This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Republican? Just scream and lie.

Comments

• Its not like you're the only one on this forum who's ever been asked to back up a claim. It's an integral part of an honest discussion.
  • Its not like you're the only one on this forum who's ever been asked to back up a claim. It's an integral part of an honest discussion.
    It was a stupid quip.
  • I just figured they were talking about the ultraviolet spectrum.
    It was a stupid quip.
    So which statement are you retracting?
    It was a stupid quip.
    So which statement are you retracting?
    That the Democrat party is also a party of feelings.
  • Re Rush: I sometimes listen to him just for giggles at his stupidity. The best thing I heard from him was that ozone cannot be destroyed because E = mc^2. Seriously.

Arguments like this are like zen koans.
  • Well if Bill Clinton balanced the budget I don't have a distinction, considering I lump him in with "today's democrats."
    You seriously didn't know that there was a surplus for several years under Clinton?
    I WAS TWO when he was first elected.
    Yeah, history didn't start until you began paying attention. Don't worry, you're not responsible for knowing anything about what happened in the world before your time.

• Well if Bill Clinton balanced the budget I don't have a distinction, considering I lump him in with "today's democrats."
    You seriously didn't know that there was a surplus for several years under Clinton?
    Yeah, history didn't start until you began paying attention. Don't worry, you're not responsible for knowing anything about what happened in the world before your time.

Can't tell if joking...

Can't tell if joking...
    The greentext was strong with this one.

Yeah. Obviously the reason that I know casualty statistics for the Winter War and both World Wars, extensive information regarding the Schlieffen Plan and the corruption thereof, and the life and times of Joshua Lawrence Chamberlain is because I was actually born in the 19th Century.

Seriously, Jack. I wouldn't be born for another four years at the time, and even I knew there was a surplus under Clinton.
  • edited October 2012

Post edited by ninjarabbi on
  • Oh yeah, well...
  • Trying to vote further left is literally throwing away your vote.
    Yeah, but your vote is worth nothing.
  • I couldn't vote further left than Obama if I wanted to. Jill Stein isn't on the ballot in my home state. I probably wouldn't vote for her anyway, but it upsets me that I don't even have the choice.
  • Write-in. I'd vote for Alexander over Stein, myself, but that's just me.
  • This is pretty devastating.

• Obama doing Cosby.
  • Maybe if Romney wins I'll change my party affiliation. Is there still a lot of money in being Evil?
  • Obama doing Foxworthy.
  • Maybe if Romney wins I'll change my party affiliation. Is there still a lot of money in being Evil?
    Apparently but I'm not getting any of it.
    Apparently but I'm not getting any of it.
    Oh, because Romney operates under the rules of how to get one million dollars and pay no taxes. The rules are:
    1. Get a million dollars
    2. ???
  • Obama doing Foxworthy.
    For me it was more about affect than formula.
  • anyone else find the blond girl distracting? still, romnesia. *grins*
  • I thought Romney's news headline joke was very good.
  • I'mma just leave this here:
    “Wall Street owns the country. It is no longer a government of the people, by the people, and for the people, but of Wall Street and for Wall Street. We want the power to make loans direct from the government. We want the accursed foreclosure system wiped out… We will stand by our homes and stay by our firesides by force if necessary, and we will not pay our debts to the loan-shark companies until the Government pays its debts to us. The people are at bay, let the bloodhounds of money who have dogged us thus far beware…” – Mary Ellen Lease, Topeka, 1890
  • When four Americans get killed, it's not optimal.
  • Boy am I already tired of seeing that "optimal" line out of context. He was responding to that use of vocabulary by the interviewer, and being a bit flip about it.
  • When four Americans get killed, it's not optimal.
    Optimize that shit.

Idea for action movie: Steven Seagal IS . . . THE OPTIMIZER!!!!!111!!!
  • If you think you might be suffering from Romnesia, I have good news: Obamacare covers pre-existing conditions
    :C not bad.
  • Maybe it's not Republicans specifically, but it damn well seems it. I went to a wedding over the weekend where just about everyone was a rich, white person. I mean, they were people who flew up in their private jets to a plantation. Well, two plantations, as the airstrip was on one and the reception was on another.

I can't stop thinking about some of the things that were said, even though no one was talking about politics or anything like that... you could tell. From the bumper stickers (ROMNEY/RYAN WE BUILT THIS) and all. It just makes my head hurt, though...

The only even remotely brown people there were either cleaning, cooking or serving drinks. I was the only person saying "Thanks" to the bartender. No tip jar. The following joke was made over dinner:

"So I went to the bank, and got one of those lollipops they have for the kids... they call in a dum-dum. I went to the teller, and said, 'I didn't know they named lollipops after my wife!' and the teller said, 'Your wife's name is Root Beer?'"

Not a bad joke, but the man across from me made the following response:

"Ha, yeah, and she's not black!"

It was spoken matter-of-factly, not sarcastically.

My friends and I say some reprehensible things, but nothing like that has ever come up. I understand they're older, and maybe they assume modern society doesn't apply to them. Maybe they just assume everyone is like them...

But why does it seem like almost anytime I meet a reprehensible piece of human excrement, it turns out that they vote Republican.