This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Personal Weaknesses and Strengths

GeoGeo
edited June 2009 in Everything Else
What are everyone's personal strengths and weaknesses?

One of my biggest strengths is (and has been pointed out by numerous people) that I have an abnormally large amount of empathy and am able to sense how people are feeling based on tiny little signs that would probably elude most people.

One of my biggest weaknesses is that I often don't pay attention to people when they are talking to me which is not a weakness by choice, but is due to the fact that I suffer from a moderate case of ADD.

EDIT: Be honest with yourself and divorce yourself of any egotism or sarcasm you may possess as it will only make yourself look bad.

Comments

• Strengths:
    -Ability to see the "big picture" and small details at the same time.
    -Deeply loving and charitable.
    -Empathetic.
    -Well rounded intellectually (never found a subject I couldn't pick up with minimal effort).

Weaknesses:
    -Hot tempered.
    -Lazy/procrastinator.
    -Quick to judge.
    -Ruthlessly protective of loved ones.
    -Insecure (not always, but more often than I should be).
  • Strengths:
    -Stoic. I was never one to whine about or dwell on the little things. As a result, I'll be the last one to notice when a room's a little hot, or a person's being a bit annoying. I'm altogether just really cool-headed, but can voice my opinion when needed. However, I really ever feel like that's necessary or useful.
    -I've been told I have good Nunchi. Amongst my friends, I am oftentimes a mediator (and have been for people who are almost strangers). For a lot of peers, I am just seen as an extraordinarily nice person. However, oddly enough, I am rarely ever taken advantage of.
    -Natural Optimist.
    -Good speaker, writer, and basically a person who is able to express himself well.

Weaknesses:
    -Scatter-brained in every way one could imagine. I immediately forget things, put them off, get distracted, etc. I'm an intelligent person, I just don't always have control over my mind.
    -Overly critical of myself. Although I rarely ever show it, inside I tend to be pretty harsh and always want to do more. This is rarely ever useful advice, but just riddles me with guilt over slacking off and playing a video game when I could be doing something productive.
    -Not very empathetic. I have a very strict logic. If someone is in a situation that I've never experienced or can't understand ("Why not just find a new boyfriend?" is the example that always seems to come up) I find it hard to generate sympathy. I want to try to fix that thing, or have that person just accept my far-superior thought process, when they just want a little comfort.
    -Very easily swayed. I think everything is impressive and everyone is awesome. I make a decision on a topic, but then will be plagued by the opposing side ("Oh my God, what if the fetuses do have emotions?"). Although this is just a consequence mediating skills, it does lead to problems. If the issue is new or something I'm unfamiliar with, I tend to just accept someone's opinion and regurgitate it, instead of just soul-searching for what I believe.
  • Strengths:
    -Ability to see the "big picture" and small details at the same time.
    -Deeply loving and charitable.
    -Empathetic.
    -Well rounded intellectually (never found a subject I couldn't pick up with minimal effort).

Weaknesses:
    -Hot tempered.
    -Lazy/procrastinator.
    -Quick to judge.
    -Ruthlessly protective of loved ones.
    -Insecure (not always, but more often than I should be).
    I think we might be clones or something because I possess many of, if not all, the traits you have stated. That and the fact that we (at least in my mind) got along pretty well at the last Geekchat.
  • Strengths:
    -Can hide when I'm not confident.
    -Can turn on an aura of cool mystery.
    -Empathetic
    -Wild and crazy when there's a good time to be had!
    -Seeing all sides of a problem and finding a solution.

Weaknesses:
    -Not very confident.
    -Self conscious about my looks and tells my BF too much.
    -Lazy/procrastinator.
    -Not good with time. I'm always late.
    -Secretly shy when with people I look up too. (Not a secret anymore now I guess :P)
    -Not the best at explaining things.
    -Can't carry a conversation well.
    -I have problem learning some things. ( I constantly work harder on this.)
  • Strengths:
    -Awesome.

Weaknesses:
    -Immodest.
  • Strength:
    Heat vision
    Flying
    Super Strength
    Cold breath
    X-Ray Vision
    Super Speed

weakness:
    Kryptonite
    Too Trusting
  • Strengths:
    - Roll with the punchs/adaptable - I adjust to pretty much any situation, and am usually pretty easy going. I also can enjoy myself even if things go slightly wrong.
    -Empathetic - interesting how a lot of people on the forum picked this one. I think I am comparatively empathetic and relatively kind to other creatures.
    -Smart - I may seem pretty spaced sometimes, but I have always been regarded by my teachers and classmates as bright. When I actually sit down to formulate an argument in a formal paper, I think I'm good at articulating my point.
    - Tough - I try to be tough both emotionally and physically. That's not to say that I repress my feelings, but I try to rebound from any disappointment or hurt without much moaning and groaning.
    - Energetic - I like sports! I am genki! Gogogo!
    - Imaginative - one of my favorite elements of my character is that I can imagine things so clearly. I am hardly ever bored, because I can just make up a movie in my head. I'm not the most creative person ever, but I have a pretty active story-mind that keeps me entertained.

Weaknesses:
    -Moody/Tempermental - I explode like a firecracker for like a second, and then I'm done. (I get over things really quickly)
    -Easily Distracted/ Procrastination - Even when there is a deadline, if I am not feeling it, it's really hard for me to concentrate.
    - Neurotically Worried - I compulsively worry about everything, from catching rabies to the idea that people will spread mean rumors about me, from Rym being too sleep deprived to the idea that someone will steal my bike.
    - Shy around people I want to impress - I get awkward and hyper around people I perceive as being "cool," like artists I am fans of or super beautiful girls. I'm getting better about that though.
  • - Shy around people I want to impress - I get awkward and hyper around people I perceive as being "cool," like artists I am fans of or super beautiful girls. I'm getting better about that though.
    Hey your never that way around me.......... Ohhhhhhhhh....^_^
  • I'm already comfortable around you. Your aren't intimidating. Your dad intimidates Scott R., though.
  • I'm already comfortable around you. Your aren't intimidating. Your dad intimidates Scott R., though.
    your supposed to take that as a joke!! :-(
  • edited June 2009
    Strengths:
    -Even-keeled: I prefer this term to "stoic," as stoicism can have negative implications. I'm certainly an emotional person, but I keep it under control so that I maintain an even keel and don't get carried away. This helps me to stay clear and focused in difficult situations.
    -Highly refined critical thinking skills: Being a scientist has refined my latent critical thinking abilities to a very sharp point, at least in the realm of problem solving. I'm also very insightful.
    -Empathetic: I listen when people speak, so I'm very good at forming an emotional understanding with someone one-on-one.
    -Self Knowledge: Of course, this is a trait that everyone here is demonstrating, as we're all talking about our strengths and weaknesses. To know oneself is to know the world.

Weaknesses:
    -Stoic: This is the bad side of even-keeled. I occasionally retreat behind the stony mask of stoicism to escape feeling, bottling things up instead of letting them out as I should.
    -Chronic Over-Thinking: I can't get my brain to shut up, ever. In any situation, I consider numerous possible outcomes and track the likely course of events as they may play out over time. I do this obsessively to the point that I can freeze up with indecision. This can make dates tricky. :P
    -Overly Forgiving: Being empathetic means that, invariably, I see similarities between myself and others, so I find difficulty in holding someone accountable for their mistakes when I feel like we have things in common. I let things go when I really shouldn't.
    -Self-Consciousness: This basically ties into everything else. Because of the aforementioned things, I'm ruthlessly self-critical, to the point where I can convince myself to not act because I fear failure. Again, this can make dates tricky. :P

I'm also arrogant, but I consider that both a strength and a weakness.
    Post edited by TheWhaleShark on
  • edited June 2009
    I spoke with my Mom yesterday and she mentioned the following strengths:
    -Survives hardship with grace and humor
    -Talented performer
    -Uncompromising in morals and standards

and the following weaknesses:
    -Harsh self-critic
    -Too eager to please
    -Unable to overcome guilt
    -Apt to worry or anxiety

It is always interesting to compare one's personal view of themselves with how others view them.
    Post edited by Kate Monster on
  • + awesome

- too much awesome
  • + awesome

- too much awesome
    How introspective and profound, Scott.
  • + awesome

- too much awesome
    You missed "humble."
  • + awesome

- too much awesome
    What did I say about sarcasm and egotism!
  • Self knowing is easy. How many here actively work on their weaknesses/strengths?
  • Self knowing is easy. How many here actively work on their weaknesses/strengths?
    All the time. Every time I encounter a situation where one of my weaknesses impedes me, I actively attempt to overcome it. I usually don't overcome it totally, but I've definitely made progress over time.

I also look to apply my strengths in new situations, to help refine them. Really, I take every situation as a learning experience and an opportunity to improve myself as a person.
    All the time. Every time I encounter a situation where one of my weaknesses impedes me, I actively attempt to overcome it. I usually don't overcome it totally, but I've definitely made progress over time.

I also look to apply my strengths in new situations, to help refine them. Really, I take every situation as a learning experience and an opportunity to improve myself as a person.
    Seriously, why wouldn't anyone work on their weaknesses/strengths? That's one of the fundamental goals in life, to better yourself so that you yourself can feel content about the way you live and how interact with other people.
    Actually, if you asked me for a list 5 years ago, most of my current strengths would probably be weaknesses. I was once a very shy, self-conscious kid (who still had an annoying sense of superiority). I managed to break out of my shell, but kept a sense of modesty that was rooted in my old-self (I know that modesty is difficult to swallow, seeing how self-indulgent this post is). It dramatically changed who I was, and I feel like I'm a better person.

As for my current flaws (which still existed when I suffered from more typical geeky weakness), solving most of them require a lot of self-reflection. These flaws require me to think, my old ones just required me to act.
    Every moment.
  • Weakness:
    Can be a dick.

Strength:
    Willing to be a dick to get shit done.
  • Strengths:
    -Able to keep calm and not let my emotions get hold of me in tense situations.
    -Structured, logical thinker.
    -Tend to look at situations and see how to reverse-engineer them.

Weaknesses:
    -Lack of empathy, tends to be a problem when I need to talk to someone.
    -Problems carrying on a conversation.
    -Taking too long to make decisions.
  • edited June 2009
    *takes notes, just in case one of them becomes a superhero*

Strengths:
    High MacGuyver quotient
    Mechanically inclined
    Technologically inclined
    Able to easily spot flaws in another's logic
    can sleep just about anywhere
    Perfect-ish Pitch
    Is content alone
    Able to keep calm
    Tend to look at situations and see how to reverse-engineer them.
    Empathetic
    Finds it easy to play the "Devils Advocate" (Able to see and understand the opposing point of view and it's merits)

Flaws:
    Charisma -20
    Is uncontent alone
    Math Skills -5
    Socially inadequate
    playing the devils advocate often causes trouble
    Thinks too much when not thinking too little.
    Actively seeks to break down others illusions of life and logically defeat their false beliefs. (EX: Statement: Michael Jacksons death is suspect because financial gains family poisoned him blah blah blah. Answer: Achams Razor; he's old, celebs have lower life expectancies, stressed before tour, on stress relievers/anti-depressants, had a stressful life, heart attack at his age not uncommon....)
    Post edited by Victor Frost on

• Flaws:
    Charisma -20
    Bullshit! Based on talking with ya I think you have charisma oozing out of ya! With the actively breaking down life illusions I something similar with movies and shows. Don't know what to call it. It usually turns into hilarity.
  • edited June 2009
    Strengths:
    Good public speaker
    Resilient
    Easygoing
    Empathetic
    Diplomatic
    Musical
    Good with hardware
    Good writer (occasionally)
    Performs well under pressure
    Good at impromptu things/doing things with no prior preparation
    Able to make people think I am smarter than I am

Weaknesses
    Stubborn
    Lazy/Procrastinator
    Jaded/Detached (occasionally)
    Weak artistically
    Passionate debater/Hotheaded
    Often unwilling to sufficiently prepare
    Strongly opinionated
    Overly cautious
    Addictive personality
    Susceptible to bad ideas
    Time waster
    No sense for fashion
    Post edited by Σπεκωσποκ on
  • (EX: Statement: Michael Jacksons death is suspect because financial gains family poisoned him blah blah blah
    Also, he was apparently like $400 million in debt. Not a lot of financials to be gained there.
  • (EX: Statement: Michael Jacksons death is suspect because financial gains family poisoned him blah blah blah
    Also, he was apparently like $400 million in debt. Not a lot of financials to be gained there.
    All factual arguments like that bounce off them like the "I am rubber you are glue" argument of schoolyard days.
  • Strength:
    I can take enjoyment from other people's misfortune.

Weakness:
    I lack skills.

• Weakness:
    I lack skills.
    How do you mean that? There are lots of different kinds of skills. Like, I'm highly skilled in the art of sticking my foot in my mouth, particularly when talking to females. Do you mean you lack useful, marketable skills?