This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Republican? Just scream and lie.

Comments

• Are some of you living in bizzaro America where home invasions are as common as car accidents?
    No, it's vanishingly rare.
  • Are some of you living in bizzaro America where home invasions are as common as car accidents?
    I live in a community where it's been effectively demonstrated that it only takes one home invasion for your wife and children to be raped and burned alive.

I live in a community where it's been effectively demonstrated that it only takes one home invasion for your wife and children to be raped and burned alive.

And your family is much, much more likely to die burning in a traffic accident regardless. ;^)

And your family is much, much more likely to die burning in a traffic accident regardless. ;^)

Luckily home defense and road precautions aren't mutually exclusive.
  • Firearms hold no romance for me. They make me nervous. I don't own one. I may never own one. An oversized party popper full of rocksalt would be just as attractive to me as a home defense tool as a pistol would be.

That said, I will never vote in favor of banning firearms in the United States. Assault weapons capable of 100 shots in a minute? Yes. Reasonable firearms? No.
  • edited July 2012
    Are some of you living in bizzaro America where home invasions are as common as car accidents?
    No, it's vanishingly rare.
    Oh please. We can't say either way because the FBI doesn't actually track "home invasions". So please show me some actual facts before you make any sort of assertions.

Unless you qualify your statement for the parts of NYC in which you live in (and even then just anecdotal evidence), you are just espousing bullshit.
    Post edited by Andrew on
  • edited July 2012
    Its pretty well documented that crime overall has been declining in the US since the late 90s, so I guess hes basing it on that? The statistical chances of getting invaded are extremely low either way, tho.

In a realistic non-statistical sense, yeah you could be living in a high crime neighborhood and have a higher chance of it happening, especially if you have nice things and arent good at hiding it.
    Post edited by johndis on
  • The statistical chances of getting invaded are extremely low either way, tho.
    [citation needed]

• edited July 2012
    Although I've let myself get more heated than I like, I am not against the concept of weapon ownership, however I've never heard of any serious study that shows that owning a firearm makes you any more safe than not owning one.

These are my central question: Does owning and carrying a gun make you and your family more safe than not owning one? Does living in a community where gun ownership and CCP are common make you and your family more or less safe?

We can throw around nightmare scenarios where having a gun would make all the difference but as everyone in here likes to say, lets see some actual facts.
    Post edited by DevilUknow on
  • edited July 2012
    "Home invasion" is always burglary, so look at burglary statistics.
  • "Home invasion" is always burglary, so look at burglary statistics.
    You forgot rape, assault, and homicide...

• But its always burglary is my point tho. The rate of reported "home invasions" can't be any higher than the rate of burglary, as "breaking and entering" is a necessary part of what a home invasion is.
  • Home invasion always stuck me as either unwelcome gests or the Jones finally get sick of the fence dispute and buy a tank.
  • Here, everybody shut the fuck up and read some numbers:

http://bjs.ojp.usdoj.gov/content/pub/pdf/cv10.pdf
  • Property Crime != typical "Home Invasion" scenario.
  • edited July 2012
    My "home invasion scenario" includes me chopping off the perps limbs with my katana, and then brutally stabshooting them with the gunsword I'm wielding in my offhand.
  • edited July 2012
  • RymRym
    edited July 2012
    Property Crime != typical "Home Invasion" scenario.
    How about all "serious violent crimes" combined? Surely your "home invasion?" fits within that category.

Even in that case, all of those crimes combined in 2010? 1,394,310. Less than half of one percent of the population: for ALL serious violent crimes.

"Home invasion" is surely a subset of this. The odds seem pretty low. It seems pretty paranoid to even consider the possibility, let alone prepare for it with deadly weapons at the ready.

Post edited by Rym on
  • edited July 2012
    -deleted-
  • 0.5% is still quite a lot of crime really.
  • Property Crime != typical "Home Invasion" scenario.
    How about all "serious violent crimes" combined? Surely your "home invasion?" fits within that category.

Even in that case, all of those crimes combined in 2010? 1,394,310. Less than half of one percent of the population: for ALL serious violent crimes.

"Home invasion" is surely a subset of this. The odds seem pretty low. It seems pretty paranoid to even consider the possibility, let alone prepare for it with deadly weapons at the ready.
    About as paranoid as having a security torque driver in your tool chest for the once every 5 or 10 years you need to turn a security torque bolt.
  • edited July 2012
    but does owning a gun make you realistically safer from that crime? Does it offset the increased risk of owning and carrying a gun?
  • 0.5% is still quite a lot of crime really.
    And it includes ALL serious violent crimes. It's also much lower than it used to be, and regional/demographic differences are enormous.

• edited July 2012
    protip: hide your kids. hide your wife.
    Post edited by no fun girl on
  • edited July 2012

Less than %10 of those were committed with a firearm. So less than %.05 of the population being assaulted with firearms.

These same figures are the ones being used to justify greater gun control.

Not enough violent crime to warrant carrying me carrying a gun, but 1/10th of that is enough to warrant saying I'm not allowed to have one?

Post edited by Drunken Butler on
  • edited July 2012
    Property crimes include household
    burglary, motor vehicle theft, and theft. The survey also
    measures personal theft, which included pocket picking and
    purse snatching.
    But you're right - this survey doesn't really account for attempted victimizations. Which means that your "home invasion" scenario probably happens at a higher rate than several of those metrics combined.

Oh, and one thing to note about the "violent crime" numbers:
    bExcludes homicide because the NCVS is based on interviews with victims and therefore cannot measure murder.
    And finally, a 0.5% rate, when dealing with population statistics, can be huge.
    0.5% is still quite a lot of crime really.
    And it includes ALL serious violent crimes. It's also much lower than it used to be, and regional/demographic differences are enormous.

Never did I think I would see something like this from you. You're actually actively attempting to marginalize the US's serious rate of violent crime. I'm not participating in the gun control debate here, but you've made some absolutely ludicrous statements that are not backed up by facts at all.

The homicide rate in the US in 2010 was 4.8 per 100,000 in 2010. About 14,000 murders.

For comparsion, there were ~32,000 traffic fatalities.

But 1.3 million serious violent crimes generated ~14,000 deaths. In 2009, there were about 11 million motor vehicle accidents, resulting in ~36,000 deaths.

Violent crime might happen less often, but each violent crime is more likely to result in death.
    Post edited by TheWhaleShark on
  • Violent crimes resulting in death are the minority of violent crimes though.
  • We're ignoring the fact that guns aren't particularly useful for self-defense: If you're not being threatened with a deadly weapon it's an unjustified escalation of force, and if you are being threatened it's usually too late to draw said gun.
  • edited July 2012
    We're ignoring the fact that guns aren't particularly useful for self-defense: If you're not being threatened with a deadly weapon it's an unjustified escalation of force, and if you are being threatened it's usually too late to draw said gun.
    Wait, what? This is just crazy talk. Properly trained and practiced, I guarantee that a gun is insanely useful for self-defense.

Post edited by Andrew on
  • Wait, what? This is just crazy talk. Properly trained and practiced, I guarantee that a gun is insanely useful for self-defense.

In a typical mugging scenario? Probably not. Unless you're brandishing the thing, anyone wishing you ill on the street will probably be in close physical proximity and/or already physically engaged well before you could draw, let alone fire.