This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights 090625 - Celebrity Deaths

Comments

• Gerry Goffin (a few days late, I know)
  • Stephanie Kwolek, inventor of Kevlar
  • Eli Wallach
  • Bobby Womack.
  • Tommy Ramone
  • chaosof99 said:

Tommy Ramone

• James Garner.
  • edited August 2014
    Post edited by Daikun on
  • edited August 2014
    Post edited by 2bfree on
  • I'm pretty sure you can tell how major a celebrity was by how many multi-posts there are in this tread about their deaths.
  • Neito said:

I'm pretty sure you can tell how major a celebrity was by how many multi-posts there are in this tread about their deaths.

Confirmed by Publicist statement and LA police, unfortunately.
  • Reports state death by asphyxiation. Must have been a suicide.
  • edited August 2014
    What the fuck, man. What the fuck.

Depression is a hell of a thing, it would seem. The guy who is well-known for making us laugh uproariously was fighting his own demons this entire time.

It does kind of make sense when you think about it like that.

Shit.
    Post edited by TheWhaleShark on
  • I heard joke once: Man goes to doctor. Says he's depressed, life is harsh and cruel. Says he feels all alone in threatening world. Doctor says, "Treatment is simple. The great clown Pagliacci is in town. Go see him. That should pick you up." Man bursts into tears."But doctor" He says, "I am Pagliacci." Good joke. Everybody laugh. Roll on snare drum. Curtains.
  • First Facebook post I saw today was "Rest in Peace Rowan Williams". Someone was spreading misinformation about the old Archbishop of Canterbury...
  • Well movie night is this weekend. I'm changing my selections to Hook and another Robin Williams movie. It's a toss up between Dead Poet's Society or Good Will Hunting. I'm leaning towards Carpe Diem.
  • ^I'm going to check out The Fisher King because it's on Netflix and I hear it's great. It's surprising how many movies you see that Robin Williams did that had similar themes.

Maybe refrain from watching Hook or World's Greatest Dad.
  • Even though the CG is quite dated. Jumanji is still a joy to watch.
  • edited August 2014
    I can't remember the last celebrity that has been so universally mourned. And this has started a more open dialogue about mental health than I've heard in a long time.
    Post edited by Mycroft000 on
  • I don't think I've seen this much outcry over a celebrity death since Michael Jackson.
  • Jumanji and Aladdin were my jams when I was a kid. Also partially Mrs. Doubtfire.
  • I vote for The Birdcage. It's great.
  • One Hour Photo doesn't get enough love. That movie was fucked in the head, let me tell you.
  • I remember seeing The Birdcage in the theater. I don't remember an audience laughing as much in another movie.
  • I want movies that have him as a main role. I actually want to watch all his movies again. But I'll probably stick with DPS.

Bicentennial Man and Toys are also movies I was considering.