to when you're looking from the top. ^_~
    Or at least, what you perceive as 'the top'.
    Wow. Rym being a complete snob! What a shocker?!
  • edited June 2009
    Wow. Rym being a complete snob! What a shocker?!
    I'm so utterly stunned, that I may never recover.
    Post edited by Churba on
    Beacon NY: Population 16,000

JUST SAYING Also, Columbus is a pretty nice city. I'd really like to spend more time there.
  • I live in Philadelphia and though NYC still has about 7 million people more then us we're still one of the highest populated cities in the US, and our movie tickets go only as high as $10.50 for a regular film. Thats not including IMAX or 3D which tend to run a bit higher.

Also UP was a great movie, I'm a big fan of Pixar and they did not disappoint. Disney also does one of the best 3D movie experiences out there right now.
  • I live in Philadelphia and though NYC still has about 7 million people more then us we're still one of the highest populated cities in the US, and our movie tickets go only as high as $10.50 for a regular film. Thats not including IMAX or 3D which tend to run a bit higher.

Also UP was a great movie, I'm a big fan of Pixar and they did not disappoint. Disney also does one of the best 3D movie experiences out there right now.
    I'm in the suburbs of Philly (where everyone actually lives) and they are also only 10.50.
  • Beacon NY: Population 16,000
    God, we have double that here in the-middle-of-nowhere, The Netherlands, Europe, planet earth, milky way, chocolate factory.
    Beacon NY: Population 16,000

JUST SAYINGAlso, Columbus is a pretty nice city. I'd really like to spend more time there.
    I've only been to Columbus once, and the strongest impression that it left on me was one of weak, thin beer. That is not a good impression.
  • edited June 2009
    Just seen Up this evening. I think it's on my top four of Pixar films. It left a good impression on me. I expected this to be a villain-less movie, but then that guy showed up. Now the wait begins for Toy Story 3.

SQUIRREL!
    Post edited by Viga on
  • Pixar has always been really good, but the first 10 or so minutes of UP when they show the flashback scenes were probably the best 10 minutes they've ever done. It was sweet, funny, poignant, sad, and who knows how many other emotions.
  • Adam and I saw UP as part of our anniversary celebration. It was oddly appropriate for the occasion. I cried through most of the movie, but thoroughly enjoyed every tear jerking moment. I am not an huge Pixar fan. I like some of their films, but I can't say that I rave about all of them. This film is rave worthy.
  • Regarding the costs of going to the cinema. I too believe that it is driven by population although I have a slightly skewed perspective, having been raised in cities throughout life and living in them too.

Cheapest I can remember is probably a drive in where it was AUD$25 per car, we had 4 people and it was a family unit.

The only other time it was about this cheap was a cinema in the UK where I paid £2 to see a film in the middle of the day, I was living with an uncle and an aunt in a small town.

Since then however usually about AUD$10 on Tuesdays and AUD$16 for a regular film. AUD$30 for cinemas with couches, alcohol and food are all served.

However I do agree with Scott's comments on home theatres. My parents have a home theatre room with a projector (aimed on a 4m screen) and a 5.1 surround system installed properly. Watching anything in there is so much better than the initial cinema experience if you count out social aspects.
    It's a great room to have for my brother because I bought him a Wii and wired it up to the system so even in 4 player mode everyone can see what's happening
  • Beacon NY: Population 16,000
    After living in the city Beacon seems mini-mini. I'm sorry, but I kind of have to agree with Rym that living in New York makes most other cities seem tiny.

@ DKong - did you see that Cleveland video on college humor? "Come see both of our buildings!"
  • RymRym
    edited June 2009
    After living in the city Beacon seems mini-mini.
    Beacon is tiny. It's less than 1/10th the size of the suburb I spent my high school years in. On my commute home, I feel like I'm traveling to a distant province of New York, some foreign frontier on the horizon. ^_~
    Post edited by Rym on
  • For two people to see UP in 3D it cost over $27.00 in Colonie, NY. At our theatres 3D costs more for admission. I am not sure it is worth the excess cost.
  • For two people to seeUPin 3D it cost over $27.00 in Colonie, NY. At our theatres 3D costs more for admission. I am not sure it is worth the excess cost.
    Yeah, my friend just told me yesterday that it was $10 for us to see it in 3D and it woulda been like $8 otherwise. I'm not sure if it's worth the extra money, either, but $2 isn't that big of a deal.
    @ DKong - did you see that Cleveland video on college humor? "Come see both of our buildings!"
    Yup. There's a second video, too. Pretty much everyone around here has seen it and lol'd heartily at it.
  • edited June 2009
    But instead of telling that simple story in an appropriate 30-minute short, Pixar needed to bow to the feature-length convention and pollute its heartfelt tale with a kid-friendly cast of zany secondary characters.
    It will also serve as the perfect example of how pandering to multiple audience demographics can sully a piece of art.
    This is exactly how I feel. After the first ten minutes, the rest of the movie went slowly but steadily downhill. I hated the bird and I hated the dogs. That whole part of the plotline was ridiculously unnecessary and lacked Pixar's usual wit. I rank it as easily my least favorite Pixar film.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • My favorite part was having my ears verified by the credits at the end that Christopher Plummer did the voice for Charles Muntz.
  • That whole part of the plotline was ridiculously unnecessary and lacked Pixar's usual wit.
    You know, I sort of felt the same way. After they went through the lives of the man and woman (forgot their names), I figured they could just end the movie right there. Then they went into all that bullshit. I didn't think the sideplot really ruined the film, though.
  • I'm so pissed that UP isn't out in the UK until October! We're people too!
  • I'm so pissed that UP isn't out in the UK until October! We're people too!
    Yeah, but we get delayed releases and sometimes no releases at all of films that are made in the UK. It does go both ways.
  • Somehow I feel like we get the poopy end of the stick in this case...
  • edited June 2009
    Somehow I feel like we get the poopy end of the stick in this case...
    It depends on the kinds of films you like. If you like Hollywood blockbusters and do not care about certain UK or independent films/filmmakers, then you do get the poopy end.
    Post edited by Kate Monster on