This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Republican? Just scream and lie.

Comments

• "Most Americans don't want less government, they just want government to cost less."
  • I want less government.
  • Me too. I want the TSA and the DHS to be utterly dissolved.
  • AmpAmp
    edited October 2012
    I want less government.
    Out of curiosity why? Not having a dig genuinely interested.

Edit; and to what extent?

Post edited by Amp on
  • I want less government.
    Why? What parts?
  • There's no way for me to put how I feel without seeming like a kook so I'll just say it: I don't think the government should have their grubby fingers in my life or anyone's life. If I felt I needed the kind of help it provides maybe I'd feel different, but I just want to pay my taxes. It may be a slippery slope, but I feel that an entity that provides you everything controls your life.
  • Would it help if the government washed their hands or used hand sanitizer such as Purell?
  • How is the government getting in your way?
  • There are plenty of places on this Earth without a functioning government. All you need is an AK-47 and a plane ticket. Freedom!
  • How is the government getting in your way?
    Not getting in my way so much as telling me what to do.
  • edited October 2012
    There's no way for me to put how I feel without seeming like a kook so I'll just say it: I don't think the government should have their grubby fingers in my life or anyone's life. If I felt I needed the kind of help it provides maybe I'd feel different, but I just want to pay my taxes. It may be a slippery slope, but I feel that an entity that provides you everything controls your life.
    Man, I empathize. Roads, school, police officers, and firefighters sure are fucking up my independence.

Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • There are plenty of places on this Earth without a functioning government. All you need is an AK-47 and a plane ticket. Freedom!
    You missed my point. I like government. I don't like Big government. Scale EVERYTHING back.
  • What are they telling you to do?
  • edited October 2012
    How is the government getting in your way?
    Not getting in my way so much as telling me what to do.
    What are they telling you to do? Vote? Go to work? Pay taxes? Obey laws?

Give a specific example, or else I'm gonna start guessing. How are you going to say that you want to scale back government if you don't have any specific examples of ways to scale it back?

Do you want less of a military? Less social programs, with charitable giving making up the difference? Less law enforcement? Less regulation on pharmaceutical companies? Less regulation on oil companies? Less regulation in general? Less legal requirements for everything?
    Post edited by SquadronROE on
    Have a health insurance policy for one thing, regardless of if my employer provides one or not.

And WUB those things you mentioned are fine.
  • edited October 2012
    What are they telling you to do?
    Have a health insurance policy for one thing, regardless of if my employer provides one or not.

Did you not already have a health insurance policy?

Also, I am very glad that we have your blessing to continue having police and fire departments as well as roads and safe drinking water. I really don't like that you're against health care costing less for me though.

You missed my point. I like government. I don't like Big government. Scale EVERYTHING back.
    To what extent would you scale government back?

Yeah, I still don't like them telling me I HAVE to have one.
  • edited October 2012
    What are they telling you to do?

So you're mad about the government telling you to do something that you were already doing. Do you realize how childish and immature that sounds? Are you also angry that the government doesn't let you sit your child in a car without a car seat? Or are you angry that the government forces car companies to make cars that are fuel efficient?

Despite projections showing that doing so will lower out-of-control health care costs in the long run?

But alright, there's one. What else?

Despite projections showing that doing so will lower out-of-control health care costs in the long run?

But alright, there's one. What else?

He has to pay taxes that go to the SNAP program that feeds people that aren't him.

Cut everything by 50%. Yes that includes the military as well.

And to a certain extent I am upset about regulations, but I recognize some are necessary. Like the car seats, that's a safety thing. Fuel efficiency isn't a safety thing though, and you can only make a car so light and the holes in fuel injectors so small.
  • Fuel efficiency isn't a safety thing? What, exactly, do you think happens to all of Western Society when we hit peak oil?
  • Fuel efficiency isn't a safety thing? What, exactly, do you think happens to all of Western Society when we hit peak oil?
    We go nuclear

Cut everything by 50%. Yes that includes the military as well.

And to a certain extent I am upset about regulations, but I recognize some are necessary. Like the car seats, that's a safety thing. Fuel efficiency isn't a safety thing though, and you can only make a car so light and the holes in fuel injectors so small.
    Everything by 50%. Okay, now we can't adequately respond to disease outbreaks, and we can't investigate terrorism threats, and we can't oversee education, and we can't adequately inspect aircraft.

Also we can't adequately control our airspace traffic, and we can't maintain our roads when they break down, and we can't enforce trade rules because we can't inspect cargo containers, and we can't prosecute kidnappings across state borders.

But don't worry, we'll still be able to test your drinking water at least once a year and we'll be able to replace some of the water pumping equipment and sanitation equipment that goes with it.

Without EVERYONE having one, there's no way to provide health care to everyone. The whole point of health insurance is to distribute the load, and risk, of health issues and injuries.

It would be a much better solution, rather than forcing everyone to have health insurance, to move to a government-sponsored single payer system and eliminate health insurance entirely.

Do you honestly not want health care or health insurance? Do you really think that's a good idea? Do you have any idea how much it actually costs to get a broken arm set, or to get basic treatment for just about anything?

You're basically saying you want the right to make a very poor decision that has the liklihood to harm both you and those around you.
    We go nuclear
    I don't think you understand engineering.
  • edited October 2012
    Fuel efficiency isn't a safety thing? What, exactly, do you think happens to all of Western Society when we hit peak oil?
    We go nuclear
    Oh my god, you have literally NO concept of how these things work.

Oil is essential. Oil is the most important thing in the world. Society needs oil like its people need oxygen. No, nuclear power will not save us; rather, finding a way to produce crude from biomass will. And fuel efficiency is a big part in ensuring that green crudes are affordable for everyone.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on