This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Republican? Just scream and lie.

Comments

• The only way to get politicians to pay attention to you, the young voter, is to convince them that they should, that you are powerful. If they see you as bored and disinterested in politics, they will ignore you because it does not get them anything. The Millennials need to bust out some of that voting block action like the AARP.
    Yeah but Millennials opinions are mostly dumb.

• edited November 2012
    I'm a Millennial. How are my ideas dumber than some conservative retiree's who wants no Islamic centers and no one to ever say the word "fuck" in media?

Edit: Really, I think what Millennials want is jobs, freedom, and stability provided by available healthcare and housing. It is not that different than what many older generations want, except they don't care if their gay friend wants to marry his boyfriend.
    Post edited by gomidog on
  • I'm a Millennial. How are my ideas dumber than some conservative retiree's who wants no Islamic centers and no one to ever say the word "fuck" in media, ever?
    Well if you compare it to senile old racists, of course it's better. ;-)
  • edited November 2012
    Look at how the AARP tends to vote. They are often VERY socially conservative and sometimes border on the racist. Yet, they are a powerful political force that greatly affects the national political discourse.
  • edited November 2012
    I'm a Millennial. How are my ideas dumber than some conservative retiree's who wants no Islamic centers and no one to ever say the word "fuck" in media?
    To quote the first Men in Black movie, "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals and you know it." The same rule applies equally to Millennials and Retirees.

Emily is definitely in the "smart" camp. However, SquadronROE may hit it on the head by saying there are many (perhaps even the majority) Millennials in the "dumb" camp.
    Post edited by Dragonmaster Lou on
  • edited November 2012
    I thought millennials were people born after the millennium.
    Post edited by Victor Frost on
  • edited November 2012
    I thought millennials were people born after the millennium.
    Post edited by Pegu on
  • I thought millennials were people born after the millennium.
    That was my understanding as well.
  • IJGTFY:

"Generation Y, also known as the Millennial Generation, is the demographic cohort following Generation X. There are no precise dates for when Generation Y starts and ends. Commentators use beginning birth dates from the later 1970s, or the early 1980s to the early 2000s decade."
  • edited November 2012
    Edit: Ninja'd by Luke.
    Post edited by Drunken Butler on
  • I'll change my statement then:

"People's opinions are mostly dumb."
  • Being 23 or younger should be considered a mental illness. You need to have the realization that everything you know and value is wrong at least a couple of times before you can be trusted.
  • edited November 2012
    I don't think that I'll ever realize that peace, kindness, and equality are wrong and I've believed in those since I was 5 or younger.
  • I don't think that I'll ever realize that peace, kindness, and equality are wrong and I've believed in those since I was 5 or younger.
    Obviously there are truisms that aren't gonna change, but your perspective on how to best implement peace, kindness, and equality, as well as the fringe definitions of each, will certainly change.
  • I'm a Millennial. How are my ideas dumber than some conservative retiree's who wants no Islamic centers and no one to ever say the word "fuck" in media?
    To quote the first Men in Black movie, "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals and you know it." The same rule applies equally to Millennials and Retirees.

Emily is definitely in the "smart" camp. However, SquadronROE may hit it on the head by saying there are many (perhaps even the majority) Millennials in the "dumb" camp.
    Although judging the collective intelligence of an entire generation seems like a silly idea, I do subscribe that younger people are more influenced by current culture and events moreso than an old fogie who just dwells on the "good ol' days" and wants to stifle scary changes. Therefore, I'd subscribe that the younger vote is likely to vote more progressively and therefore inline with the majority of the ideas and values this forum has deemed "intelligent".
  • I'm a Millennial. How are my ideas dumber than some conservative retiree's who wants no Islamic centers and no one to ever say the word "fuck" in media?

Although judging the collective intelligence of an entire generation seems like a silly idea, I do subscribe that younger people are more influenced by current culture and events moreso than an old fogie who just dwells on the "good ol' days" and wants to stifle scary changes. Therefore, I'd subscribe that the younger vote is likely to vote more progressively and therefore inline with the majority of the ideas and values this forum has deemed "intelligent".
    While there's merit in this idea, some things can be objectively measured, like the utility of environmentalism, or universal healthcare, etc.
  • Although judging the collective intelligence of an entire generation seems like a silly idea, I do subscribe that younger people are more influenced by current culture and events moreso than an old fogie who just dwells on the "good ol' days" and wants to stifle scary changes. Therefore, I'd subscribe that the younger vote is likely to vote more progressively and therefore inline with the majority of the ideas and values this forum has deemed "intelligent".
    Well, I don't want to be accused of claiming that the majority of the Millennial generation is dumb. It's more the case that the majority of all generations are roughly equally dumb. Then again, I'm also a misanthropic asshole at this point, so I may not have the best opinions on the subject.
  • edited November 2012
    I will also say our naivite means we're probably the most easily influenced generation, and we would carry on the ideals of that candidate who actually paid attention to us for those next 50 years of voting...

...fortunately, few politicians ever think beyond their 2-6 year term length. :P
    Post edited by Schnevets on
  • I'm 27. Which arbitrary category of generation do I fall into right now, exactly?
  • I will also say our naivite means we're probably the most easily influenced generation, and we would carry on the ideals of that candidate who actually paid attention to us for those next 50 years of voting...

...fortunately, few politicians ever think beyond their 2-6 year term length. :P
    50 Years ago the AARP crowd were saying the same thing .
  • "Get out and vote for Romney and hopefully the job market will improve."

First line of an email from a relative. >_<

Yeah, changing the President is magically going to remove all the experienced people who were displaced during the recession from the job seekers pool. Is Romney going to round them all up and get rid of them? (I wouldn't vote for that anyway.) There are probably 50 people applying for every job in my field that I have applied for. It's not that there are no jobs; it's that there are a crapton of candidates and many have more experience than me. Get real and stop hoping the President can wave a magic wand and fix that.
  • That's what annoys me the most. The economy is improving (if slowly) and if Romney is elected he'll credit whatever nonsense plan he implements as the reason for the improvement.
  • It bothers me when politicians try to tie weather and climate change together. You want to lessen the economic impact of major storms ? How about not building expensive structures on the beach!

NPR just had someone big from the government huricane center on and he would not link the two saying that while oceans are warming there is not a link to greater storms.
  • edited November 2012
    Bloomberg endorses Obama. This one surprised me.
    Congrats, Obama, now you've got that swing state of New York in the bag!!!

But it all honesty, I just think it's awesome that he did that exclusively for climate change (even if the thought process is questionable). It might be the first time the issue has really lead to some real political action.
    Post edited by Schnevets on
  • Somehow, I feel like Florida and New Orleans should start changing their opinions on Romney based on his stance on FEMA and how they have to deal with Hurricanes/Flooding. But mentioning it now feels like dust in the wind. (inb4)
  • Somehow, I feel like Florida and New Orleans should start changing their opinions on Romney based on his stance on FEMA and how they have to deal with Hurricanes/Flooding. But mentioning it now feels like dust in the wind. (inb4)
    To be fair I don't think anyone is really against FEMA but I do think it is starting to bite off more than it can chew. It has started taking on disasters that could have been dealt with on state and local levels, when it was only supposed to handle disasters too big for those resources. I think Sandy may be a case where we need FEMA though.
  • So they held mock election at my school today. It's unclear to everyone why. It was only the presidential election, so we don't get to see things like Brown/Warren or the ballot questions. The defense of this was that under-18s aren't well informed enough to make a decision on this, but even the administration called bullshit, pointing out that we entrust the actual elections to the equally ignorant masses.

They also didn't check to see if you had already voted, so if you had two history classes (which was when they did them, and I do) you could vote twice. I personally know enough people who did this just to see if it worked to make this more fraudulent per capita than any US election in decades.

The interesting part was the overwhelming support for Jill Stein. Many didn't even know that third parties existed before seeing her and Johnson on the ballot, so when they saw the "Green Rainbow" party, they voted for it for its somewhat ludicrous name. This was a popular choice especially amongst the jocks, whose masculinity insecurity I'd expect to make them avoid it.

It also meant I had to deal with a lot of idiots. I stayed out of the arguments about how to fix voter turn out and how we could better simulate the voting experience at BLS, but when they started talking about the party system I had to weigh in. I had to explain to people the Jefferson v Adams roots of the two parties, and how mathematically fucked third parties are a la 1912. Ms Kirkpatrick (my teacher) is using me as a reference book because of those rants.
  • I think your school simulated the elections well.
  • How to fix voter turnout? Each voter gets candy.