This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights 090625 - Celebrity Deaths

Comments

• As a Dolphins fan, I will find no greater joy in attending LA Bills games and booing the ever loving shit out of them.
  • Apreche said:

Los Angeles Bills

Too soon?
    Actually, part of the reason why I mentioned Toronto is that apparently the Bills do have a strong following up there (they already play a game or two in Toronto every year) and the NFL is interested into expanding into Canada.

Every thing I've read has indicated that the San Diego Chargers are the most likely NFL team to make the move to LA. It's not totally without precedent as they were originally the Los Angeles Chargers.
  • There also used to be the LA Raiders and LA Rams. I know the NFL is always talking about expanding to London, expanding to Canada. I know why, ($$$) but I really hope they don't.

Currently, there are 32 teams, split into 2 conferences with 4 divisions each. Every division has 4 teams. Each team plays home-and-home against the 3 other teams in their division. Adding one team screws up all that balance. They'd need 8 expansion teams to keep the current balance, and it would still screw up the playoffs. (Unless you take away 2nd place's bye, which i think they're going to do anyway. $$$)
  • P. Diddy.

I think this is more of a resurrection than a death.
  • There's not a thread for that.
  • The only countries where it would make sense to expand into, at least from a geographical standpoint, are Canada and Mexico. Of the two, I think Canada is the only one that can economically sustain an NFL team.
  • There's not a thread for that.

It doesn't happen often enough. I mean, what posts are going to be in there besides Jesus?

• Puff Daddy never died. He was always alive in our hearts.
  • Apreche said:

There's not a thread for that.

It doesn't happen often enough. I mean, what posts are going to be in there besides Jesus?

It can be a thread about bringing back old awesome things.

Which is basically what the majority of Internet culture is about anyhow.

• edited April 2014
    gamesindustry.biz/articles/2014-04-04-masato-masuda-dies-at-48?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=european-daily
    This is very sad. The Fire Pro Wrestling games were the gold standard of pro wrestling video games on any system they appeared on, and the original Pro Wrestling game was very good for its time.

Post edited by Hitman Hart on
  • Mickey Rooney. :-(
  • He was on my death list!

7 points.

:(
  • Apreche said:
    Yeah. Listen to the promo he did last night on Raw. Especially the part about when "Every man's heart beats its final beat, his lungs breathe their final breath."
  • So apparently he collapsed walking down the street with his wife. Probably not suicide.
  • Neito said:

So apparently he collapsed walking down the street with his wife. Probably not suicide.

Well, could have been drugs taken at an earlier time? Very strange indeed.
  • For whatever reason, I find the most bizarre part of this is that the Ultimate Warrior had a wife.
  • Greg said:

For whatever reason, I find the most bizarre part of this is that the Ultimate Warrior had a wife.

I think he has also produce more woyahs.
  • He had two little girls with him at the Hall of Fame speech he did on Saturday. It's very sad.
  • Apreche said:

Neito said:

So apparently he collapsed walking down the street with his wife. Probably not suicide.

Well, could have been drugs taken at an earlier time? Very strange indeed.
    The life of a professional wrestler is not exactly conducive to longevity or good health in middle age. It's extremely physically taxing. And he'd admitted to steroid use, so...not exactly a paragon of healthy living.

• It's extremely physically and psychologically challenging. I can't believe people are still lining up in droves to try to be a part of that industry.
  • It's extremely physically and psychologically challenging. I can't believe people are still lining up in droves to try to be a part of that industry.

I can think of two reasons - One, they love wrestling, and two, money. Pro wrestlers make crazy bank - even the lowest paid male wrestlers are clearing 150K+ with a downside guarantee - which means that they get paid per event, plus percentage on some things(like their personal merch, outside promotion events like signings, and so on) and if it's under, they get paid the difference, and if it's over, they get to keep the lot.
  • That price is really only for the big leagues though, a lot of guys never make it there and work independent shows. Admittedly if you are good enough and get some hype to your name you can make some decent bank it would be nothing like the numbers WWE could give.
  • Jordan O. said:

That price is really only for the big leagues though, a lot of guys never make it there and work independent shows. Admittedly if you are good enough and get some hype to your name you can make some decent bank it would be nothing like the numbers WWE could give.

And how many, say, college football players does that discourage from trying to get into pro football?
  • I think a lot of it is pure passion, the same way that race car drivers do.
  • I think a lot of it is pure passion, the same way that race car drivers do.

I don't disagree. No matter how much you were getting paid, the job is still crazy fucking hard. No matter the money, if you can't keep up with what you need to do, you're not seeing a red cent. These dudes, even if they're not in a true competition, are still serious athletes, and they work very, very hard.
  • Comedian John Pinette :(